Haven't quite lost the PCDP bug...
Apr 1, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #31 of 42
The first one I bought was when I just got started into vintage portables. A virtual newbie without having done any research I overpaid for the first one ($150 for a Boodo Kahn that it's condition was a 5 out of 10, no original headphones and player was semi dead.) I was bidding to win the item at all cost figuring I would not come across another one again
rolleyes.gif
. Second one I bought I was a little wiser and more informed (paid $87 for a unit with a 7 out of 10 condition that work just fine and no original headphones). The third and final one I paid $125 that had a 8.5 out of 10 condition and works just fine. This one also came with the original headphone that works but the foam pad had crumbled. Finding a Boodo Kahn isn't that hard but finding the original headphones with it is a little difficult, especially one that is working and in excellent condition. Only thing about those headphones is that it isn't that great, a cheap pair of Sony Street styles probably would beat it.

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #32 of 42
Dunno about everyone else Duncan but I think that Magnavox looks pretty stylish.... far more thought has gone into that than those horrible looking silver flying saucer things they're producing at the moment.

Have you given the lens a clean? That sometimes injects a bit more sparkle into the sound.

You mentioned it had a 3 second anti shock delay........ Is that the case? If so then that was a pretty good feature for a player of that vintage.

Also, does it have a line out and if so have you tried it yet?

Sure does look an interesting device, can you take some high resolution pictures both with the lid open and closed so we can have a closer look at it?

Cheers

Pinkie.

Meant to add........ does it "really" sound not too good or is it just the case your ears have been treated to the Philips CD850 for the past few weeks....... have you yet done a side to side comparison between your other PCDP's and if so on a scale of 1 to 10 how does the Magnavox compare? You've only had it a couple of days, give your ears a while to readjust to the PCDP sound
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:30 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
seems Philips was making the worst designs even then.
rolleyes.gif

Can you please quantify that absolutely ridiculous statement?

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #35 of 42
Pinky...

It really is quite bad, the sound of it is very thick, syrupy... maybe some would like that kind of sonic flavour, but - I don't, and - whilst my ears have been blessed with decent full sized player tones, I did compare it to the Sony D321 that I got on the same day, and - to me, its a no brainer.

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by 19lexicon78
expensive boodo's...why so many of them?? you must love them!!!

by the way i've paid 61 euro for mine, with original headphones ..still have to recieve this one..

I wasn't satisfied with the condition of the first two that I bought and wanted one that was in better condition complete with original headphones. I bought it at a time when vintage Walkmans were a hot item on ebay and prices were high, it seems that overall prices for vintage Walkmans right now is quite low . One of the Boodo Kahns I bought was from Germany and I had to pay about $40 USD for shipping. They do sound fantastic, one of the better sounding Walkmans that I've heard. The Boodo Kahns produces a concert hall like sound, very spacious. Which is why I think Sony named this Walkman "Boodo Kahn" after the Boodo Kahn concert hall (Japan's equivalent of Carnegie Hall) in Japan.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #38 of 42
Duncan,

That's like me saying I bought my last CDP or amp: it's only a matter of time.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #39 of 42
Hey there. Apparently there are some PCDP gurus residing in this thread. Note here that I am taking PCDP to stand for personal CD players. Please disregard this post if the acronyms instead mean "Pernacious Corpulent Desultory Pines" or something of that ilk.
In any case, here be experts. I was just wondering what machine you (plural) think could do justice to a pair of Shure e5c's. Right now, I am leaning towards the Iriver SlimX IMP-550, but that could change if anyone can enlighten me as to some other quality players.
I would prefer MP3 playing ability. In fact, I already have a Sony DEJ1000, but it is not too well recieved around these parts. I'm thinking that if I am going to spend so much money on headphone nirvana, I might as well get a player that would be on par.
Thanks!

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #40 of 42
The iRiver imp-550 has a pretty good reputation and some people here also use it with the Shure e5cs. If I remember correctly, bangraman owns both according to the portable rigs pictures thread. I can imagine that many will say that no PCDP will do the Shures justice and at the very minimum, you'd need something vintage. You might want to look out for the new iRiver players that are coming out--either something better's coming or maybe there will be a dramatic price drop for the current model.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #41 of 42
The IMPs, to me have a very murky sound... one which wouldn't be very well conveyed, especially by decent earphones in the realm of the Shure E5s...

I don't think really, that many do apply, apart from the likes of the D-E905, or the D465 maybe from Sony... but with the E905, when you see one (on ebay for example) normally they command a very high price, probably more than what they were worth originally in some cases, and thats a bit too heavy going for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back