Have UE changed their cables recently?
Aug 8, 2008 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JimBob1971

100+ Head-Fier
The reason I ask is that the clear cable on my 5s broke yesterday (bought 2 years ago) -the left channel only plays intermittently-, so I ordered a new one and it arrived today.

Anyway, the new cable is thicker and seems to use silver whereas my old cable was very thin and was copper coloured.

I did a quick compare and the new one seems to give more detail, but isn't as warm as my old cable. Of course, this could simply be because I expect silver to exhibit that sort of sound signature and may all be in my head
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, this may well explain why I haven't been using my TF 10s much - I prefer a warm sound. I can't wait to try the old cable on the 10s.

So, anyone know if the original cable was copper, and if a replacement can be bought?

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Perhaps they realized that the copper will get oxidized too easily so they coated them with a layer of silver?

Aug 8, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Could be, although there was no sign of it on mine. I've just found out that they did indeed change the cable. Something about their drivers having problems with the thin cables (?).

It'd be interesting to see whether anyone else thinks the sound signature changed because of it. Maybe it is just a case of me needing to get used to it....

Aug 8, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not necessarily silver right. could be tinned copper. don't get so excited
smily_headphones1.gif

True, hence me asking whether anyone else had noticed a difference in the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back