Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,931 of 4,032
Would the havi b3 pro 1 be suitable for commuting without an amp? from what I know, the havi b3 pro 1 is quiet without an amp? are there any other changes to the volume with an attached amp? 

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #3,932 of 4,032
  Would the havi b3 pro 1 be suitable for commuting without an amp? from what I know, the havi b3 pro 1 is quiet without an amp? are there any other changes to the volume with an attached amp? 

I used mine to commute and it was sufficient for me out of my smartphone (BlackBerry Z30). without the use of a portable amp. YMMV depending on your mode of commute of course.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3,934 of 4,032
  These have to be, without question, one of the absolute worst-sounding headphones I have ever heard. They do absolutely nothing well. They're harsh, flabby, have a terrible channel imbalance, and sound confused with even the most basic music. Tyll was spot-on when he called these things "an abomination." 

Why anyone would ever even consider these when the Vsonic VSD3S are massively superior in every way for a mere $50 is beyond me.

Most likely you have a faulty pair, specially since you mention about channel imbalance as well. It might be worth it if you can replace. 

In my opinion the VSD3S and the B3 PRO I are in the same league in terms of technical performance, just different in terms of sound signature. VSD3S has a fun oriented sound that works well with most things, specially modern music due to its generous bass presence and overall natural frequency response. On the other hand the B3 is treble oriented and has a boosted upper mid that gives it the sense of clarity and detail that everyone here seems to love.

Both sounds awesome and are great values at their respective price points. I slightly prefer the VSD3S but in no way are they massively superior to the B3's.    

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #3,935 of 4,032
  It seems the Havis are being called into question in recent posts. Don't worry guys, mine will be here in a day or two and I'll settle this once and for all. 
tongue_smile.gif

I'll be getting my pair of gr07's in about a week.. I'll be looking forward to your impressions. Then let's compare notes. 
L3000.gif
 lol

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #3,936 of 4,032
Any of guys seen the measurements from Tyll, could it be a faulty unit or a case of what sounds good need not measure good! 

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #3,938 of 4,032
  I'll be getting my pair of gr07's in about a week.. I'll be looking forward to your impressions. Then let's compare notes. 
L3000.gif
 lol

gr07 mk2/ce and havi are not compatible at the same time.U will go deaf with gr07 sibilance after u try havi for a week and would hate the softness of havi after u try gr07 for a week
etysmile.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #3,939 of 4,032

Thanks for the reply mate, will keep an eye out for them to see if I come across a sale of something. I love how female vocals sound on the Havi, especially Maria Mena. How are the IM50s in that department? Sorry don't mean to derail the thread, just hoping to get the impressions from someone who owns both the IEMs :)

Vocals on Havi is more recessed compared to IM50s while they sound fuller and more forward in presentation on IM50s. When a/b'ing both the first thing you will notice is the upfront vocals and the bass which is also bigger and fuller in IM50. The soundstage is wider and a bit deeper on Havi. It is all down to preference as I choose IM50 over Havi anytime for listening vocals. 

Hope this helps.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #3,940 of 4,032

Vocals on Havi is more recessed compared to IM50s while they sound fuller and more forward in presentation on IM50s. When a/b'ing both the first thing you will notice is the upfront vocals and the bass which is also bigger and fuller in IM50. The soundstage is wider and a bit deeper on Havi. It is all down to preference as I choose IM50 over Havi anytime for listening vocals. 

Hope this helps.

Oh, there is so much confusion here, I'm gonna throw my Havi out. would you take it bro? ozkan 
devil_face.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #3,942 of 4,032
  Oh, there is so much confusion here, I'm gonna throw my Havi out. would you take it bro? ozkan 
devil_face.gif

Haha if you throw them out, I will catch them before they drop on the floor you know that bro. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #3,943 of 4,032
To everybody concerned with basic seal, channel imbalance, faulty units etc - the simplest way is to play some pink noise. It can be had online in numerous ways, here
just one : https://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise

You should get a steady "pillar" of sound dead center in your head - anything else is "something wrong". Start with the tips - you may well find that tips you thinkt to be OK actually do not seal *that* well as you thought.

That sound should, above all, sound SMOOTH - if any particular portion of spectrum sticks out, it should be readily apparent. If there are any inbalances, it will be audible instantly.

Regarding both (to me ) known measurements of Havi B3 Pro1 (old version ) - those must have been defective samples. The level of distortion is still very high, but balance issues SHOULD NOT BE THERE. The whole situation did make me apprehensive regarding the purchase of yet another spare pair of B3 Pro1s - if it turns up to be light years removed from SQ of the pair I own, it would just be waste of time.

I wish Havi would tighten up the QC - TT Pod 1(E) are guaranteed to be +- 1dB of within each other, which IS very decent matching, specially for the price. I would prefer Havi B3 Pro1 to be  measured and graded, similar to phono cartridges by Grado - the same model of each cartridge from the production line gets tested and graded according to the tolerances; natuarally, mid level costs more than basic, top level more than mid.

Sauggestion $ 40 for the basic, $ 80 for mid and $ 150 for top level - all GUARANTEED. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #3,945 of 4,032
It's been over a week now since I received a pair of Havi's as gifted most generously by gyx11 so here are my impressions.

These are great earphones: a big step up from my KZ EDSE's and much closer to my Sennheiser HD555 cans in both soundstage and clarity, while not suffering from the slightly distant and sluggish feel of the 555's.

I've been using an NX1 amp with iPad3 and Sansa Clip Zip, both sounding great.

Tips make a world of difference with these IEMs.

The Sennheiser Double Flange tips have the big soundstage and impression of being sat in the recording studio, but they don't seal very well for me so the bass disappears unless I press them in every couple of minutes.

Havi blacks have less soundstage/3D but more bass and mids and seal more reliably.

Whites are somewhere between the blacks and Senns, for some reason I don't get on with them.

Black foamies have plenty of bass with the least soundstage of all while having the best seal. These are great for listening on the go thanks to the superior isolation and punchy low end.

I've settled on the foamies for now as I got tired of struggling to make out the bass parts in everything. This means I'm losing out on some of the Havi magic so maybe if there are some larger double flanges to be found somewhere(?) I'll give them a go.

So..they are great. They're my only choice now for all listening. The analytical aspect of them is great, to the extent that some old recordings with overdubs recorded in wildly differing rooms now sound ridiculous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back