Have an IPOD? Have an Amp? Now is your IPOD modded?
Jan 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

patwrik

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
As you can see, I'm a noob, but I been lurking for the past month or so trying to learn as much as I can.

From my understanding, many people have an Ipod on this forum as well as an amp using an LOD to get the best possible signal from the Ipod. My question is, how many of you guys/gals have your Ipod modded for a true Line Out signal?

Do you think it makes that much of a difference if your Ipod is modded or not?

Now if my Ipod is not modded, is it going TRUELY benefit from an amp or am I just wasting good $$$?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On a sidenote,

I am in the process of building a 32gb Ipod mini 2nd Gen. I know theres a DIYMOD thread for the Ipod Mini but I do not have soldering iron nor the confidence to pull the mod off if it makes such a big difference. Then theres the more complex talk about caps and LODs. ALL IN ALL, too much information is making my head spin!

Before I read about the DIYMOD and reading on ClieOS blog/threadposting, I was all set to get some SCL4 and a BSG cMoy amp as my first set up. Now Im second guessing my investment in additional gear.

HELP!

PS....Sorry if I posted in the wrong subforum....

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 9
You don't have to have your iPod modded to get a "true line out signal". A line-out dock (e.g., ALO) gives you a line out signal that can be used with any portable or desktop amp. I am quite satisfied using an iPod Video (30Gb) with ALO LOD into an iQube amp to Ultrasone Edition 9 phones as my portable rig. The amp (whichever you choose) should provide a significant step up in sound quality over the iPod headphone out, and greater flexibility in type of phones used (iem vs. low impedance cans vs. high impedance).

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 9
When I use my iPod, portability comes first. That means no amps, no line outs, no nonsense. I just plug my headphones into my iPod and off I go.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I'll say you original plan of iPod mini + LOD + cmoy + SCL4 is quite solid as an entry setup. Don't worry too much on how to squeeze out every bit of SQ now. Part of the fun on trying out different setup and upgrading to new gears is so that you can find out what exactly meets your listening preference.

Take a fellow members' experience as an example: Fitz, who is quite knowledgeable and owns a large collection of AKG headphones, spent quite some time building up his dream setup but he ended up selling it off. As he told us, the setup was actually too perfect for serious auditioning and became less than ideal for relax listening - music becomes less enjoyable, thus he rather listen to a lesser, but more enjoyable setup. The point is, just because something is technically better doesn't mean you'll like it better.

Head-fi is an addiction - many people who chase around 'the best' for too long often forget why they are here in the first place. It is music that matters the most, not the gears.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 9
I agree. The music is the thing. My rig (which I consider portable) allows me to enjoy music while flying (almost this rig's exclusive use) while simultaneously indulging personal enjoyment of fine equipment. I own phones that are much more comfortable, and much better amps and source equipment, but this rig allows me to carry along a bit of music to while away the hours on the plane.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 9
Hi
I found a cheap LOD from wemakeamp on ebay, $16us with a Canare cable, should get mine tomorrow, I ask them to shorten the cable from 10" to 5" and he replied that doing so wouldn't be a problem. I just started using a 80g ipod video as my portable player and the first thing I did was Rockbox it, I'm using flac encoded files and with Rockbox's EQ and the LOD to my Move amp I'm hoping for a nice level of SQ. We will see.

This address for wemakeamp http://myworld.ebay.com.au/wemakeamp/

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 9
i just redid my portable setup actually. Im kinda still in the process..think i tracked down a small LOD to my liking.

Im using a classic 120GB with a Lyrix amp..CD are ripped to Apple lossless...i have to admit, it sounds pretty nice just stock like this. I wish i could run Rockbox or iMod...but its a 6.5G and they dont have either for it as yet.

For the price of a lod and a amp, its TOTAL worth it to me.. I dont mind have a small amp setup. Hell, i even amp my IEMs (SA6's). YES, they really do sound better with a amp. Not to mention i blow peoples mind with my SR60s tossed into the mix...I have a loaner pair of SR125 i also like to use to show people how nice the setup really is.

If you want portable get a Clipz or whatever they call it. I have a small 4GB Samsung T9 that i toss in my pocket if i want something small....however, my new iPod/amp combo sounds soooooooo good. I find myself grabbing for that more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back