Have Grado SR60 and Sennheiser IE8, not satisfied - considering Beyerdynamic DT-250 / Audio-Technica M50
Apr 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

topperdoggle

Head-Fier
I have some SR60s that I've owned for about 15 years (when I bought them, nobody had heard of them).  I still like them, they don't disappoint as such, they are very listenable, but the open back is a bit of a problem (both ways) as a lot of my listening is at work and on public transport.

I also have a set of IE8s which despite my trying to love them, just haven't grabbed me (and I've EQd out the mid-bass hump).  It could be argued that my expectations are too high, but #180 for a set of IEMs that barely wow me, isn't value in my book.  Sure, they sound good, I probably prefer the dynamics to the SR60s, and of course they aren't open-back :wink: but still, I don't think they're for me.

So I'm considering selling both and going for some Beyerdynamic DT-250s or AT M50s.  I should even be able to have a little cash left over.

I currently don't use a headphone amp, but I might buy a small portable one at some point in the future.  Sources are currently my work laptop and HTC Desire HD phone, with music encoded to high enough bitrates that I can't tell a difference from lossless.  I generally listen to (all kinds of) rock, folk, prog, fusion etc.  I don't like to be bored, nor fatigued.  :wink:

Given what I've said above, does the font of all knowledge think I'd be satisfied with DT-250s / M50s, or are there other better options?

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply, I found them (I think) at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0057P09EK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=16A0H49NXPQEY96XP690&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294.

It is hard to find much information but I think that the Lindys are the same thing as the Brainwavz HM5s.  Very strange, seems to be a bit of an oddball.  But the price is certainly very reasonable.

I think I might have to purchase a few pairs, compare them, and sell the (relative) losers.  I have an eye on the For Sale forum, but it's full of exotica.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back