Having survived H1N1.......
Dec 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Budgie

Never looks a gift amp in the jackhole.
What started out as a seemingly typical flu infection rapidly turned into a 24 hour stay in an emergency room, followed by 4 days in the hospital on IV's and oxygen, and now, over two weeks since discharge, I am starting to get some strength back and I may be able to go back to work after Christmas. I hope to get rid of the oxygen tank soon, also!

I guess my point is don't underestimate this bug. I nearly ended up on a respirator. My doctor says I dodged a bullet. He has patients in much worse condition then myself from H1N1. (comatose for example)

I caught it on a domestic flight (Portland OR. to Boise ID.) I learned my lesson. I will be one of the people wearing a mask on the next flight I take. I don't ever want to have anything like this again, nor would I wish it on my worst enemy. (Something to think about if you travel.)

The whole episode made me realize just how fragile our health really is. Take care of yourselves and those you love and enjoy your time with them. Happy Holidays!

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 24
It's very dangerous travelling at this time of the year. With a name like Budgie, I hope you didn't get bird 'flu too.

Glad to hear you're better and thanks for the memory jogger. It would be great if people in our cities even thought to cover their mouths when sneezing. We haven't even progressed that far as a society here......let alone think of using face masks when ill....

Good luck! Drink plenty of isotonic fluids too whilst listening to music!

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 24
If I ever get the FLU (which I never have), I want to get H1N1. One of the most hyped viruses, but one of the least lethal "big" flu's in history. It'd be good for bragging purposes.

It'd be cool to say I had scarlet fever, fifth disease, and swine flu. Resume continue onwards!

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 24
I had it and it was a minor flu for me. Guess it really depends on how lucky you are.

Best wishes to people like the OP, of course.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 24
I'm glad that you are ok, and hope that you are back to 100% by the end of the holiday season. This is a great example of why people should get vaccinated, there is no good reason to not get it!

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 24
A lot of the kids in the institute here got swine flu. They just go missing for a week and return like nothing happened.......

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get off the internetz before you infect us! Everybody panic!!!

Don't worry, my anti-virus software is up to date.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 24
I got it late September. lost 5 lbs and felt terrible for a few days, but never got really bad.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 24
Good to hear that you are recovering. All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back