have anyone used T-Amp for SENNHEISER headphone ?
Jun 19, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 9
The T-Amp is designed for loudspeakers, not headphones. With that said, I remember reading somewhere that the T-Amp can be modded to allow it to drive headphones. But I do not recall those DIY insturctions being very informative or detailed. In all of my time here at Head-Fi I don't recall seeing the T-Amp used for any headphones other than the AKG K1000s (which are practically loudspeakers that you strap to your head).

Jun 19, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 9
It is my understanding that most of the new, inexpensive digital amps don't like to share a common ground. Results vary from bad or no sound, to fried circuitry. Proceed at your own risk.

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by htom78
hi,

the T-Amp is very interesting, and I want to know has anyone used it for SENNHEISER headphone, hd 600 or Hd 650?

thanks!

You can do it, but you have to cut off the 1/4" plug and separate out the 4 wires from HD6XX cable.

You can just stick the wires into speaker outputs of T-amp, or terminate them into 4-pin XLR, which then connects via 4 wires to speaker outputs. I used to run my AKG K340 this way..

Jun 19, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
You can do it, but you have to cut off the 1/4" plug and separate out the 4 wires from HD6XX cable.

You can just stick the wires into speaker outputs of T-amp, or terminate them into 4-pin XLR, which then connects via 4 wires to speaker outputs. I used to run my AKG K340 this way..

I would be worried that I would accidently turn the drivers on my headphones inside out running them like that. That seems like an aweful lot of juice to be running unregulated through a pair of heaphones! Did you have a way to regulate the volume other than your own judgement?

Jun 19, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L

yes I want to do using the you said way, but use a upgrade cable with no 1/4'' plug,but where can I buy the y type plug of HD6XX to stick into?

does your modded AKG K340 using T-AMP sound good?

Jun 19, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 9
My assesment of the situation: I run my K701 this way. The power and sound out of it is amazing, BUT I've discovered most headphones have noticeable background noise from power amps when no music is playing. (I've tried it with several pairs independently, and with more than one amp). The T-Amp is the one I've tried it most with, though. If you can handle a little background noise when the music's gone, then go for it. Otherwise, stick to amps designed to run 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back