Have you ever been scared or other emotion while listening to music
Jul 27, 2007 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

lord_tris

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I was visiting my friend trying to get him to do some a/b comparisons with higher end equipment. Since he does a lot of amatuer audio production, I thought he'd be able to pick up on the sublte nuances of the different amps and headphones. However, instead while listening to a NIN track "Mr. Self Destruct," he said that he felt more.... afraid while listening to it. The ONLY difference through our hour long session of a/b comparisons was the notion that a particular combination of headphones and amps evoked more of an emotional response than others.

He said that the actual emotion/response was like a fight or flight feeling. Sudden rush of adrenaline. Not necessarily that he was 'afraid,' but that was the type of response your body would have IF you were afraid. I had to post this and ask if anyone else has ever had a similar increase in emotional response to different music simply by using higher quality amps/headphones.

Anyone?

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 44
Once when I was on a charter bus at a really late hour (probably around 12 am, I was in a half awake state, it was raining very hard) Sunn O))) - Black One came on. I was using the Shure E2c/ipod, and I got an overwhelming feeling of dread. Like it actually made me feel incredibly uneasy like something terrible was about to happen. I had to keep listening, it was a nice moment...and one of the reasons that is my favorite Sunn album.

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 44
Happens all the time with me when I listen to Scott Walker at night
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 44
Never by specifically using higher quality amps/headphones. The level of emotion that my headphone rigs have brought out of me is pretty much the same amount of emotion that I got when I was using a cheap, Wal-Mart PCDP and the included headphones. The music itself is what moves me, and new gear doesn't really change the music, but rather just presents it in a slightly different manner.

The only times I've gotten scared/surprised were for very brief moments, usually when the volume was WAY too loud because I forgot to lower the volume after swapping out headphones, or if I wasn't really paying too much attention and the next song that played starts out with some sort of really loud noise.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 44
Your friend isn't alone, not by a long shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just as an example, the end music from the soundtrack to "Man on Fire" packs a few feelings into one. In the quieter piano section I have an immense feeling of empathetic sadness, almost to the point of tears. During the vocal + strings + drums sections, I feel like flying - almost like those IMAX movies with the helicopter shots over water and mountains (it feels very real). When the piece concludes in a loud climax with vocals, backup vocals, drums, and strings; it's a powerful surge of adrenaline.

I heard that song years ago, and I've never felt anything like that until I got my AD700s.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 44
yeah when i listen to the band "I" at any time of day, i get the overwhelming urge to tread through the forest with armor on.

Jul 27, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #11 of 44
Music is one of the art forms that provoke extreme emotion.

I do not feel the same emotion with other art such as looking at a painting or sculpture.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 44
Some Aphex Twin stuff exactly meets the frequency of my mum shouting after me through the house interphone system. I always get that attentive "...ummmhh - what's up" feeling then. Silly somewhat, I am 41 years old and left home in 1987...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 44
The first time I ever heard the Door's _The Celebration of the Lizard_ I was listening to the radio with a good mellow buzz on.

The music got softer and softer and softer until it nearly got to the point of inaudibility.

Then, out of nowhere, Jim Morrison screams "Wake Up!"..

I just about jumped out of my skin.

THE CELEBRATION OF THE LIZARD

Lions in the street and roaming
Dogs in heat, rabid, foaming
A beast caged in the heart of a city
The body of his mother
Rotting in the summer ground.
He fled the town.

He went down South and crossed the border
Left the chaos and disorder
Back there over his shoulder.

One morning he awoke in a green hotel
With a strange creature groaning beside him.
Sweat oozed from its shiny skin.

Is everybody in?
The ceremony is about to begin.

Wake up!
You can't remember where it was.
Had this dream stopped?

The snake was pale gold
Glazed & shrunken.
We were afraid to touch it.
The sheets were hot dead prisons.

Now, run to the mirror in the bathroom,
Look!
I can't live thru each slow century of her moving.
I let my cheek slide down
The cool smooth tile
Feel the good cold stinging blood
The smooth hissing snakes of rain...

Once I had a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean
I mean the game called 'go insane'

Now you should try this little game
Just close your eyes forget your name
Forget the world, forget the people
And we'll erect a different steeple.

This little game is fun to do.
Just close your eyes, no way to lose.
And I'm right there, I'm going too.
Release control, we're breaking through.

Way back deep into the brain
Back where there's never any pain.

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the Pink Noise burning in CD that everyone is talking about?

Now I know why they all recommend using pink noise for headphone burn-in!

Because that noise is HOT! (or supposed to be)
eek.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 44
Recently, the song Hide and Seek by Imogen Heep has been really emotionally destroying me. Every time I hear it I want to burst out in tears and hug somebody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back