Hawaii 5.0 plans
Sep 22, 2001 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
there was some interest in the Hawaii 5.0 loudspeaker and a few Headfizers were interested in the plans.Unfortunately the plans are no longer available as a free download but are on a CDROM with other projects for $19.95 (a bargain).I have the pdf files but the upload is 6.2 megs !!!! Yikes !
Most e-mail delivery systems limit attachments to 1 meg so I could not share even though I wanted to.So I found this today http://myhifisite.50megs.com/1354projects.html ,problem solved
Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 42
here's a pic of one i built:

hawaii5.jpg

if you plan to bulid voigt pipes withthe 1354, i suggeset you check out bob brines' site. i built 1354 voigt pipes according to herb jeschke's dimensions, and found the results unacceptable. at bob's site he addresses some design issues for a voigt pipe with the 1354.
http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pa...sign_Study.htm

Sep 22, 2001 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 42
The skipster and I have been messing around with software, desperately trying to unlock the mysteries of the radioshack 1354 (well, at least I am. Skippy's there to answer questions
biggrin.gif
. He's busy trying to unlock the mysteries of the 1197, I think). I came up with a design that looks promising (the software promises an F3 of 39Hz), and I'm going to try it ASAP. This could prove difficult due to college starting next week, but I'll see if anything's possible. if I make anything, I'll be sure to post results.

Sep 24, 2001 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 42
bingo!

According to the WinISD software I've been using recently, the best enclosure for the 1354 is a 30 liter bass reflex enclosure tuned to 40Hz. I'm going to try and make this design sometime soon to see how accurate the software is. I'm guessing the bass will drop off short of 40Hz, although WinISD claims that its F3 will be 36Hz. Keeping my fingers crossed for the latter...

Sep 24, 2001 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 42
i wouldn't say that a 30l cab tuned to 40 is optimal. it just gives a deeper response than the 'ideal' configuration (i.e. the configuration with the flattest response) at the expense of a small dip in the bass.

i think the 1354 is a very coloured driver. some say that it's coloured in a euphonic way, but i'm not very partial to it's sound.

Sep 24, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 42
skippy's right; there is a dip, and I'm not sure how bad it will be in real life, but according to winISD (I'm afraid I'm going to start saying that too much), the dip was less than 1db. SInce I'm trying to find a way to get the deepest bass response possible with this 1354, I figure it's worth the dip if the bass will go much lower. Chances are I won't notice it...

Sep 24, 2001 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 42
WinISD predicts the bass response of a driver in any size enclosure you could want to test. it'll even give you the proper dimensions so that there will be little to no standing waves inside the enclosure. It's a hell of a lot of fun to play with too!

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 42
I just did a quick check of your suggested design Neruda, the group delay at port tuning is rather high. I remember reading an article (sorry I forgot which magazine and author but I did read and reread the article so you'll just have to trust me?) that discussed how high group delay contributes to a sloppy and ill defined bass, with around 20ms up being noticable. This was in regards mainly to subwoofers (but would apply to any ported speaker), where a particular manufacturer's ported design would exhibit muddiness no matter what was done up the chain. The author blocked one of the ports so that tuning was higher and this cleared up the sound considerabley. I assume this is why the Hawaii 5.0 is so nice sounding from the comments I've read, it's enclosure is smaller than a normal maximally flat alignment and is tuned rather high which lowers group delay.

edit: Oh wait, I meant sloppy bass, not slow bass. Bass is inherently slow (At least I remember it was Mike Walker who pointed the error in calling bass "slow")
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 42
Hey, I just want to know what kind of wood are you guys using for your designs. Most of my furniture is made of pine and given a rustic finish, and I was wondering if I can use it on the Hawaii, the Voigts or even some open baffle designs that I've found on the net and seem quite easy to do for a beginner like me. Please let me know what you guys think, since I am planning on doing some of my own speakers around January or February. Thanks people and friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back