Having survived H1N1.......
Dec 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 24
Wow, Budgie. I'm glad you are feeling better and hope things continue to improve quickly for you.

I think this should be a lesson that anyone who is vulnerable to the flu needs to be vaccinated against both the seasonal flu and the novel H1N1 strain. Budgie's situation could happen just as easily with the seasonal flu. It kills tens of thousands of people a year and is not to be underestimated. Having a second strain out there only makes things worse since it increases the odd of getting some type of flu.

I had the flu, presumably H1N1 since it was overwhelmingly the most prevalent type of the time, back in early October and although it was the shortest round of flu I had ever had (only had it twice before that in my life, though), it was the most severe I could remember. That flu also had struck just after I had gotten over a round of sinusitis and bronchitis and caused a recurrence of both. I was glad that the most severe symptoms only lasted 36 hours because I hadn't been that miserable since I had gotten mononucleosis almost 4 years ago (which was far, far worse than the flu and was as close to mortal danger as I have ever gotten with a bug).

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 24
I found out today (follow up appointment) that the flu was over in about a week, but allowed/caused a viral pneumonia to get into both sides of my lungs. That's when the real problems started.

Donovan, that sounds like a huge suck-fest! It's good when we can talk about this stuff in past tense. It does makes me take my lifestyle/ health a lot more serious, now. What stuck me most strongly was how helpless I was.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What started out as a seemingly typical flu infection rapidly turned into a 24 hour stay in an emergency room, followed by 4 days in the hospital on IV's and oxygen, and now, over two weeks since discharge, I am starting to get some strength back and I may be able to go back to work after Christmas. I hope to get rid of the oxygen tank soon, also!

I guess my point is don't underestimate this bug. I nearly ended up on a respirator. My doctor says I dodged a bullet. He has patients in much worse condition then myself from H1N1. (comatose for example)

I caught it on a domestic flight (Portland OR. to Boise ID.) I learned my lesson. I will be one of the people wearing a mask on the next flight I take. I don't ever want to have anything like this again, nor would I wish it on my worst enemy. (Something to think about if you travel.)

The whole episode made me realize just how fragile our health really is. Take care of yourselves and those you love and enjoy your time with them. Happy Holidays!

I am glad to hear you are doing better, and am sorry you were in such bad shape! My sister had H1N1, as well as strep throat at the same time. She was pretty much dead for a week, but other than that I never though much of it and figured all the drama over H1N1 was mostly media hype.

I decided no the get vaccinated as my father and my girlfriend have had H1N1 as well (and yes it was confirmed by the doctor). My father slept all week, coughed like a maniac, and wore thousands of blankets, same for my girlfriend. I have never seen people be so sick in my life. I figured if I managed not to get it after all three of them did, I'll be ok... or so I hope. Truth be told I hate needles... But they offer the vaccine for free in local shopping centres, so maybe I'll pay one a visit.

Best of luck to you in the new year and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 24
For anyone wondering, H1N1 is very rarely fatal, but it has created such attention due to its very rapid onset and very severe symptoms (dry non-mucus cough being a very big sign it's H1N1). It can be alarming, but it does not seem to have the ingredients to kill, even compared to the slower, less "severe" traditional seasonal flu's out there.

Dec 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #23 of 24
Well i am glad that you are ok Budgie. I wish you a speedy recovery and i hope that you still manage to enjoy the holidays despite everything that happened. It does make me think that i need to be a lot more careful with my health.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone wondering, H1N1 is very rarely fatal, but it has created such attention due to its very rapid onset and very severe symptoms (dry non-mucus cough being a very big sign it's H1N1). It can be alarming, but it does not seem to have the ingredients to kill, even compared to the slower, less "severe" traditional seasonal flu's out there.

This is not the case. H1N1 is a dangerous flu because of WHO it affects, not how many. The seasonal flu is busy killing 85 year old grandparents who already have health conditions. H1N1 doesn't affect this demographic and instead is busy targeting younger people who are healthier and better able to fight it than the elderly would be.

Just because there are less people dying from H1N1 doesn't mean its less dangerous than the seasonal and people ought to do whatever it takes to protect themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back