Have I got one for you...Sennheiser HD800s
Aug 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #16 of 33
Don't tell Sennheiser that you picked it from someone's trash lol. Say a kid broke it or something :p Once you get the replacement part, pick up a silver oil-based paint Sharpie and fill in the chips in the plastic, and you've got yourself a $1400 headphone for free, you lucky b*st*rd :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 33
Not sure if someone who's willing to throw out a HD800 would be deserving of the pure sound coming from one
tongue.gif

And I feel bad for my other headphones that I don't spend that much time with... 

For the HD800 it looks like quite a simple fix to me with the right part.

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:
Don't tell Sennheiser that you picked it from someone's trash lol. Say a kid broke it or something :p Once you get the replacement part, pick up a silver oil-based paint Sharpie and fill in the chips in the plastic, and you've got yourself a $1400 headphone for free, you lucky b*st*rd :)

Ikr, but honestly if I found an HD 8000... I'd sell ASAP. I'm not ready to hear something that epic yet, I want to slowly build up to that level of headphone! I'm ALMOST done with Mid fi, the Beyer T90 and He 500 are the last on my list of transitions, before I hit the T1. I might try a D7000k if I get my hands on a cheap one too! 
Quote:
Not sure if someone who's willing to throw out a HD800 would be deserving of the pure sound coming from one
tongue.gif

And I feel bad for my other headphones that I don't spend that much time with... 

For the HD800 it looks like quite a simple fix to me with the right part.

I know what you mean Street... that's why I sell my old headphones to loving homes <3 let some one else love them long time! 

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #19 of 33
Honestly, I probably will sell them. My girlfriend has a pair of Sennheiser HD280s that are all I need at this point. We've been together for over 4 years now, and a little extra cash might help make this relationship a little more permanent, if you catch my drift :).

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:
Honestly, I probably will sell them. My girlfriend has a pair of Sennheiser HD280s that are all I need at this point. We've been together for over 4 years now, and a little extra cash might help make this relationship a little more permanent, if you catch my drift :).

There you go man, get some CASH for that shizx and go settle down wid ya gal! 

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #21 of 33
Not to mention if you wanted to hear the best that the HD800 has to offer, you'll need to amp the hell out of them. They're very picky and only known to sound their best on a few stellar amps.

Sell them, spend $600 on a Schiit Magni/Modi and some HD600's or HD650, and you'll still have about $500 - $600 spending dollars to invest into the relationship
wink_face.gif

That is my recommendation! You wouldn't be disappointed
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 33
Not to mention if you wanted to hear the best that the HD800 has to offer, you'll need to amp the hell out of them. They're very picky and only known to sound their best on a few stellar amps.

Sell them, spend $600 on a Schiit Magni/Modi and some HD600's or HD650, and you'll still have about $500 - $600 spending dollars to invest into the relationship
wink_face.gif

That is my recommendation! You wouldn't be disappointed
bigsmile_face.gif

But since the HD800's were free, it would be more economical to get a $300 Matrix M-Stage which has exceptional synergy with the HD800.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:
But since the HD800's were free, it would be more economical to get a $300 Matrix M-Stage which has exceptional synergy with the HD800.

That's sort of like almost skipping to the end-game without the adventure of discovery. 
But it's still a valid point. 
Although, the OP did say he's not really an audiophile....

In this case though I would agree - get the economical source equipment, fix up the headphone and enjoy near-perfect sound for the rest of your life for less than $500. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #24 of 33
That story is seriously amazing.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Ah, man. Just reading this whole thread... I'm all smiles. What if you just happened to find an engagement ring in the trash instead? Would have saved you the money exchange but I'm sure the girlfriend wouldn't be as excited about it... looks like you scored!

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #28 of 33
I am sad the awesome hd800 are to be sold.

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:
I am sad the awesome hd800 are to be sold.

Be happy!
bigsmile_face.gif

Look at it this way....  He found them on a whim, so he's already extremely lucky!
And whoever buys them is obviously aware of what they're buying, so just assume they would go to a very good home
beyersmile.png

The only thing sad to me about this story is that the HD800 was discarded so carelessly. Who does that!!? Blasphema!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back