Having Trouble with the Seal of Your UE?
Jan 31, 2008 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

TSi

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I know I might not have much post and everything, but then today i was just playing around with my UE and tips. It was cause I felt that the single flange (large) size was good, but it didnt give me the ULTIMATE seal.

I started checking the UE box again, and apparently theres a book tat tells u how to wear your UE properly. theres also a site on it. So basically I went online and checked.

Apparently, for those with the Super Fi Series, theres a detachable cable, and its made to also "swap" and "interchange your earphones. After I tried this method, I was able to reduce the sound level more, cause the seal was actually really great!

This basically involves swapping the left and right ear, so your right ear wears the left and vice versa! I found it pretty amazing... and now im getting twice as much bass!

Ultimate Ears - super.fi MOD

check it out guys!

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 21
Yar, this was actually discovered by somebody at Head-Fi long ago, and somebody brought it over to UE, who then posted that on their website.

It's mostly called the "Flip-Side Mod," or the "FS Mod."
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 21
id recommend trying to switch the tips.

i was using double flange and the large UE tips, but once i swapped them, i moved down to small tips. the seal has improved and the comfort level is also pretty good.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aloy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha. it depends on you. the fit does improve, and the sound changes too. depends on whether you like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to agree, the sound DOES change. Specifically, it seems like the soundstage is significantly reduced with this mod, even though the isolation is MUCH better.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 21
I use the 'FS Mod' with the Bi-Flange tips, but they don't sit as close to my ear as in the pic on the UE website so i don't get any discomfort. The seal is great.

I don't know whether im just paying more attention recently, but my SF5's just keep pleasing, i keep noticing new things in songs i never did before, and i've had them a fair few months.

Im jumping on the LW bandwagon too, but not sure ill be able to part with these.

Jan 31, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 21
yup, im guessing its one of those "love/hate" things. Some people find that it "defeats" the purpose when u wear it flipped.

In terms of soundstage, I havent really noticed a big difference, but then I need to listen to it a bit more.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 21
To my relatively virgin ears as far as quality is concerned, I am getting great results on my Super.fi3's by using the large tips. Good isolation and great bass response. I have tried the fs mod buy I may if there's a chance it may increase comfort.

Jan 31, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 21
If it wasn't for the FS mod I would have sent my sf3s back because they just would not stay in my ear at all. Once I did the mod though they fit fine. I was wearing double-flange tips on both ears since that is the only one that fits my left ear, but I recently lost one tip so I put a small tip on for my right ear and the sound has actually improved even more for me so I think I'll keep a small on the right one.

I'm actually chomping at the bit to upgrade to sf5 pro's, I'm just waiting for a really good sale to pop up...

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 21
I tried the FS mod with my Triple.Fi's and I can't say I hated it; the fit is nice, although I've never had a problem with UE phones as far as fit goes anyway, but I didn't like what it did to the sound. The bass went from controlled and punchy to muddy and all over the place while almost everything else was drowned out. It almost sounded like I'd turned on the iPod's bass boost.

I never tried it with the Super.Fi's before I sold them, unfortunately. I'm curious to hear how it effects their sound.

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 21
I use etymotic grey foam tips on my UE - I stretch the plastic tube with long nose pliers to fit the UE. To/for my ears me the fit, comfort, and sound of the foam tip is better than the any tip provided by UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back