Have i missed something in Skullcandy
Jan 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
I've just spent the lasst two days on yahoo ansers and every other question had someone recommending Skullcandy headphones. Have i missed something? I thought they were total garbage. Is my HD650/ RSA amp in serious danger of being of less worth than a pair of Skullcandy headphones?

Seriously though, have Skullcandy turned a corner or something, becasue the SC's I've tested have been total rubbish?

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
I've just spent the lasst two days on yahoo ansers and every other question had someone recommending Skullcandy headphones. Have i missed something? I thought they were total garbage. Is my HD650/ RSA amp in serious danger of being of less worth than a pair of Skullcandy headphones?

Seriously though, have Skullcandy turned a corner or something, becasue the SC's I've tested have been total rubbish?

Is Sennheiser or RSA heavily marketed and told to sheeple that they are the best? Are they pretty and radically colored? That's basically what most people that like SC care about.

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 14
Normal uninformed people (that you would find at yahoo answers) think skullcandy is good, since they know nothing about headphones. Us at headfi know the truth about skullcandy, that it sounds like utter crap. You didnt think that the people at yahoo answers would actually know what they're talking about with headphones did you?

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 14
They have bright colours and look nice. That's all they care about. Whenever I try and argue to one of my friends how bad Skullcandy, Bose or Monster is it always ends badly...

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Normal uninformed people (that you would find at yahoo answers) think skullcandy is good, since they know nothing about headphones. Us at headfi know the truth about skullcandy, that it sounds like utter crap. You didnt think that the people at yahoo answers would actually know what they're talking about with headphones did you?

I guess shen i first started all i knew about was Sennheiser, and so I stuck to them for years, until i got to try a pair of Grado's then Ultrasone, and now over 100 pair of headphones later, i've had a go on lots more. In my answers I've often stated how i gave away 2 pairs of my AKG K518 heaqdphones to previous SC owners. You should have seen their eyes light up when they tried the AKG's. O.K. the 518's are the most ... expansive headphones, but it is worrying when people claim SC to be the best. I see a dreadful amount of SC on students heads ... walking around town .... and WeSC ... but in a way i guess that a little of the blame should be on companies to get their products out there. I know people moan about Bose, Monster and the like, but come on Grado, AKG, Ultrasone, tec, etc ... get your marketing team to do some work for a change!!

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I guess shen i first started all i knew about was Sennheiser, and so I stuck to them for years, until i got to try a pair of Grado's then Ultrasone, and now over 100 pair of headphones later, i've had a go on lots more. In my answers I've often stated how i gave away 2 pairs of my AKG K518 heaqdphones to previous SC owners. You should have seen their eyes light up when they tried the AKG's. O.K. the 518's are the most ... expansive headphones, but it is worrying when people claim SC to be the best. I see a dreadful amount of SC on students heads ... walking around town .... and WeSC ... but in a way i guess that a little of the blame should be on companies to get their products out there. I know people moan about Bose, Monster and the like, but come on Grado, AKG, Ultrasone, tec, etc ... get your marketing team to do some work for a change!!

Too true. If only good headphone brands spent some money on marketing, there wouldnt be bankrupt students with monster beats and SC on their heads :\. They would have at least spent their hard-earned money on something worthwhile.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Quote:

AKG tried that. We ended up with GREEN K702's.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 14
Actually headfiers should not make themselves look so bad to the public. Skullcandy INKed buds are very good for 15 dollars, the Monster Turbine pros are just some of the best dynamic IEMs i have heard and even the Beats studio offers similar sound quality to my M50s. Overpriced, yes but definitely not the junk that some Monster bashers make them to be. Headphoneus supremuses should know better than that but then again people have their own opinions on stuff and i cant blame them.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 14
I've personally never heard anything by Skullcandy, and I await the opportunity anxiously. Not because I expect much, but so I can make an honest assessment and not have to sheepishly shift in my seat when I try to convince somebody not to buy SC/Bose/Beats. I know SC will be bad--I trust the many, many evaluations by my fellow Head-Fi'ers. But I have to experience the worst for myself.

I think we fight a losing battle if we're after the aesthetic crowd. As far as I'm concerned, they're an unattainable loss. I'm far more interested in the person who doesn't want green and purple (sorry, mackat) headphones with bullets glued to the headband--somebody who assumes that the bebulleted, bepurpled (new words coined by me two nanoseconds ago) things everybody else is wearing sound good. We get some of these people--after their third crappy fashion phone breaks, they do a Google search for "headphones" and find HeadRoom. Then, utterly bewildered by the place, they search something that looks promising and end up here. But I'd like to get to them before they even spend a dime on crap--cut out the middleman who preys upon inexperience.

For those who spend around $20, it honestly doesn't matter (KSC75 notwithstanding). But if they reach the $50 and above range, there is some really nice stuff they need to know about.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Quote:
the Beats studio offers similar sound quality to my M50s.

Give back your M50s, you have been ripped off.

Nope. They both have a V-curve, which makes them similar, at the simplest level. The M50's have more treble though. The Beats actually have a \_/---- (imagine the top part of the / is chopped off) more than anything. Like I've said before, if Denon or Beyer made headphones sounded exactly the same (okay, maybe a bit more controlled bass), they could probably get away with selling them at $150 and be raved about. Seriously, people say the XB500 sounds better, but they really really don't. Not even the XB700 does. The Best Buy station doesn't really flatter them. Although to be honest, I'd assume the HFI's at the very least give them a run for their money. People need to be more objective, which is probably impossible. One of the few reasons I dislike them is because what it turns the people that own them into.

Anyways, Heshes are really popular at my school. They suck. Like really bad for the $50ish I see them sell. Absolutely nothing is controlled.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 14
I wouldn't have such a problem with Skullcandies if they didn't break so much.  Even if you wanted them as a fashion statement and didn't care about audio quality, they hardly last more than a month with constant use.  Almost all of my friends have Skullcandies and they always break in about a month.  Sometimes my friends think I'm crazy for spending so much on headphones but when I point out that they're buying 10 pairs of $30 crap every year it doesn't seem so bad anymore.  Because of that, I consider skullcandies to be worse than Bose and Monster.

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 14
I started into this crazed hobby via skullcandy. I have a pair of their cheapo $5 earbuds and a pair of their small $25 on-ears. Both of which are honestly head and shoulders above the stock ibuds that are so popular. Granted, my SR60 is halfway to orbit by comparison, but in the <$30 catagory, skullcandy honestly isn't too terrible.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 14
I di buy the Skullcandy Lowrider's and they were dreadful, not only in terms of sound but the build quality was really poor, but that's what i've seen in all the SC's i've had a chance to go on. It's just so disturbing when the two main focuses are on Skullcandy, and Monster .. to a lesser degree.

I still belive in the credo: If you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion.

As far as Monster are concerned i've only got the Lady Gaga .. given to me by Planet Gizmo... and to be honest i didn't think they were half bad. But it's just this Yahoo answers thing has got my goat. When all you see are recommendations for Skullcandy ... it's just so sad to think that others are actually acting in such advice and thinking they're getting the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back