Having trouble deciding between Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ES10
Apr 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nintendork

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!

After reading reviews on Head-Fi for a while and utilizing r/headphones, I've decided to make a profile so that I can get advice before my first serious headphone purchase. First, a little background. I love many types of music from rock to classical to J-Pop. I also arrange music, so i need good instrument seperation and clarity when I am listening to a recording with the intention of dissecting the parts for arrangement. While sound quality is very important to me, I also am into the style and aesthetic of a set of headphones. This brings me to the Audio Technica ESW9 and ES10. I've read up on both, and they seem to fit my bill pretty well: portable, stylish, and with great fun sound.

To start, style. I like both, the ESW9s with their wooden cups and better ear pads. I feel like these are a classier look. As for the ES10s, the titanium with the hairline brushing, although I would worry about scratching them. They are a little flashier, but I feel like they still have good style and I take meticulously good care of my stuff, keeping them in a case and polishing them after each listen. I know they both will look good,I just want a little opinion on the titanium.

Secondly, is sound. Like a stated above, one of the things that drew me to these headphones was the description of their sound as fun. I saw that the ES10s have 53mm drivers and have been described as having excellent bass, clear and loud, even if the high end lacks a little sparkle. The ESW9s I've heard a lot less about, except being warmer sounding with a similar feel to the ES10s.

Basically, what it comes to is which will perform better in instrument seperation and clarity. I'm also concerned about scratching on the titanium ES10s, but that takes a back seat to seperation and sound quality. I must say, the large drivers of the ES10s.

I really just want some feedback on which would suit my needs better, and I'd love to hear any advice!

Thanks everyone!

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 8
I been using the ATH-ESW9 for several months as my main portable headphones, no regrets buying them.

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 8
Would you mind elaborating? If you listen to any classical or orchestral (or anything with instrumental exposure) how easy is it to hear individual instruments and individual notes? Also, would you describe them as being pretty transparent, with balance between bass, mid and treble or having a bit more personality and color?

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Would you mind elaborating? If you listen to any classical or orchestral (or anything with instrumental exposure) how easy is it to hear individual instruments and individual notes? Also, would you describe them as being pretty transparent, with balance between bass, mid and treble or having a bit more personality and color?

Currently listening to 1812 with the ESW9s on, sounds good to me.
I've only listen to a few classical pieces and watched Amadeus several times, otherwise not really into Orchestral.
I do like to listen sometimes to modern Celtic and Adrain Von Ziegler on my Sony E474 mp3 player, with the ESW9s plugged in.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 8
My advice is to see if you can't get a pair of ESW9LTDs, which are a bit more resolving. Once they stop selling them, then the price will shoot up. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 8
My advice is to see if you can't get a pair of ESW9LTDs, which are a bit more resolving. Once they stop selling them, then the price will shoot up. 

Those actually look ideal, save maybe the ESW10s or ESW11Ltd. They are a little out of my price range, under 400 is what I'm shooting for. I found them for 350 at accessoryjack.com, but if there's another place I buy them under 400, I'd really like to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back