Have you ever met your favorite musician?
Jun 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 60
Sometimes I get to meet them, sometimes not. Meetings have included...

Mary Chapin Carpenter
Robyne Dunn
Kate & Anna McGarrigle (with key members of Fairport Convention backing e.g. Mattacks)

Quite often nowadays I no longer bother - tiredness, family commitments after the show (i.e. pick up child from minder, etc).

The key is to have something of common interest to hold a conversation with them - I see little point in just a 'polite' appreciation of my enthusiasm for their music, writing, playing, singing, etc.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 60
Nope, never.
Actually I don't even have a favorite musician. Too many great ones out there...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 60
No - and it doens't look like it going to happen either ... Andre Segovia
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarbruis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I met BT in Seattle when he did his initial screening of "This Binary Universe." Totally amazing. Got a signed copy of the album and everything. I've been wanting to see him for like five years. His music was what got me excited about electronic music. It's too bad I'm not 21, or I could've seen him spin at Trinity afterwords
frown.gif

352055774_267fafb190.jpg

After watching the included DVD that came with "This Binary Universe" I was almost in tears. The final track with the home video of him and his daughter is amazing.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 60
Yes, I did. Dave Holland. Been listening to his bass for 30 years. Turns out his former drummer is a patient of mine and he hooked me up to see a performance at Iridium in NYC. Dave was walking around the packed audience before the performance and I went up and chatted with him. Just an awesome experience.

lambda.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by GendoIkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After watching the included DVD that came with "This Binary Universe" I was almost in tears. The final track with the home video of him and his daughter is amazing.

Beautiful stuff. And to see it in a theater with fifty other people and BT was amazing. It's certainly the best electronic album ever made, in my opinion. It's still hard to believe that the first track was entirely done with C-sound.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 60
I've met Joe Satriani , John Petrucci , Eric Johnson , Symphony X and I'm looking forward to meeting Steven Wilson ,Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson (Neil too but it's like....imposible)

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkluv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I met Bob Mould after a Sugar show. Really cool guy, sat and smoked cigs and talked for over an hour. My friends and I were the ones who initiated leaving due to our drive home, was very cool. He's actually the one who turned me onto "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

nice one
smily_headphones1.gif

some of hüsker dü's later songs (and much of sugar's output, and my favorite bob solo songs) heap layer upon layer of beautiful noise in a way distantly similar to but much more energetic than mbv. it's not shoegazing, but... there's common ground.

incidentally, my own meeting was with the man who first put bob mould on an album cover
biggrin.gif
mike watt from the minutemen and then fIREHOSE. before a gig in london he chatted a bit with the handful of waiting fans. big bearded man in flannel shirt with a grin on his face and "howdy!" as greeting
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #24 of 60
My favorite artist is Nick Drake, but it's VERY unlikely that I'll ever meet him
frown.gif

I did however meet my favorite artist when I was a teen though, good old Billy Corgan. Great guy, and much taller than I expected. Very down to earth considering his popularity at the time.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #25 of 60
Got to shake hands with Lyrics Born and all members of Soulive after their performances at this year's Bumbershoot. Oh, and got their autographed CDs too, along with a signed Joss Stone CD (Saw her performed but didn't get to meet in-person, I stuck around for John Legend after her. She signed it earlier in the day and it was the last leftover copy on the rack.)

I've listened to Soulive for a few years now and was thrilled to meet them. Really cool guys.

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #26 of 60
I've hung out for hours with Chick Corea on many different occassions. I've met Bob Dylan, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Keith Jarrett, Roy Haynes, All the members of the Black Crowes, Alicia Keys, John Mayer, Roland Hanna, Dave Brubeck, Jon Bon Jovi, David Bowie, Sting, Gerry Marsden, Billy Preston, and a bunch of others I am overlooking.....

One of my best friend's met McCartney for a brief second, and I'd trade probably all my meeting experiences for that.

For you audiophiles: I've met Geoff Emerick, Roy Cicala (who worked with me personally), I was hired as an assistant to the Bach Pianist Rosalyn Tureck, I also met Roger Nichols once.

The thing is no I haven't met my favorite musician.......they're both dead

Gustav Mahler and Johannes Brahms. Maybe I'll meet them someday.....?

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #27 of 60
Why meet, the best way anyhow is to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

If seriously, I have met only one local composer, but that was a long time ago, when I played a piano
smily_headphones1.gif
and we spoke some words about local musicians in general.

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #29 of 60
Met many, kind of an occupational hazard. One that seems particularly memorable right this second is walking around Greenwich Village—from one jazz club to another—with Max Roach. An old girlfriend knew him from his time in Amherst, MA, and I used to run into one of his daughters socially quite a bit. He loved to talk about drummers, of course, but I was struck by how open he was to all kinds of music. At the time, he was very interested in the latest hip-hop, and how the subtlest cadences in speech could tell you where people were from. He was among the most melodic drummers ever, but it was because he thought in rhythms.

Sep 7, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #30 of 60
I got to meet Adam and Tyson from the band, The Two Gallants earlier this year... greats guys! Signed a 7" for me and my friend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back