Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,276 of 4,032
B3 can´t really be used with a cellphone. I have the LG G2 and while it sounds good, the amp is to weak for anything over 16 ohms really. Pair the B3 with let´s say a Drafonfly, Audioengine D1 or any cheap dac/amp combo or A ipod with a LOD and a cmoy.. It´s a vast improvement! 

This!

Guess I really have to consider getting me an amp..
Oh my poor wallet..

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #1,278 of 4,032
  Yeah we started discussing tips again a few pages back. I noticed that the senn double flanges I got from ebay seemed to be a bit sturdier. Even then the biflanges don't fit me terribly well, I get a good seal in one ear but the other just doesn't quite work for long. Isolation is not very good on these even when they seal well.

I really like the infamous JVC spiral dot tips but they're a bit pricey, and I seem a bit between sizes so after 3-4 hours they become a bit uncomfortable. Better isolation than senn biflanges, seem to give me the smoothest sound without losing soundstage.

Another option I enjoy is a long, narrow biflance such as those from meelectonics (comes in several colors). With these make sure to push the tips all the way down past the normal section of the stem until the body of the IEM. These have pretty good isolation and increase bass a bit, but I hear a bit of tameness added to the treble... Others have actually commented that they liked the treble more with these kinds of tips. Slight loss of soundstage width is likely here.

Every once in a while if I need long-lasting comfort I'll switch back to using comply t-400 or comply ts-400 . The T series can be a bit weird because they're very long so the Havis will not really sit flush in your ears when using them. I have been considering stretching some out to fit over the fat part of the stem but have not yet done so.  Slight rounding off in the highs and lows as is typical with foams.

Another user liked these skullcandy replacement tips from ebay. Mine are still in the mail, so I can't comment on their sonic signature. 

Other than that I occasionally go back to the stock black/red silicone tips that came on them, as they seem to be a solid all-around tip for them. 

Yeah it's been pretty much universally agreed that the Havis need a bit of extra amplification to shine. They even like the high gain settings on some portable amps. When I get my full desktop setup all together next week or so, we'll see how they sound on a real desktop amp.

i'm currently using them with my philips she3590 tips mediums, i find they are a good balence between the sony hybrids and the sen biflange, plus it seals and isolates better but i do feel the soundstage strunk just a bit but gives it a more full bodied bass

in regards to the amplifcation, just looking at the specs it really doesn't look like it needs amplification. i always thought in ears in general don't really need amplifcation to shine because i haven't seen any in ears that need that much juice in general. 

i think the havis still work on my ipod touch but i have to juice it up basically 1/2 way (8/16) which is unheard of. i've never had to turn it up that much (even with many of my portable headphones) but that said most of those are low impedence. 

also something to add to the thread, i'm a/bing them with my hifiman re400 which was my standard for neutrality and transperancy for under 100$. i've only had the havis for about 1 day and a half but i can see the havis replacing my re400s as my top recommendation for a budget neutral earphone. 

so far it doesn't have that flimsy cable on the re400, and it just has a much much more expansive soundstage and can easily be tuned to be bassier with just stock red tips or the sony hybrids. 

its even more expansive sounding (both in width and height)  than my gr07be and psh its only 1/3 of the price 0.0" i still like the gr07be more in general but its impressive how well the havis stack up

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,279 of 4,032
  Yea, I think I should try it with an amp and see how it goes. Btw, anyone has trouble wearing over the ear? It keeps falling off!

i find these guys in particular you have angle them so that the its like like this... 

/     <-- with the bottom part earphone (where the tip is) pushed in farther than the top.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,280 of 4,032
something i forgot to add is that the only reason i have a hard time recommending the havis to anyone is just the fact it kinda needs amplification. (like it can work without it) but again this is the first time i actually encountered an earphone that has better separation and wider sounding with amplication. 

i always thought most of the problems can be alleviated by just turning up more volume to provide more juice, and that the ipod touch would be able to pump up enough juice for most things (anything under 50 ohms anyway, and around 110 to 120 DB sensitivity) anyway

and mostly members of head-fis and some of the chinese populations are the ones using portable amplifiers.

for the general public, most people don't want to carry around extra gear.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,281 of 4,032
can a fiio x3 power these? what about a sansa clip zip?

where am i supposed to buy these? i found this site:http://penonaudio.com/HAVI-B3-PRO
i'm not sure if that's the right one though, it says old version...that's the pro1 right, the good one?

i'm just trying to buy the best iem for $200 or less, and from what i've read, it's the havi?

how does this compare to the dunu dn1000 and the dunu dn2000?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,282 of 4,032
can a fiio x3 power these? what about a sansa clip zip?

where am i supposed to buy these? i found this site:http://penonaudio.com/HAVI-B3-PRO
i'm not sure if that's the right one though, it says old version...that's the pro1 right, the good one?

i'm just trying to buy the best iem for $200 or less, and from what i've read, it's the havi?

how does this compare to the dunu dn1000 and the dunu dn2000?

yes the x3 can. synergy is great!
yes the clip+ and zip both can, from my short 5 mins with it, but not to full potential
yes. penonaudio is the way to go.
not too sure about best for $200, but it's certainly one of the best (if not the best) for below $100 (assuming you are not a basshead and can appreciate a flat sound signature)
bhazard discovered the b3, and has owned the dn2000, and prefers the b3 to them

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,283 of 4,032
I just tried out some of those rubber ear hooks, which I always found to be pretty useless, but which I had bought in an effort to salvage an older IEM that wasn't fitting anymore. I must say that they seem to do a lot for the tip issue with the B3s, and now I'm going to have to go back through all my tips again and see the results. Yesterday I tested the smallest stock Havi tips, just to start with the tips which were the least usable for me (I need the L in one ear, the M or L in another). I found that even walking around outside on city streets, with volume not too high, everything was clear (even bass). Without those hooks the small tips just fall right out of my ears.

It might have something to do with the hooks somehow holding the B3s at the down-sloping angle that Tom22 mentions a couple posts above. I'm thinking of slicing off some of the ear hook on the upper side, because it actually ends up touching the B3 housing, but then again the pressure from that contact might be what holds them just right. It's also important to note that those hooks seem to be designed to come up over your ear with a small bit descending in front of your ear (towards the ear canal), and aren't supposed to remain 100% behind your ear. In any case, I thought I'd share this experience, which has me hopeful that I'll be able to find the perfect fit. Like I said, tips that were completely unusable for me are OK with the hooks somehow, bass included. Until now (and much thanks to Baycode), I've found that Sennheiser double-flange larges work in my right ear, and stock Havi larges in my left, but still the fit remained somewhat sensitive to jostling around, jaw movements, etc.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,284 of 4,032
yes the x3 can. synergy is great!
yes the clip+ and zip both can, from my short 5 mins with it, but not to full potential
yes. penonaudio is the way to go.
not too sure about best for $200, but it's certainly one of the best (if not the best) for below $100 (assuming you are not a basshead and can appreciate a flat sound signature)
bhazard discovered the b3, and has owned the dn2000, and prefers the b3 to them

any ideas what might beat it for under 200? i saw a lot of mentions of the gr07 be...

also, so the earphone i linked is the correct one? i wasn't sure exactly.

well the headphones i have atm are: amperiors, he400, and hd650. i like all of them. would this earphone be in any way similar to these?

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,285 of 4,032
any ideas what might beat it for under 200? i saw a lot of mentions of the gr07 be...

also, so the earphone i linked is the correct one? i wasn't sure exactly.

well the headphones i have atm are: amperiors, he400, and hd650. i like all of them. would this earphone be in any way similar to these?

I've had the Rockit R50, ATH-IM02, SE215, all highly rated sub-$200 IEMs, and the B3 performs on at least an equal footing with all of them (when amped). admittedly, I'm a little out of touch with the recent offerings as I'm no longer buying IEMs as of recently.

I've had the HE400 before. SQ wise, they are pretty dissimilar. B3 is the more neutral of the two. Bass wise, there's obviously no comparison quantity wise either.

I've heard the HD650 for a while too. I can't remember precisely how it sounds, but I remember that the B3 is flatter and more neutral than it as well

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,288 of 4,032
I've had the Rockit R50, ATH-IM02, SE215, all highly rated sub-$200 IEMs, and the B3 performs on at least an equal footing with all of them (when amped). admittedly, I'm a little out of touch with the recent offerings as I'm no longer buying IEMs as of recently.

I've had the HE400 before. SQ wise, they are pretty dissimilar. B3 is the more neutral of the two. Bass wise, there's obviously no comparison quantity wise either.

I've heard the HD650 for a while too. I can't remember precisely how it sounds, but I remember that the B3 is flatter and more neutral than it as well

hmm ok.
thanks, ur iem comparison helps a lot.

even if the base is not that strong, does it still reach very deep? i'm ok with eq-ing them a bit if needed.

if it's not better than the se215 or the r50...hmm are my expectations too high? from the thread i was thinking that these could compare with reference quality iems lol...
especially cuz ppl say the dunu dn1000 and dn2000 are very close to ciems, and that the havis>dunu dnk/2k

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,289 of 4,032
dang, thanks for the info tho.

most of my listening is done on the x3, so i think that at home and at school, the havis would complement nicely.

however during workouts and stuff, i like the clip zip's portability. altho the havi sound signature might not fit my workout "signature" anyways, cuz i do like some bass when i'm trying to get in the mood for a pump

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,290 of 4,032
any of you guys think that ciems would justify the price difference from these havis? that's essentially what i'm looking for atm.

the price diff btwn dunus and ciems is like 150-300, so it's easier to justify, but for the havis its 400 at minimum.

am i losing a lot than if i went with, say, noble v3?

i know it's asking a lot for a $60 iem, but i'm just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back