Having playback issues with my modded Ipod classic
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tylerdurden389

New Head-Fier
I've had help from 2 members here before but the last one I was corresponding with hasn't responded to an email I sent them over 2 months ago (even though the last time we spoke was less than 2 years ago). Basically the problem is it skips songs when a new one is about to start (and sometimes skips mid-way through the song currently playing), and now sometimes it freezes even though it's playing, and plays when it's supposed to be paused. Lastly, there's little lines/streaks on the screen that won't go away. I've had this problem for a while now and the last time the person who'd been helping me didn't actually fix the problem (and on top of that it took me a long time to put all my music back on the thing). I was dissapointed since they'd previously helped me with other issues the ipod had before this.

It's either a 6G or 7G that originally had 160gb but now has a 256gb SSD. If anyone can diagnose and fix this problem I would REALLY appreciate it.

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 5
From what I've read the SSDs dont work as well as the SD card adapters. There are reliability problems. Are you using an iFlash? They have a lot of info about ipod modding on their site. (iflash.zyx)

If you're using the stock software you might wanna give Rockbox a try. It's a custom firmware you can install alongside the stock firmware.

How many tracks do you have on it? It varies by model but if you exceed 50,000 you'll have problems.

I'm waiting on parts to mod my own 7G but stupidly ordered the battery from a Chinese supplier. Estimated delivery date June 15th 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 5
From what I've read the SSDs dont work as well as the SD card adapters. There are reliability problems. Are you using an iFlash? They have a lot of info about ipod modding on their site. (iflash.zyx)

If you're using the stock software you might wanna give Rockbox a try. It's a custom firmware you can install alongside the stock firmware.

How many tracks do you have on it? It varies by model but if you exceed 50,000 you'll have problems.

I'm waiting on parts to mod my own 7G but stupidly ordered the battery from a Chinese supplier. Estimated delivery date June 15th 🤦‍♂️
Is iFlash the same as Tarkan? Tarkan is / was UK based and sold similar adapters so I assume its him. If so, Tarkan is something of a whiz at this stuff and its worth asking. He took pity on me once and helped me assemble a working unit from two dead units. I doubt he would do that again but he sure went the extra mile.

Modding ipod players actually recently made my Google news feed!

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah that's probably the same guy who runs iFlash, it's UK based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back