Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,066 of 4,032
Very nice. Thanks a lot, i expected them to sound fairly similar. But i didnt expected the havis to have a bigger bass quantity because i thought the ie800 have quite a good amount but thats actually nice too hear. I didnt realy get if you meant that the b3 got similar treble amount or rather less.
Right now i'm waiting in the ttpot t1e to arrive so the b3s have to wait if i decide on them but since i got my ie800 for 18 euros i didnt think the b3 would pay off for me but we'll see :p

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,068 of 4,032
Havi b3 pro 1 in the house
wink.gif

Let us know how things are going after 200 hours!
beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,071 of 4,032
@flib372 

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at the amount of bass the B3 has when I compared them, because the IE800 was my most bass-heavy IEM by far. Perhaps it doesn't have much more bass, but it is more enveloping as stated before.
I believe the IE800 has a bit more treble than the B3, but using thick tips on the IE800 tones it down to pretty much the same level as the B3. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,072 of 4,032
I actually have the B3's and the IE800, the only to IEM's in my house right now!  I'll have to give a listen and see if I have anything of use to add.  I am really impressed the with the Havi's even pre-burn though.  I really can't believe how good they are for the price. Great find.  Are they not making the Pro-1's anymore?  If not - I might have to grab another set....!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 25, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #1,075 of 4,032
Let me tell you some reasons which may help you decide:

1- Just check the Tenore thread, there are soooooo much more build quality and driver issues with Tenore ( you may not know but I am one of the victims) whereas according to Penon its only about 4 for the B3 Pro1 (some of them were also reported Inside this thread).

2- You pay apprx 56-59 usd for the Tenore and B3 Pro1 and you receive near to non existent accessories with Tenore while B3 Pro1 is packed with enough accessories (was mentioned in the first page).

3- You pay nearly the same price but Tenore has thin and cheap cable with a golden jack and especially "cable releif strains like a joke"! B3 Pro1 cable is kevlar with 30 braided OFC wires in each strand (which makes a thick ofc wire). Also cable is in "balanced form" (4 separate wires for cleaner and accurate signal transmission) except the terminating part which is a very good quality 90 degree golden mini jack. Also cable releif strains are incomparably better (stronger) on B3's.

4- If you bougt Tenore and if you're out of Japan (like me), you have no guarantee (guarantee is provided for Japan residents and/or people who bought Tenore from an authorised seller). So could I replace my bad Tenore? Nope!

If you buy B3 Pro1 from Penonaudio they provide a one year guarantee. They wanted from me to send the iem only. So in a small envelope it cost me only 3 USD (with tracking number).

5- And the last part, sound, simply B3 Pro1 is better (IMO).

Sorry that I'm late to the party, real life intervened with head-fi. I promise that I'll get my priority straight next time :wink:

Baycode is spot on as always.

I would only like to add a couple of things.

1. The QC issues with Havi seem to be WAY less than with the Tenores. Its not my impression that Havi is worse than any other brand. And as Baycode correctly says if you get them from penonaudio you'll get a one year warranty on your purchase.

2. I couldn't agree more on #5. The B3's are the only IEM I've ever heard that I don't feel that I sacrifice anything on compared to the best full size headphones that I own. Although it might not be perfect for portable use if one doesn't want to carry an amp it's still so good that I often pick them for home listening even if I have the possibility to choose full size open headphones instead. That's pretty unique to me.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,076 of 4,032
  Concerning the request for a TDK IE800 vs Havi B3 comparison, I used Foobar2000 -> O2 amp -> IEM for the session. This post is more directed towards the person who requested it, but anyone is welcome to use/comment on it. I apologize for posting this later than I had expected, but here are my findings:

The TDK IE800's treble is fine with thick tips and sounds comparable to the B3's treble with the Senn double flanges. I got curious when flib372 said that his/her IE800 has metallic treble, so I swapped over to the Senn double flanges. I couldn't stand the treble when there was supposed to be sparkle on some tracks, because it was really really hissy. I switched back to my normal thicker tips for the IE800, and I'd suggest anyone finding the IE800's treble too metallic to do the same.

The mids on both were very similar, except vocals were more forward on the B3. The piano had slightly more natural decay on the B3, but strings sounded more or less the same on both. The B3 has more bass quantity (both mid- and sub- bass), but I cannot comment on bass quality since I'm not very good with this stuff. The soundstage on both were actually comparable, and I didn't really notice how big the IE800 sounded until I did this comparison session. However, instrument separation on the B3 is better, which also contributes to the vocals sounding more forward, I believe. Drums sounded more "in your head" for the IE800, while they sounded to be coming from the entrance of your ears for the B3 (not quite "out of the head" yet, though).

All in all, the tuning for both IEMs seem really similar. Depending on what you prefer for the differences in each and how much you are willing to shell out for a small upgrade for a similar sound signature, I don't think it's worth another $60 unless you are really curious about it. You're probably better off using/buying a pair of thicker eartips if you aren't using some already. If you still don't like the treble on the IE800 and want better instrument separation, then by all means go for the B3. 

i remember reading that the TDK IE800 was pretty close to the TDK BA200. so in this context, the B3 is pretty close to BA200? anyone having these two can chime in?

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #1,079 of 4,032
Havi if you're reading this please start using the Westone 2 pin connectors so that the cable is detachable.

The current ribbon cable is horrible and I can't attach a clip to it. I can also see why you include so many tips due to fit issues but the problem with all your tips is that they aren't large enough and they aren't long enough. Include longer tips that insert more deeply into the ear so that they will grip your ear more firmly and include some good foam tips like the Comply T-200.

Imaging is really good on the B3 Pro-1.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,080 of 4,032
  I actually have the B3's and the IE800, the only to IEM's in my house right now!  I'll have to give a listen and see if I have anything of use to add.  I am really impressed the with the Havi's even pre-burn though.  I really can't believe how good they are for the price. Great find.  Are they not making the Pro-1's anymore?  If not - I might have to grab another set....!

Welcome to the thread Zach !

B3 Pro1 is still in production but there is no reason for not purchase a back-up
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back