Have to buy through Apple Store site - What to Get?
Apr 14, 2010 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pearlgirl

New Head-Fier
I have to purchase a pair through the Apple Store website (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTcxNjEzMDU). Based on what they have available under $179, which ones do you recommend?

I listen to a broad range of music. I like a warm sound, not too bassy though. I enjoy good detail, but not too much on the high end. I am currently using MeElec M9's. They are pretty good, they could use a little more mid and low (just a teeny bit though).

Thanks for playing!

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 15
Wellllllll, the selection isn't the broadest, so it depends on whether you want IEMs or regular headphones.

The best IEMs in your price range in my opinion are the Etymotic HF2 headset, but the bass probably would be light compared to what you are asking for, and the treble may be too detailed. However, it would give a great representation of the Ety sound. Another IEM option would be the Klipsch S4 or S4i (for the iPhone), which my wife enjoys. Good bass, mids, and treble, but it needs to burn in and settle down before it comes into its own. You would have extra money remaining too to use for something else. If you want something other than IEMs, the Sennheiser PX100 II or 238 are respected here, again with money left over.

Just my opinion, hope it provides some guidance.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 15
I second the Etymotics HF2 or HF5 depending on whether you need head set functionality although as Dobber points out bass could be too little and treble could be too much but great iem's

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 15
Then out of the list available from the Apple Store, to me the best IEM recommendations are either the Etymotic (with the conditions listed about being a bit light in bass and bit emphasized in treble, but still very very good), or the Klipsch S4 (or S4i).

If it were my money and I had the budget, this would be good time to introduce myself to the Etymotic sound. They really deserve to be sampled at some point, even if they aren't quite the ER-4 family.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 15
I decided on the Ety's. I've been wanting to try them out, so this is as good a time as any. I thought I would wait for the release of the mc series to take the plunge since chatter suggested that they might have a little more bass. We shall see.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 15
V-Moda Remix and Vibe II has very good sound quality with Remote/Mic and come with two years warranty.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 15
Let us know what you think about the Etys after you receive them.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like a warm sound, not too bassy though. I enjoy good detail, but not too much on the high end. I am currently using MeElec M9's. They are pretty good, they could use a little more mid and low (just a teeny bit though).

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided on the Ety's.

Sounds like polar opposites to me. But hey, keep an open mind. The etys are definitely nice IEMs.
k701smile.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V-Moda Remix and Vibe II has very good sound quality with Remote/Mic and come with two years warranty.

uh...really? vmodas are terrible. i would go with the ety's too and seems like you've already done that. s4i's were a good option too.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah...I definitely have to disagree with you there. I own the original Vibes and I was pretty disappointed in their sound quality overall, especially in comparison to my (much) cheaper M9s. The bass is big and bloated and spills all over the mids and they lack clarity throughout their sound signature.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #14 of 15
I was a little concerned about the Ety's and my sound preference, but I've been wanting to try the Ety's, I already know that I like the fit of their flanges (I have Ety ear plugs). And did I mention that this "purchase" was free? I figured this was a great opportunity to try them out.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 15
Does anyone think that ZARIM either works for V-Moda, or has some sort of relationship with them? Always promoting the V-Moda's. Zarim, sorry to throw you under the bus, if I'm wrong, it just seems that you are always throwing the V-Moda's out there whenever someone asks for a recommendation. Maybe you just love them, which is totally cool, so I apologize if that is simply the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back