Having a hard time finding an IEM...
May 10, 2008 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

[zero]

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own UE Super.fi 3's, but now I'm looking for a replacement IEM. I don't really like how the SF3 sticks out, even doing the flip flop/flip-side mod.

First off, things I am looking for:
-SQ (at least on par with SF3, if not better)
-Isolation (at least on par with SF3, if not better)
-Relatively small body (smaller than SF3 would be nice)
-Relatively robust cable (not thin like Ety's although not as stiff as the UE cable. Must be Y-cable, preferably one that does not require an extension)
-$100 or less would be nice
-I listen to mostly rock sub-genres

I first took a look at the Denon AH-C551's, but it's lack of isolation plus the fact that the main cable was extremely short annoyed me. I was then thinking about the Audio Technica ATH-CK7's, but from what I've read, the isolation isn't that great either.

Does anyone have any IEMs to recommend that is on par with what I am looking for?

May 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 7
x2 on RE2's!
They don't stick out much, and as Tomikans stated, they isolate well. I can barely hear anything on the bus.
RE2's are great for rock. The bass isn't at all overpowering, but is enough to keep the music fun. Mids are nice and smooth; guitar solos are great on these.
When speaking to Fang at the NYC spring meet, I believe he said that he was looking for something in between the Ety and UE cables, and I think he achieved just that.
It does, however, have a fairly short main cable, but I believe it's longer than the C551. (The cable on the RE2 is long enough to allow you to put your MP3 player in your pants pocket.)

I wouldn't recommend the C551, because the bass is just too much. I recently referred a friend to Head-Fi, and he went for the C551. I tried them, and even when EQ'd, I just can't stand the bass. It's way too muddy and uncontrolled.

May 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Another vote for RE2 with its big bi-flanges. The only part it might not fit your need is its cable, which is a bit short on my taste. Check out my review in my signature.

May 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 7
x5 RE2s

The cable length is fine.. It fits in my pockets pretty fine.. with a few inches as reserve.

The cable is quite thick. and is smooth (kinda ipod's ephone cables) which is gr8... as it doesnt entangle so much and is easily untangle. (In case someone did it for you)

The white double flangs, gives me the best fit I ever had.
It is very soft, the inner flang is thin.. and it takes the shape (almost) of my ear canal.
It can even support the weight of my iAudio7, without the ephone coming out.
With these flangs the isolation is excellent too.

Edit : Yesterday I checked the phones in the gym... with usual loud music...
I couldnt hear a thing untill the song changes or the music goes silient.
So it does provide with excellent isolation.

May 12, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 7
UM1:

-SQ (at least on par with SF3, if not better) *TICK*
-Isolation (at least on par with SF3, if not better) *TICK*
-Relatively small body (smaller than SF3 would be nice) *TICK*
-Relatively robust cable (not thin like Ety's although not as stiff as the UE cable. Must be Y-cable, preferably one that does not require an extension) *TICK*
-$100 or less would be nice *TICK*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back