Have tinnitus? Try Aire Freshener 2.0
Jan 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

daba

500+ Head-Fier
Download here: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/dl/aire20setup.exe

Late at night when it is quiet, I really notice my tinnitus. I'm a frequent reader of tinnitusfaq.com and other tinnitus resources, and have been familiar with sound therapy. Having reported wild success in Australia, sound therapy unfortunately is very expensive and may take months of listening in order to "recondition" the brain into suppressing the tinnitus whine.

However, I discovered a pleasantly effective alternative. This small, free program has a bunch of ambient sounds that really help relax the tinnitus. While most of these are playing, in fact, I don't even notice my tinnitus at all.

I think many tinnitus sufferers, myself included, have developed a case of hyperacusis. Now that I think about it, there really hasn't been a time in my life where I haven't been around ambient sounds such as the ones presented in Aire Freshener 2.0; perhaps my tinnitus has always been there but I never noticed it until I began listening to the micro-details the hi-fi world presents.

Sound therapy recommends that you listen with headphones and play the sound at or just below the volume of your tinnitus.

Anyways, it's best if you guys try it out yourselves. It's a freeware program so you really have nothing to lose! Good luck.

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 39
Okay, I'm not sure about the tinnitus connection but this is a really cool program. It lets you play a choice of environments together with (or alternatively) a choice of chimes. There are lots of choices. Each of the chimes is also customisable.

Great background sound while working - a relaxing alternative to music. (This works for me because my ears grow weary of my headphones after a few hours and this is actually sounding good through my Toshiba's built-in speakers.)

Currently listening to Spring Day plus Ceramic Chimes.

Slick interface too. (I have chosen to have a little campfire burning in my system tray.) Nice freebie. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 28, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 39
I'm not sure if I have tinnitus myself. Is it when I'd get a ringing in my right ear, sounding like a ~3k hz tone, for a few seconds then goes? It just comes and goes a few times a week/month.

Is that tinnitus?

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if I have tinnitus myself. Is it when I'd get a ringing in my right ear, sounding like a ~3k hz tone, for a few seconds then goes? It just comes and goes a few times a week/month.

Is that tinnitus?

Yes

I my case its there all the time to a greater or lesser degree

Can be caused by long term exposure to industrial noise

Or too many rock concerts
basshead.gif

Or illness/disease

Or a blow to the head etc etc

Or just part of the aging process !

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoxious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or just part of the aging process !

Dude! I'm just 25. And, no, I've not gone to any loud concerts--ever, don't want to ruin my hearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knoxious /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or a blow to the head etc etc

I did fall from the monkey bars when I was swinging wildly when I was 8. Fell ~6ft on rubber padding on my back and head... could that be it? Most probably some illness huh?

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Dude! I'm just 25. And, no, I've not gone to any loud concerts--ever, don't want to ruin my hearing.

I did fall from the monkey bars when I was swinging wildly when I was 8. Fell ~6ft on rubber padding on my back and head... could that be it? Most probably some illness huh?

Not likely to be that fall while young
More likely to be some illness

At your age it could be partial blockage of the ear canal
If you haven’t done so see a doctor about your symptoms
The doctor will check out all the obvious causes

It may be just a case of syringing out the ear canal !

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 39
Thanks for the advice/reference and I agree about perhaps its been there longer than I realised. Quote:

"perhaps my tinnitus has always been there but I never noticed it until I began listening to the micro-details the hi-fi world presents.

Jan 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 39
Cheers! I'll check it out. I've had gradually worsening tinnitus since I was 12 or 13.

Was exacerbated greatly by headphone listening on the bus in high school. I thought because I listened more softly than my friends I was safe.. but I was wrong. If only I knew of IEMS then..

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Is that tinnitus?

Freed, I get the exact same thing myself. Every once in a while, I notice that my hearing in one ear fades smoothly away to nothing within a span of about a second, and the silence is followed by a constant tone that lasts for about five seconds, then fades back into normal hearing. It isn't noise-triggered, and it happens with equal frequency in either ear. Weird, weird.

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 39
Quite the interesting little program. I'm sure to enjoy this while at work and need some noise but can't quite concentrate with music. If I develop tinnitus, hopefully this helps too!

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 39
A friend of mine who is an Audiologist told me that there are are wide number dietary influences when it comes to tinnitius. Some of the most prevalent being alcohol, sodium, and even asprin intake can promote it.

"Food" for thought for those that may not have any other good explanation for thier tinnitus.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Fekete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freed, I get the exact same thing myself. Every once in a while, I notice that my hearing in one ear fades smoothly away to nothing within a span of about a second, and the silence is followed by a constant tone that lasts for about five seconds, then fades back into normal hearing. It isn't noise-triggered, and it happens with equal frequency in either ear. Weird, weird.

Same thing here. I hope that isn't some sign of hearing loss coming or already having it. If I have tinnitus right now it is only very slight, as I can perceive some slight sound in my ears when the room becomes dead silent, or when I wear earplugs in a quiet environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back