Have you ever listened to a song over and over for days
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #16 of 79
this happens to me all the time.... i figured it is best to put a second favorite in between. i usually put 5~10 duplicates the song i was crazy about in the playlist with 1 other song and shuffle them.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #17 of 79
I can't do it. I hate playing a song out. I'll listen to an album or albums of a certain group over and over though.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it was 1991 or 1992, my first true love dumped my sorry broke-ass and all I could listen to was Black by Pearl Jam....
this part in particular still makes me misty:
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
Can't it be, can't it be mine

that song is powerfull beyond belief
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #19 of 79
I have listened to the same 6-7 songs for months but not by choice. My old housemate when I was in school played the same 6-7 songs over and over again on his speakers everyday and the same list in his car.

I can listen to the same song over and over again..when I'm testing gear and stuff but typically I can listen to the same song multiple times within the same day but typically can't listen to one specific song over and over again unless it is really good

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #20 of 79
About ten years ago, I had a girlfriend who was invariably stopped cold by Aretha Franklin's version of "I Say A Little Prayer." She had me put it on a cassette -- over and over -- until it filled the entire 90 minute tape. There were evenings when we would hear that song, I dunno, 30 or 40 times.

I have also been that fixated on a particular song from time to time. Eva Cassidy's version of "Fields of Gold." The Beatles' "Don't Let Me Down." BB King's "The Thrill Is Gone." Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough." Grandmaster Flash's "The Message." John Coltrane's sublime recording of "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye." Badfinger's "Baby Blue." The Only Ones' "Another Girl, Another Planet."

That's just a few. I've been alive a long time.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #22 of 79
When I listen to one track over and over it tends to be a very bad or cheesy track, I'll get bored of it eventually, when it's an album it's always a recent aquisition like the new Fatboy Slim/David Byrne One ATM. I don't do it that often but a few albums carry the infection, I remember Streets - Original Pirate Material did it quite bad and I havent listened to it at all for about 3 years probably.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #23 of 79
One of the few tracks I've been able to listen to over and over again is Frank Zappa's "Gumbo Variations" for the simple reason that it's so damn catchy and, at ~17 minutes long and with multiple different sections, you can't really get bored of it. Not for days, but certainly hours at a time.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #24 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not stop listening. I try other songs but nothing will satisfy. This must be the 40th time

Lovely Post john :) there are more than few songs which i heard for many days over and over in their particular time.....one is "i am alive" by Celine Dion

I must say that she has sung her heart out
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #25 of 79
Not usually the actual same track, but I sometimes like to listen to different versions of the same track back to back, or even at the same time. ie. original studio version, demo version, 12" re-mix, disco re-mix, live version 1, 2..., cover version 1, 2,...

Not sure if that makes me weird...

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #26 of 79
I usually have a bunch of 10 - 15 songs I listen to a lot. Those always get phased out for new songs every day. Yesterday I started listening to "Joe Bonamassa - Feelin' Good" and "Joe Bonamassa - Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter" and I probably phased out a few songs. "John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare I've been listening to a lot, but I have a feeling I'll start phasing that out, mainly cause I'm sick of listening to it.

So I might be listening to a song today, and not listen to it for a few days, weeks, months.

Lately I have been letting an album play from start to finish (at least in the last few years).

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #27 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiber404 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I have been letting an album play from start to finish (at least in the last few years).

Thats usually how I do it.

Also the song Aenema from Tool is a bit dark to say the least. Not the usual pop song I might play a few times over and over. It seems to be affecting my mood as well. Last night in the elevator someone seemingly intentionaly bumped me. I stared at him like a physcopath on a weekend pass. Almost told him "Better Swim" a line from the song.

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #28 of 79
Sure, often for some longer songs like Rubycon Part 1 by Tangerine Dream, Miss Fortune by Foust, Sweet Love for Planet Earth by **** Buttons, Raven and the Rose by My Dying Bride, The Everlasting by Virgin Black, Autobahn by Kraftwerk, 1/1 by Brian Eno...among others I have spent time with over and over.

One pop song I couldn't stop playing, was Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode. Higher being of your choice knows how many times I've played that through the years.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #29 of 79
I keep coming back to Donny Hathaway's haunting love song over and over again, "A Song for You". I didn't know he committed suicide when I first heard it a few months ago, which made it even more poignant. What a loss to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back