HD 238 -> AT M50 Worth It?
Jun 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

biomedengineer

New Head-Fier
I just bought an HD238 for $60 after rebate and think I got a good deal.

With it being an open headphone, it leaks too much so I'm going to stick with my Sennheiser IEs for public transportation.  But for walking the streets, its small profile is good. 

The 238 was intended to be a compromise for home/public use.  But now that any headphones I get will be relegated for mostly home use, I'm now eyeing an upgrade.

There have been high praises here for the M50.  B&H Photo Video is offering it for $110.  Since the 238 is almost 1/2 the price, is the M50 worth that extra $50? 

Or would you recommend something else in the $80-$120 range?

I listen to: pop (40%), audiobooks (20%), and alternative, rock, instrumental, and R&B at 10% each.

Audio quality is important, but I would like to maximize value too.  For example, any $120 headphones that is only slightly better than my $60 238 would not be worth it.  Appreciate the help and any opinions offered.

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 11
The M50s are amazing headphones (they did need a long break in though) - much better than my Senn HD280s which I own every aspect.  In this $100 price range I haven't heard anything better yet.

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 11
I think the M50's are worth for the price...they do a good job in most music genres, plus They are well regarded here. 

Jun 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 11
Too add, I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the 280s,  I always tend to go to them for mixing/monitoring - they seem to have a "flatter" response than the M50s.  For casual listening though M50 kicks out more low end.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 11
From all accounts the M50s perform well above their price range.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 11
It depends on your tastes.  Sure the M50s might be "highly regarded" here, but make sure it's something that YOU would like.  What would you like your headphones to be like?

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Just got mine a few days ago and love them to death.  Got cashback on them so they were about $96 when all was said and done.  My IEM's are mostly in the fun/entertaining category.  I wanted something more balanced and neutral for more critical listening but still enjoyable.  The M50's lived up to all the reviews for me.  The only improvements I would like would be a bit more presence or forwardness on drums and vocals with a bit better imaging.  For $96 that may not be possible.  The mids are not recessed and the bass is not light, just comfortable, relaxed, neutral experience.  Not boring either.  I am also very impressed by their build quality.  Solid and beautifully crafted like the CK10's.  AT makes great stuff.  I guess Beyer's would be the next thing......then maybe Stax?!  
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Oh God, the M50s are amazing.  And I’m no audiophile.  So what I ended up doing was I returned the HD238, then bought the Creative Aurvana Live for $60 on newegg.com.  I liked it enough, but it just didn’t provide an engulfing experience.  So I picked up the M50 for $110, and wow.

As I said, I’m not audiophile, so I wouldn’t be able to give a technical review filled with jargons such as punchy, recessed, etc…all I can say is that compared to the CAL, my music sounds oh so good and immersive.  I bought the CAL since it’s supposed to be the twin of the expensive Denon DH1001…but after hearing the CAL, I do have to question whether it’s really as good as the Denon, despite it being nearly the same OEM headphones. 

Anyway, so the M50 is really going to me want to become an audiophile.  I want to pick up an open phone next, for under $150.  I’ve been eyeing the Grado Sr60, 80, and Allessandro MS-1.  Would you guys recommend any others?

(BTW: I listened to the SR60 and 80 side by side, and I couldn’t tell the difference after 30 seconds of listening.  So I don’t if recommending the more expensive stuff would do me any good…or maybe I just didn’t get to listen long enough).

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Congrats on the M50! I too found them a good deal ahead of the HD238 SQ-wise. If you're looking for a Grado below $150, pick up the Alessandro MS1i. They would make a great counterpoint to your M50 as far as the sound sig goes, they have this incredibly engaging and upfront midrange that will get your feet tapping.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 11
You guys weren't kidding when you greet new members with the half-hearted apology, "first off, sorry about your wallet."

Just 2 days after getting my M50, I already want to get an additional headphone to round out the types of sound (open vs closed)...which is overkill to most people.  I know the cost of my gear so far is pennies compared to what you guys have spent, but still, all of this is expensive.  My other hobby is photography...and glass is even more expensive.  Why oh why couldn't I just learn to enjoy knitting.

Jul 6, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
You guys weren't kidding when you greet new members with the half-hearted apology, "first off, sorry about your wallet."

Just 2 days after getting my M50, I already want to get an additional headphone to round out the types of sound (open vs closed)...which is overkill to most people.  I know the cost of my gear so far is pennies compared to what you guys have spent, but still, all of this is expensive.  My other hobby is photography...and glass is even more expensive.  Why oh why couldn't I just learn to enjoy knitting.

After headphones and photography, cars would be the next logical step.  Then wives....
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back