Have you ever been scared or other emotion while listening to music
Jul 28, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #31 of 44
Listening to Virgin Black, any album, on my SR60's, scare the bejeezus out of me!

As a kid, i saw an old Black Sabbath tape of my Dads, snuck a listen to it, and the son "Am I Going Insane" terrified me. Another song that scared me as a kid was the last part of "One" by Metallica. Now I enjoy both songs, but i STILL cant listen to any Virgin Black stuff.

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #32 of 44
I often get adrenaline boost while i listen to my music, it just appear out of no where i get kinda like elevated in the song and i feel lighter and somewhat powerfull. I think that kind of euphoria isn't uncommon at all, i am sure all of you got goosebump from time to time listening to music. I know that it happen often after i get a new equipment, new headphones, source etc and i rediscover some of my old CDs with detail i never heard or the like. Music is the best emotion river ever if you ask me, it rock my boat daily
icon10.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #33 of 44
Also about getting scared, i remember one song when there was this sound that emulate a cat scream from the back or something, i got my head back everytime it play. There is also a kanye west song where i always find myself going to the telephone when it is only a noise that sound just like my ringtone haha

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 44
when i first got my 555s the soundstage gave me a rush that my sr60s never did. It's like a caffeine rush. My sr60s got me emotional and cozy. my ad2ks are now the ones that give me that rush and the fuzzy feeling of emotion is more from the musical content I think

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #36 of 44
quick response: With no distractions, some songs make me feel lots emotion (excitement, sadness, aggression - but not exactly) that I can't really describe, and so I can only say in my head, "holy $4!t".

now what I actually want to say, but you may want to sleep through: I only just started caring about what sort of headphones I use to listen to music. I've acquired a pair of marshmallows and sr60s in the last six months because of what I've read on this board.
biggrin.gif

The marshmallows took good songs and made them great for me. (I had ibuds.) I'd shake uncontrollably (not like a seizure, but kinda like two red-bulls) and feel excited. I attributed the my enjoyment to the headphone's quality. So I looked for headphones that would make the listening experience better, and decided on the sr60s. The sr60s didn't feel like much of an improvement though. The same songs that made me so excited, were empty now. So I went back to the marshmallows. This kinda confused me for a while. Everyone loves their sr60s; I did not. But when I listened to the sr60s later one night, they were amazing.
confused.gif
They did what the marshmallows did for me, but better.

It may have been because I was tired/delirious and alone in a quiet dark room, and therefore more affectable. But I think it was the room's quietness.

I've decided, night time = quiet. IEMs = quiet. So it was the quietness that was making the songs so powerful. Background noise really ruined the songs for me. "eliminate distractions + quality = emotions" . Now I've ordered the er6i, and hope my hypothesis holds true.

End of anecdote.

Maybe OP's friend experienced something like this without realizing it. I was surprised by my experience because everyone talked about closed headphones and IEMs as a matter of practicality. Anyone else notice something like this, where the song and headphones matter less, and your sound environment matters more? This isn't to say that the headphones are unimportant, but that sacrificing audio quality by choosing an IEM over open headphones should be advocated or atleast explained more often.

[size=xx-small]Yes, it was a long post with many somewhat off-the-wall ideas - maybe because I've read 6 months without posting and because I wasn't aware of this when I decided on the sr60s or maybe because this thread was posted before I started reading the board or maybe because jaw007 post was short.[/size]

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #38 of 44
i had some of the Lotr recordings and some similar types of music.

i tell you a full orchestra and some heavenly melody with a epic voice will sure send some shivers down your spine..

in that very instant i wanted to go to where ever they were creating that music and never leave..

but of course its probably not different then here. but if there was ever utopia it would play music like that .. hehe and some rock mixeded in here and there of course.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #39 of 44
I found my old marshmallows which I stored away because they were my first iems and they HURT my ears. Surprisingly they fit really well after I found them again. It was like 1 a.m. at night and I stuck these in thinking a little music would help me go to sleep.

The music was a little louder than normal because of the isolation and it kind of scared the crap out of me b/c it was all silent for the past 3 hours and pitch black. I wasn't used to the isolation so even "cheerful" songs scared me.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 44
Portishead's Roads late at night has an effect on me. The most dramatic effect though would have to have been watching a Sigur Ros concert, you go through so many emotions during the concert, then they end with Popplagid, blow your mind (and eardrums) and your left standing there silent for a good 30 seconds after it's over thinking "what the hell have I just witnessed?"... then realize the band has left the stage and you should start clapping.

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_tris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I was visiting my friend trying to get him to do some a/b comparisons with higher end equipment. Since he does a lot of amatuer audio production, I thought he'd be able to pick up on the sublte nuances of the different amps and headphones. However, instead while listening to a NIN track "Mr. Self Destruct," he said that he felt more.... afraid while listening to it. The ONLY difference through our hour long session of a/b comparisons was the notion that a particular combination of headphones and amps evoked more of an emotional response than others.

He said that the actual emotion/response was like a fight or flight feeling. Sudden rush of adrenaline. Not necessarily that he was 'afraid,' but that was the type of response your body would have IF you were afraid. I had to post this and ask if anyone else has ever had a similar increase in emotional response to different music simply by using higher quality amps/headphones.

Anyone?

Jaws/Amityville horror/Shinning film scores still scare the crap out of me..

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #43 of 44
i get horny whenever I hear Enigma. Must be all those R-rated movie soundtracks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back