Have you ever...
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Akathisia

500+ Head-Fier
...not wanted to discuss something on Head-Fi for fear of it becoming FOTM?

That may sound like an odd question, but I've been thinking.... Take for example the STAX electrets. I've always wanted to try these, but everyone here says they are not worth over $100. If you get on eBay, these are currently going for $150+!

Same thing seems to have happened with vintage AKG's like the Sextetts. If you search through older posts, people say don't pay over $50. But try searching eBay and getting a set for under $100.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think Head-Fi has a huge impact on the used gear market... or maybe the iPod just brought the headphone back to the masses as a HiFi option.

So, have you ever kept a secret on some hard to find or vintage gear, in order to make sure you score while the going is still good?

(edit : I've had a few beers... I apologise for the poor grammar/sentence structure/whatever
tongue.gif
)

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, have you ever kept a secret on some hard to find or vintage gear, in order to make sure you score while the going is still good?

Sure! [not Shure]:

Minimus 7's mated to a subwofer [cheap!]
the Yamaha M-series of amps [not so cheap, but truly great sound]
Sanyo Plus components [cheap]
SABA gear - any of it [not cheap]
quad [not the brand Quad] receivers bridged to stereo [cheap!]
DVD players no longer able to play DVD's [very cheap CD transport]

There is my short list, and I don't keep it secret. Take the hints above, save some money.

Laz

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 25
head-fi does have a huge impact on the used market. we've done insane things to the prices on used planar headphones.

And yeah, I avoid talking about stuff that i think i have a shot at acquiring. Not that it helps.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 25
I avoid even talking about FOTMs that are still in production. Ever since the Vibes that is, arguing about those things was so pointless because you never knew what generation the other person had or if they just didn't like bass at all. I still see a lot of FOTM around here and the newbs are almost always pointed in that direction. Every time I see a new member ignore the advice of all the people chanting about whatever is popular at the time, I'm glad to see that members don't have the sway they think they do.

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 25
Sure!
Been there, and will probably go there again if needed

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 25
I wish K1000's weren't as popular here as they are. Prices have doubled in the last year on the German market, from around €400-500 to €800-900. I'm not entirely sure Head-fi is to "blame", but I'm sure we have to do with it for a large part.

No, I haven't 'hidden' stuff from Head-Fi, though I have not told Head-fiers about a secondhand heaphone that I wanted until after I was sure it was mine.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 25
I hope you enjoy them Rik. But baby them, because there's no chance of any spare parts.
wink.gif

As for FOTM, yeah, it plays a big part, particularly in the used market. Try finding a Jecklin Float for $30 these days.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish K1000's weren't as popular here as they are. Prices have doubled in the last year on the German market, from around €400-500 to €800-900. I'm not entirely sure Head-fi is to "blame", but I'm sure we have to do with it for a large part.

Ditto!
Sadly I got my eyes up for the K1000 too late. They sold new for $400 just a couple of years ago, while they now sell well used for $1000-1200.

Feb 27, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New for $400 I flatly don't believe. That doesn't buy a new HD650.

I am quite sure TTVJ had them for ~$400 not too long ago.
Might remember wrong though. Hmm...

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Headroom had a closeout price of $359.00 when Todd worked for them.
I jumped at it & still have them.

Feb 27, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

New for $400 was possible a long time ago. A year ago, they wen't for €400-500 in secondhand but in very good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back