Have I gone crazy or do the skull candy aviators rock nations sound damn good!
Oct 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Primetime86

Aka: TheReem, Ryanetto
Gave these a go in HMV and I was surprised! these sound good! To my ears these sounded better than(To name a few)

V moda m100
M50
Aurvana live
All beats

Not quite as good as the momentum but better than the on ear momentum.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 24
I was surprised They are also dirt cheap on amazon going for £60

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 24
You arent crazy. The new version with the detachable cable sounds damn good. I had the older version, it was ok, but I wasnt impressed. The new one is like 'rough around the edges' senn momentum (which I also have)

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 24
I tried them at Radioshack a while back. They're decent, but not great. Their forward mids put me off a bit, but other than that they were surprisingly clear.

But to say they're better than the latest FOTM, the V-Moda M100, well...

popcorn.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 24
I don't think you're crazy. I've never heard those, but it doesn't matter really. If it sounds good to you, it is good.

In fact, I've always liked the Low Riders. I mean, I'm not saying they're great headphones, but for inexpensive beaters, they've satisfied my every need. I broke my old pair, I need to get a new pair.

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 24
You're not crazy. These sound great imo. I have a soft spot for these because the sound, style and comfort. I think it's one of the better cans in the $100 market. Especially when you can get it for under $100 on Amazon for example.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 24
You're not crazy at all

I picked up a used pair for $40 off Ebay last week (the more recent version with detachable cable and 34 ohm impedance versus 65 ohm on the older model) and was surprised how close they sound to my Grado SR80i -(except of course the Aviators are close backed).Skullcandy are definitely stepping up their game.I think the MSRP of $149 is a bit much but if you can get them for around $80-$100 they are a nicely balanced well detailed set of closed phones.and they sound even nicer through a decent amp.just picked up an iBasso D2+ Boa and coupled with the Aviators there is added warmth,better bass response and cleaner mids and highs over all. the D2+ Boa has given me a whole new level of appreciation for the Aviators (and I already loved them unamped)
L3000.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 24
How is the soundstage and depth of the new Aviators?

Soundstage is not the Aviator's strong suit,nonetheless they do have very nice instrument separation and incredible clarity especially with higher resolution files and acoustic instruments and while they aren't bass heavy cans by any means they do a great job of bringing out really rich textures in even the sub bass frequencies,especially in ambient genres and properly EQ'd provide more than ample bass for most,i'd prefer a bit more,though admittedly i am a basshead so that's just me.

and if i'm not mistaken a user here named Ishcabible has a mint pair of Aviators in red for sale for $40 w/ case (just not the original box),and he has a great seller rep,so if you're curious yet don't want to break the bank, that would be the way to go,i was going to buy that pair myself then found a pair in blue (my favorite color) for the same price and can't believe what a great deal i scored.also even though they are low impedance at 34 ohms i find they do improve nicely with a portable amp,though it's not a necessity.also they benefit from burn in,at first the mids sounded a bit crowded or congested to me,but after about 40-50 hours burn in the difference was night and day. hope that helps.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 24
  and if i'm not mistaken a user here named Ishcabible has a mint pair of Aviators in red for sale for $40 w/ case (just not the original box),and he has a great seller rep,so if you're curious yet don't want to break the bank, that would be the way to go,i was going to buy that pair myself then found a pair in blue (my favorite color) for the same price and can't believe what a great deal i scored.also even though they are low impedance at 34 ohms i find they do improve nicely with a portable amp,though it's not a necessity.also they benefit from burn in,at first the mids sounded a bit crowded or congested to me,but after about 40-50 hours burn in the difference was night and day. hope that helps.

Yes, please buy them 
biggrin.gif
 I'd keep them for myself, but I don't necessarily need something this portable because my ZMF fits in my bag and I'd rather put the money towards the T1/LCD2/Alpha Dog I'm saving up for.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 24
Thanks xylin6. I was considering getting them, but I think I'm looking for a set with a decent soundstage around the same price. Ishcabible have you thought about putting them on eBay? I'm sure you could get more than $40 on there.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #14 of 24
I'd rather sell it to someone here and I don't wanna deal with fees.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks xylin6. I was considering getting them, but I think I'm looking for a set with a decent soundstage around the same price. Ishcabible have you thought about putting them on eBay? I'm sure you could get more than $40 on there.

No problem, Have you considered the Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 ohm version) ? they can generally be found used for around $140 and have gorgeous depth and soundstage and reach well into the sub bass frequencies without any bleed over into the midrange and the highs are brilliant but not sharp or sibilant whatsoever .granted they do require a portable amp as they are power hungry (i use the iBasso D2+ Boa) ,and the long cord and their large size make them more suitable for home listening,although you can wrap the cord using a rubber band and they are very light and easily the most comfortable headphones in my collection,so using them on the go isn't out of the question.

also you may want to read up on the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (modded with Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions) for a less expensive option, although I have only read reviews on these and have not heard them with my own ears ,though what I have read makes me want to purchase them sometime in the near future, the Panasonics are under $30 and the velour cushions around $21,for impressions on those i suggest reading MalVaeuX's review here http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-step-monitor/reviews/5665 . I also understand that the Creative Aurvana Live are supposed to be incredible for the price,so you may want to read up on those as well.yet another brand i am interested in hearing as i've read so many great reviews on them,so many headphones,so little money :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back