Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #571 of 4,032
  If an amp three times the cost of the IEM makes them compete with others above the $200 mark it should be an good investment.

Since most people her own more that 1 (10?, 100?) can(s) and IEM(s) there should be pleaty of use for a good amp 
wink_face.gif

I'm using Fiio E11, so Geek Out 450 is the least expensive solution for Havi B3? I planned to buy Toppning NX1 or Fiio E12 but I think they can't bring out Havi B3 based on recent discussion, time to save up for Geek stuff.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #572 of 4,032
  I'm using Fiio E11, so Geek Out 450 is the least expensive solution for Havi B3? I planned to buy Toppning NX1 or Fiio E12 but I think they can't bring out Havi B3 based on recent discussion, time to save up for Geek stuff.

I've got the E12 and the NX1 on the way. The E12 is decent but not great with the Havi's (it's excellent with some of my full size cans though). I'll comment on the NX1 as soon as I get it. According to Bhazard the NX1 is also decent.

More people than me have reported about good match with tube amps. Not that convinient as portable solution though 
wink_face.gif

I've tried to use my tube DAC as portable but gave up:

MDA503front.jpg

NET WEIGHT/GROSS WEIGHT (Kg)9 / 11 kg 

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #573 of 4,032
Ok, I posted a few days back with the suspicion that the bass driver on one of the earbuds was broken and I think I am right. I tried everything, cleaned the plug, different tips, cleaned the "nozzle" and even if i switch the sides of the iem, one of them has significantly less bass. 

I'm going to contact penonaudio about this and ask to exchange them for another iem, since they are not comfortable for me. I can get a good seal but they start to hurt after a fairly short time.

Now if the let me exchange it, I have to decide which other iem i want to buy (probably from penonaudio too). I "narrowed" it down to the Ostry KC06, the sidy dm2, astrotec ax30 / ax35 / am800 or vsonic vsd1(s). What do you think about these, and does someone own the sidy dm2 since there are almost no revies of it? Anything I overlooked?

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #574 of 4,032
  Ok, I posted a few days back with the suspicion that the bass driver on one of the earbuds was broken and I think I am right. I tried everything, cleaned the plug, different tips, cleaned the "nozzle" and even if i switch the sides of the iem, one of them has significantly less bass. 

I'm going to contact penonaudio about this and ask to exchange them for another iem, since they are not comfortable for me. I can get a good seal but they start to hurt after a fairly short time.

Now if the let me exchange it, I have to decide which other iem i want to buy (probably from penonaudio too). I "narrowed" it down to the Ostry KC06, the sidy dm2, astrotec ax30 / ax35 / am800 or vsonic vsd1(s). What do you think about these, and does someone own the sidy dm2 since there are almost no revies of it? Anything I overlooked?

If you're comfortable with soldering you could try to open them up and see if there's a loose wire in there. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #576 of 4,032
  Yeah I am but I have no Idea what the problem actually is, and I'd probably lose the warranty by opening them, and I think the glass plate would/could break easily.

Yeah, if you do open them up you must be careful with the glass. I did brake on glass on my B3 ProII when I opened them the first time. If you're careful and use a very fine blade knife you should be fine though. 

If there's no problem returning them that's probably the best solution.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #577 of 4,032
  Yeah, if you do open them up you must be careful with the glass. I did brake on glass on my B3 ProII when I opened them the first time. If you're careful and use a very fine blade knife you should be fine though. 

If there's no problem returning them that's probably the best solution.

Do you have any experience with any of the iemsI listed? 

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #578 of 4,032
  Do you have any experience with any of the iemsI listed? 

I've got the AX35, KC06 and VSD1 (no s). Of these i prefer the AX35 but only after adding an inline resistor and taping the vents. Without these mods the AX35 has way to recessed mids and boomy bass for my liking. Modding them really brings them to the next level. I would still like the mids more forward though.

The VSD1 I think is fine for $50 but not more than that and the KC06 is not my taste at all. Others seem to enjoy the KC06 a lot though.

The VSD3(s) is just around the corner. Maybe you should wait on first impressions on them. I'm quite sure that Penon will offer these as well when they get more available.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #579 of 4,032
  I've got the AX35, KC06 and VSD1 (no s). Of these i prefer the AX35 but only after adding an inline resistor and taping the vents. Without these mods the AX35 has way to recessed mids and boomy bass for my liking. Modding them really brings them to the next level. I would still like the mids more forward though.

The VSD1 I think is fine for $50 but not more than that and the KC06 is not my taste at all. Others seem to enjoy the KC06 a lot though.

The VSD3(s) is just around the corner. Maybe you should wait on first impressions on them. I'm quite sure that Penon will offer these as well when they get more available.

Thanks for the answer, how is the comfort on the AX35?

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #580 of 4,032
Yesterday I went to a concert held at the Canytelis (Kanlıdivane) historical place in Mersin-Turkey.

It was an open air performance by Bülent Ortaçgil at ancient city of Canytelis.

This year is the 13.th year for the Mersin International Music. Fest. http://www.merfest.org.tr/tr/

Below photo is for giving you an information about the place. On the middle top you can see the stage:

This is a wide panorama showing you the natural pot-hole (sink hole) on the middle. According to a legend,
criminals had been executed by throwing into the sinkhole during Roman times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanl%C4%B1divane

Prison on the right, stage is on the left:

First trials with Zoom H4n recorder. Its steadied on a Gorillapod.
Mufflers were used for protecting the mics from the dust only. I did not used the
H4n's own mics. I preferred a set of Roland binaural mic's instead.

Monitoring the record were done at the office. ATM, with me was some of my HP's listed here:
Koss PortaPro (75ohm resistor and Kramer modded, recabled),
Koss ProDJ100 (with ATH M50 pads), Fostex T50RP (inner cup modded, recabled) and Havi B3.
I have tried all off them directly out of Zoom H4n:

This is the basic setup. Zoom H4n, Roland binaural mics and Havi B3 Pro1's:

So why am I sharing this: Some pages back I have written something about the lifelike sound reproduction capabilities and great soundstage of B3's.

Also @Analogsurvivor shared his valuable record monitoring experiences with his B3's, many many times... He is a professional sound recorder so I trust his experiences more than myself.

I am just an hobbyist for sound recording...

I can write many many pages about the sound comparisons.

But there is no need...

Because Havi is the most lifelike, most real or true to source IEM/HP of all. I feel every bits of the atmosphere!

You can listen to music who's recorded by someone with your different HP's/IEM's, but you couldn't be sure which HP/IEM is real Hi-Fi.

In my book B3 Pro1 delivers this. A true to source, accurate, hi-fi iem...

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #581 of 4,032
wow...what a place to hold a concert....EXOTIC !!!

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #582 of 4,032
Thanks for the answer, how is the comfort on the AX35?

Very comfortable. I use them with Sony hybrid tips. I cannot sleep with them but other than that they're really nice to wear.

They're also very well built. Some of, if not the, most well built IEM's I've got.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #583 of 4,032

If you are handy with soldering iron, this is a GREAT sounding amp in kit form : 

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/portaamp.htm

It is what I am using; it kind of limps along on 9 V battery ( best to use rechargeable NiMH batteries, which fully charged almost reach 10 V ) - but better results are achived if powered off 12 V sealed lead batteries - the bigger, the better.

Somewhere on head-fi is a thread about this very kit - the only problem is finding the volume potentiometer; I "omited" this for fixed resisto setting that drives my "cans" off Korg DSD recorder at around 0 dB level properly, but use external volume ( preamplifier ) most of the time. I chose fixed precise resistors in order to force me to adjust the balance between the channels as precisely as possible on the recorder - potentiometers tend to have variation on order of 1 dB or more and I wanted to rule it out by default.

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #584 of 4,032
  Yesterday I went to a concert held at the Canytelis (Kanlıdivane) historical place in Mersin-Turkey.

This year is the 13.th year for the Mersin International Music. Fest. http://www.merfest.org.tr/tr/

Below photo is for giving you an information about the place. On the middle top you can see the stage:

This is a wide panorama showing you the natural pot-hole (sink hole) on the middle. According to a legend,
criminals had been executed by throwing into the sinkhole during Roman times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanl%C4%B1divane

Mufflers were used for protecting the mics from the dust only. I did not used the

Monitoring the record were done at the office. ATM, with me was some of my HP's listed here:
Koss ProDJ100 (with ATH M50 pads), Fostex T50RP (inner cup modded, recabled) and Havi B3.

So why am I sharing this: Some pages back I have written something about the lifelike sound reproduction capabilities and great soundstage of B3's.

Also @Analogsurvivor shared his valuable record monitoring experiences with his B3's, many many times... He is a professional sound recorder so I trust his experiences more than myself.

But there is no need...

Because Havi is the most lifelike, most real or true to source IEM/HP of all. I feel every bits of the atmosphere!

You can listen to music who's recorded by someone with your different HP's/IEM's, but you couldn't be sure which HP/IEM is real Hi-Fi.

GREAT post. And great venue. I bet the "souvenir" you took with you home will be cherised for years to come.

Just one caution ; you should ALWAYS obtain permission to record - or otherwise learn something better than the disclaimer from taperssection.com :

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #585 of 4,032

Yesterday I went to a concert held at the Canytelis (Kanlıdivane) historical place in Mersin-Turkey.

This year is the 13.th year for the Mersin International Music. Fest. http://www.merfest.org.tr/tr/

criminals had been executed by throwing into the sinkhole during Roman times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanl%C4%B1divane

Also @Analogsurvivor shared his valuable record monitoring experiences with his B3's, many many times... He is a professional sound recorder so I trust his experiences more than myself.

But there is no need...

Edited by Baycode - Today at 4:43 pm

Lovely pictures.
I love Turkey. My colleague has a Villa not to far from Mersin  
beerchug.gif

Btw what pads are you using on your T50RP's, the HM5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back