Having trouble deciding what IEMs to buy...
May 28, 2009 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

queuewindow

New Head-Fier
Hi there! I'm looking to buy a pair of IEMs since the right channel in my Denon C700s mysteriously decided to play at half the volume of the left one.

I've decided that it's time to upgrade, and I'm looking for something a bit more expensive this time. Only problem is, I can't stand harshness. I realize it's more a property of the recording than the IEMs, but I'd still like to minimize it as much as possilbe. The C700s sounded fine to my ears, but I found myself reaching for the volume control often, a lot more often than with some lower quality phones in fact. The only preferences I have other than that are rich vocals and a 'fun' sound, I don't care much for accuracy.

I'm looking at the SE530 now since it's so highly recommended, but I can't seem to find anything about the harshness/lack of. I'm also considering the IE8 and the Westone 3 (leaning towards the latter since I intend to get a custom mold in the future). Any other models in this price range I should be aware of?

I should also mention that I'll be running these amped and unamped, from a Walkman S639.

Thanks!

May 28, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 17
The new Westone UM3X has a great midrange without being harsh. Many think it improves upon the Shure SE530. I have the UM3X currently, and I also have the Phonak PFE to compare it to. I am really liking them both, but I am finding better clarity with the PFE if I use the right synergistic setup.

The "right" setup for the PFE seems to require external amplification instead of the headphone out of my iPod Classic. I'm using the Fiio E5 amp connected through the line out of my iPod. The UM3X, on the other hand, sounds great unamped.

May 28, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 17
^
Haha I love that avatar. I'm literally laughing out loud right now.
icon10.gif

"To me, it look like a leprechaun!"

May 28, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 17
I don't know about the PFE. It looks really uncomfortable to wear for any length of time, and I often wear my IEMs up to 8 hours a day, plus I usually have to run them unamped. This is actually the first I've heard of the UM3X though. Looking at the product page, it seems like they were designed with accuracy in mind. I guess I'll go research them now. Just to be clear, they don't suffer from any harshness, yeah?

May 28, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 17
id quite a gree with the se530 suggestion, its great but it may not be the most fun IEM ever.

if you want similarly pleasant mids but maybe a little more fun, ie more treble and bit more oomph in the low end i might suggest the IE7. its a bit less detailed but you said thats not a problem.

its an IEM that can be worn all day comfortable bot in fit (see tips in my sig) and acoustically. things like the IE8 i find are too trebley for any more than few hours of listening.

May 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 17
I own both the W3's and IE8's. It's a tough call. I personally have not experienced harshness with the W3's and I would definitely consider them more "fun" then the IE8's but a lot of people seem to have problems with the W3's and sibilance. I think if you get custom tips for the W3's you won't experience sibilance with them, or you could just be lucky like me *knock on wood* and not have any trouble with the tips provided.

The W3's have nice bass, are very transparent and have very flashy treble as well. The vocals are quite clear and so far I've had no sibilance. It could have something to do with my genres but I don't know.

The IE8's sound pretty thick and I did have fit problems with them for a while but they sound great too once you get a fit. They're pretty laid back though especially compared to the W3's so I have a hard time recommending them for "fun" compared to the W3's.

The UM3X's remind me of the IE8's a little just because they're so damn smooth. They are a bit more engaging due to the vocals but they don't have the wow factor of the W3's. I have no doubt anyone could listen to them all day long with no fatigue due to the treble which is very detailed but not splashy. They're also much cleaner sounding than the IE8's but still maintain definite warmth.

I guess in a sense I'd consider the UM3X a middle ground between the IE8's and W3's.

May 28, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 17
Alright. I usually have problems with sibilance more than other people so I guess the W3 is out, and the IE8 isn't suitable for long-term listening so that's out too. I guess it comes down to the SE530 and the UM3X.

Any other alternatives I should consider?

May 28, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 17
I listen to the IE8s for 5 - 6 hours a day with no problem. I could go longer if I wanted to. How long is long-term to you?

May 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by queuewindow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 8 hours I guess, but I've read many reports that the bass on the IE8 is overwhelming

It should not be a problem if you dont trun your clear bass on

May 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 17
Since you seem to have both the UMX3 and the IE8, would you mind telling me which one is more likely to exhibit harshness? I read the post in your sig and they both honestly sound really enticing, but I find that my ears can't take very much at all

May 28, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 17
What do you mean by harshness?

UM3X suffer from problems of bad recording / old recording / low quality music quite badly. UM3X reveal flaws and sometimes vocal sounds hollow. That is never happened to IE8.

It is totally fine when quality of music is good.

Sometimes, IE8 high could be harash for me. I prefer how UM3X is doing at high end

May 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm talking mostly about poorly mastered music, with compression/loudness etc. that makes the high end sound like digital mush. If the IE8 handles poor masters better I just might go for that

May 29, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 17
Ok here's to making your decision more difficult!! I recently upgraded from the denon c700. After some heavy listen and comparisons between the W3, UM3X and IE8 I chose the IE8. To me they are way easier to listen to than the C700 which had harsh treble at times.
I actually preferred the C700 to the SE530 ( that's just me though, maybe I love my treble too much or perhaps I like the C700 sound signature more)). The UM3X and SE530 are very similar in my opinion. What really sticks out with the UM3X is the very prominent midrange. I love me some forward vocals, but I wasn't sure that I'd always be in the mood for such upfront vocals. They are very good IEMs though.

I had no sibilance issues with the W3 and would have preferred them to the UM3X if it wasn't for the mid bass hump. Had I not read about it I may not have noticed it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss my friend! They offer greater clarity and Instrument separation/Imaging in comparison to the IE8.

The IE8 to my ears offered a much more engaging and fun sound than all the other IEMs I tried.Some folks describe the c700s as having recessed mids and I just can't seem to noticed that at all. The IE8 mid range is more forward than the C700 though. To me they are not too forward or too recessed. Just the way I like them.They give me lots more breathing space than the UM3X. IE8's sound stage as you may know by now is definitely much larger than all the others as well. I am hesitant to describe the IE8 as laid back because they never lose rhythm and pace with any high energy music I throw at them.(In fact they are more engaging with rock than the other IEMs I tried). Coming from the C700 I also appreciate the ease at which I can listen to the IE8. They may not be as accurate and trasparent as the others but they sure are loads of fun to listen to.

Good luck in finding a worthy upgrade to your C700s
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back