Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #991 of 4,032
Has anyone reviewed the Pro-2's yet? I tried looking but can't really find one. I want to know particularly the sub-bass how strong and rumbly and deep it goes. Also if it clouds the mids or not. Any details would be wonderful. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #992 of 4,032
  Has anyone reviewed the Pro-2's yet? I tried looking but can't really find one. I want to know particularly the sub-bass how strong and rumbly and deep it goes. Also if it clouds the mids or not. Any details would be wonderful. Thanks!

My full comparative review is in in progress for the two versions of Havi. Until now bhazard, peter123 and mochill owned these two versions and written their thoughts (as far as I know).

Around 40Hz and upper, bass is slightly more presented on Pro2. But Pro2 is not a bass monster it's a bassier iem compared to Pro1 and for the sub-subbass all I can say that Pro1 can go deeper (my ears can detect down to 20Hz, I have used diff. freq. rec. sounds for comp.). Biggest difference lies on the overall presentation. Pro2 is more laid back, bassy and less clear while soundstage is not as wide as Pro1. Also Pro2 is easier to drive. These two have Havi house sound but presentation is for different persons/tastes.

(please take my words on "comparison" as a grain of salt because its still in progress...)

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #993 of 4,032
       I just got mine in the mail today, and I've been listening to them for about an hour (typing this up as I'm still listening). First of all, thanks to Baycode and various other contributors on this thread for recommending the Havi-B3. As far as initial impressions go, I'm super pleased with the packaging/presentation as well as the all extra goodies that Penonaudio packed with it. I've never seen packaging as fancy as this besides the now-discontinued RE-262. Now before I get into initial impressions of the sound, I should first make a disclaimer: yes yes, it's only been an hour or two, so this "review" should be taken with a grain of salt. I am aware that the Havi's sonic characteristics will change over time. Also, since this is my first in-depth review of some sort, please go easy on me. I will only give generalizations and not do any A-B comparisons anytime soon until these burn in, or at least until my brain adjusts to the transition. My audio chain for this is Foobar2000 -> O2 amp -> Havi, and the IEMs I usually use are the TDK IE800 (at home) and the RE-400 (on-the-go).

The first thing I noticed when I plugged these into my ears is how darned hard it was to get a good fit. It was about 15 minutes later after tip-rolling did I realize that the default tips that Havi put on the B3 was the large ones and not their medium ones (I thought most IEMs have their default tips as medium). After settling with the red-black medium tips, the second thing I noticed was the amount of sub-bass that was hitting me. The sub-bass is plenty and satisfying, but the amount of mid-bass is too much (I even think the RE-400 has a bit too much bass), that for a moment, I thought I ordered the Pro-II by accident. I know Baycode said that the bass settles down after burn-in, so we'll see about that - I'm not going to make any senseless speculations.

The mids are less warm than the RE-400, which I believe made mids on the Havi sound more "clear" in a sense. The treble didn't particularly stand out at the time of this write-up, but it did have a slight sense of airyness and slight sparkle that I've been searching for since my RE-ZERO died about two years ago. The other IEMs I've been trying around the $60-$100 range either have slightly hot and/or metallic treble (XBA-3, TDK IE800, HSA BA100), or was a bit too smooth for my taste (RE-400). As far as efficiency goes, I don't think these are any less efficient than my RE-400, since I used the same settings for both and got comparable volumes. Maybe the sound details of the Havi don't show up as easily without an amp, who knows?

Concerning the soundstage, I'm going to repeat what many others have said. The soundstage is this IEM's forte, and everything sounds so... coherent (for a lack of better word). I have a feeling that the RE-400's mid/vocals would beat out the B3's if only the soundstage on the RE-400 were bigger. From memory (big disclaimer), the B3's mids aren't ridiculously so much better than the other IEMs' mids that I've tried, but the soundstage is what makes things work. Without it, it would probably end up sounding like the RE-400 with more bass and more airy treble. And of course, there's the obligatory "OMG I heard new things in my music that I didn't before." No, I didn't hear new instruments or whatever, I just heard a couple of new notes here and there that I struggled to make out with the previous IEMs. Again, it could be due to the soundstage and the separation that makes each individual instrument easy to track. One slight "disappointment" that I had was that the soundstage width wasn't as amazing as the RE-262's width. When I used the RE-262, there were occasions where I literally turned my head because I thought someone was talking to me (the people on the subway looked at me funny). Based on the compliments on this thread, I thought I would have a similar effect, but hey, this is only a fraction of RE-262's $100 price tag. 

Value-wise, I think these are amazing for $59 (WOAH, not even $60). The clam shell case they included is so polished that it beats a lot of hard cases included with other IEMs (Etymotic, Brainwavz, ME-Electronics, HifiMAN, etc.) The pouch case is a nice bonus, but I don't think I'll ever use it. But wait, there's more!!! They even included a microfiber cloth for wiping... the glossy surface on the B3? Normally I'd just use a wet towel to wipe the earpiece and the wires, but it's nice that they included a microfiber cloth. Anyone with an amp should give this a try (I haven't tried it without an amp - I'll do it tomorrow when I head out). For $59 I am not disappointed at all sans the soundstage width compared to the RE-262's =P.

Ditch the stock silcone tips and use the Sennheiser double flanges they now come with. Increases performance greatly. I don't use any other tips on them, as these are perfection with it.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #994 of 4,032

Ditch the stock silcone tips and use the Sennheiser double flanges they now come with. Increases performance greatly. I don't use any other tips on them, as these are perfection with it.

+1

Synchronisation with @bhazard , I was just PM'ing @ktan3142  to try those senn's and the new Havi White Silicone's
wink_face.gif

Unfortunately senn double flanges that are included in the new packages are not the same quality as my knock-off senn double flanges.

I suggest anyone who have problems with their senn doubles (included in the Havi packages) to rub the surface of the senn double flange eartip with pure or 80% alcohol in order to make it more secure fitting one. It may work. Just experiment
wink_face.gif

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #995 of 4,032
I've been in the same situation as the OP. they are good with the stock tips. with the double flanges a little settle in period, you'll find the bass tighten and the overall presentation become a lot more spacious.

listen to baycode, protector of the realm (thread) for he is all knowing with regards to B3. maybe even more so than the engineers at havi :p

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #996 of 4,032
Anyone tried these with the old E10 ( I should buy the E10k soon ), or even onboard computer audio?

I still don't know if I should get B3 or KC06, I have an Superlux HD681 Evo, but sometimes i prefer to use just a lightweight IEM ( outdoor use will be VSD3S ).
I'm almost going to the Havi's

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #997 of 4,032
I would appreciate some more words about the tdk ie800 and the havi in comparison, because you noticed the metallic treble and thats exacly what i hear and dont like.

The metallic treble was directed at the HSA BA-100 and the XBA-3, while the "hot" treble was directed at the IE800. I thought high-hats and cymbals sounded like "tsssss" (not sibilant, just "spitty"), and that's what I thought hot meant. I apologize if I'm using the words incorrectly or if I wasn't clear enough. As for the comparison, I think that'll have to wait until either tomorrow or Saturday the earliest when I can sit down in peace to AB them.

+1

Synchronisation with @bhazard , I was just PM'ing @ktan3142  to try those senn's and the new Havi White Silicone's
wink_face.gif

Unfortunately senn double flanges that are included in the new packages are not the same quality as my knock-off senn double flanges.

I suggest anyone who have problems with their senn doubles (included in the Havi packages) to rub the surface of the senn double flange eartip with pure or 80% alcohol in order to make it more secure fitting one. It may work. Just experiment
wink_face.gif

Thanks for the suggestion/PM about tip rolling. I did try Havi's white silicone tips but didn't like them at all; the shape is too weird and the tips collapse too easily upon insertion. I've played around with Havi's (Penon's?) Senn double tips and liked how the bass quantity dropped so that it wouldn't hurt my ears so much. In the end however, I've settled with the clear silicone tips that HSA included with their BA-100. The clear silicone tips have a tad less mid-bass and slightly thinner mids than the Senn double tips, which was fine with me since it's a lot easier to insert with the clear ones. Honestly, the differences between those two tips are so minute that I wouldn't notice them if I weren't AB'ing.

This morning I used the B3 on my Nexus 4 off Poweramp (someone recommend a good/better music app for Android please if Poweramp isn't "good" enough), and I ended up having to crank the volume up two notches off the volume button from my usual RE-400 setting. It's partially because I wanted to hear the details that might've been missing without my O2 and not entirely because the volume wasn't enough. In the end, I think the B3 sounds amazing even without an amp, and the soundstage didn't suffer nearly as much as I thought it would. For me, the primary difference of the B3 with and without an amp is that the bass is less tight without an amp, but that seems to be the only noticeable drawback. Vocals are more forward than the RE-400's (almost in-your-face forward) and less warm, which sounds to me that the singer is right in front of you and it's what I prefer. However, I think that strings sound better on the RE-400 because of the warmth, and also, electronic guitars have more grit/bite/whatever than it does on the B3. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #998 of 4,032
Couldn't resist anymore...bought it.

Bought them from this seller: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Professional-Top-Quality-HAVI-B3-for-MP3-Player-music-in-ear-Earphone-Noise-Cancelling/1791770374.html

He told me it's the Pro 1, and have a U$3 discount now.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,000 of 4,032
Jul 16, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,001 of 4,032
Very useful when paired with my "nottheclearest"SANSAClip..
i can listen to classicals in a v portable form,
v similar to the Mikros..
this Havi is a great buy !

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,002 of 4,032
this might've been answered but i don't think i was able to search it up soo here goes

there seems to be two different havi 
pro1
pro2

it seems like people prefer the pro 1, but why?

whats the difference?

also please correct this statement if i'm wrong. i think i can run it off my ipod touch 4th gen right? the impedence and the sensitivity #s don't look too outrageous for that 0.0? can i still get that massive soundstage and the balenced sound? 

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,003 of 4,032
  this might've been answered but i don't think i was able to search it up soo here goes

there seems to be two different havi 
pro1
pro2

it seems like people prefer the pro 1, but why?

whats the difference?

also please correct this statement if i'm wrong. i think i can run it off my ipod touch 4th gen right? the impedence and the sensitivity #s don't look too outrageous for that 0.0? can i still get that massive soundstage and the balenced sound? 

The pro 2 has more bass and is easier to drive at the cost of the soundstage and clarity that the pro 1 is so famous for.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #1,004 of 4,032
  The pro 2 has more bass and is easier to drive at the cost of the soundstage and clarity that the pro 1 is so famous for.

the way you put it, i would be a fool to get the pro 2! just kidding! 

haha it seems the case, the 2nd version similar to gr07 (came out with be) well i guess it came out with mkII first but whateveR! its always the case, more bass 

then again i'm soo pleased with my gr07be, that i don't regret it!

guess i'm getting a pair of the pro1 =( my wallet can't take it, but ehh what is life without some impulse purchases =)

Jul 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,005 of 4,032
B3 pro 2 is crud in a cup. It's like night and day. The best way to put it would be comparing the Sennheiser CX300 to the Sennheiser IE80. Or IE800, though not quite that extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back