Have you retired your VCR yet?
Jun 16, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

I'm getting ready to buy one--too many good movies that will never make it to DVD...

That was the first justification I heard for not buying cds!

If people buy them, they will come.
tongue.gif

My VCR is retired. 200 DVDs and growing daily.

But there are two things I hate about dvd:
You can't shake and bang them when they stop working.
You can't take them apart and scotch tape the broken movie.
So much for the advantages of digital.

Of course the biggest advantage:
I'll never have to feel guilty about not being kind and not rewinding again!!

Jun 16, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
That's the life we live with compression. Sad thing is most channels now air off servers compressed anyway. Even my cable is heavily compressed on the higher channels. None of the premium channels are stereo... another space-saving plan. Which makes me wonder... those individuals that have a small digital dish with TIVO... compression on compression.

That doesn't make any sense, if I were paying the extra $$$ for the premium channels I would expect them to at least be Dobly Pro Logic, preffered Dobly Digital. Many movies depend on their sounds, and don't sound right even in stereo, I'd hate to hear mono.

My VCR is still kicking, but has auto-gain control so I can't run my DVD player through it. I need to pick up one of those macrovision filters.

Jun 16, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #49 of 60
Both my VHS AND my betamax are both still hooked up.

Jun 16, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #51 of 60
yes, in fact i just upgraded to a top of the line jvc s-vhs vcr to record our shows. during the week we can watch movies, etc., on dvd, and on friday catch up on out t.v. shows (minus commercials) on the vcr.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #56 of 60
My VCR failed so I got a Neuros OSD which can record/play from a USB memory. It also worked for the playback of bittorent movies. However, it is no longer useful after the cancellation of cabletv service since it must get an analogue video signal from somewhere. Fortunately, my linux computer with a Haupauge 950 USB tuner can record HDTV from antenna or low-def from cable. I use memcoder to record and mplayer for playback.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #58 of 60

Quote:
This thread was a lot more relevant 8 years ago. VCR is as dead as DOS, now.

You have a valid point. However, DOS is still used whenever you copy a file to a USB memory.  VCR was a great invention.  It is only dead because the machines and tapes are no longer made.  The technology would be useful if it was still available.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #59 of 60
my vcr brings me to the past,present and future. it is a secret time machine capable of making me chocolate milk with my special seseme street cup with swirly straw on long journeys when i become parch.............ohhh yea, it also plays my old DBZ tape collection is another reason why i keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back