Have had two IEMs break on my the past three years, what do I get now?
Jan 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bobby9

New Head-Fier
In 08 I bought a pair of q-Jays and loved them. Eventually one of the channels cut out so I replaced under warranty. It was all good until the same thing happened to that pair after the warranty expired so I figured whatever I'll try a different company. I bought UE 700's and really liked them too except a few months after their warranty expired something went wrong and now sound cuts in and out. 

I don't want to spend another 100-200 dollars and have it break in about a year again. It's not a problem with how I handle them because I would always put them back in the case that was provided and was always careful. I don't use my iPod as much as I do my phone to listen to music now so I'm wondering if I should get a cheaper pair that's decent with a mic or do what I've done previously and get a pair in the 100-200 price range. 

Right now I'm looking at the Sennheiser IE 7's but if anyone could suggest something better (and hopefully cheaper) that'd be nice. Also, if you know a good set with a mic I'd be interested in that as well. Thanks. 

Summary: I want a durable pair in 100-200 range or sub 100 pair with a mic. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 5
The connector seems to be the weak point on many IEMs. I've learned how to repair them by soldering on a new connector - worthwhile when everything else about an IEM is "perfect."

Seems like Etymotics last a long time, and several highly experienced head-fi-ers say that AT CK10's have amazing build quality. (No experience here with either brand.)

Jan 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 5
My only concert with Etymotic is the triple flange tip. I've never felt comfortable with those and I don't want to have to buy comply tips or anything like that. 

The CK10's look like they're out of my price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back