Has this ever happened to you? Sounds GREAT and then.... not so much.
Aug 29, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528

I am experiencing a strange thing while listening to a new audio gear.  Immediate impressions were GREAT.  Even after a few days of listening.  Then it just became dull and no so good.  When I felt that way, I started to compare it to my other gear in the same category and it confirmed my feelings.  I don't think its listening fatigue because I still like to listen to it.  It just doesn't excite me or allow me to feel the music.  It's kinda boring.  

Why would this be?  It was impressive at the beginning.  Did I like it because I didn't know what I like or what I was listening to?  Is it me or the gear?  Do manufactures do this to sell more gear?

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 15
That's perfectly normal for me.  I've had things take a week before I notice problems, find I don't like something about the piece of gear, or just find a prefer something else.  Hearing is a very subjective and subtle thing, and characterizing our likes and dislikes, even to ourselves can be quite difficult.  Plus there is a very real 'getting used to it' time - both in minutes, when switching between headphones - and even in days I sometimes find.  I don't know why.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 15
Heya,

It's a lot like an orgasm that is new and then becomes routine.

And ... look at all those headphones. So, works the same in both analogies even.
evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 15
Well for me it happens every time I make some upgrade in my gear. Last year I have bought a French CD player YBA, a very good only CD player (before it I listened to my music through a Marantz universal player): when I first listened to my YBA I thought: "Wow, what a sound!", Than, the day after I was already accustomed to the new sound and I didn't hear any wonderful sound anymore.
Same this year: one month ago I have bought the incredible Naim 555 and for the first half an hour I listened in complete awe (maybe because is way too expensive too!) and then, nothing more wonderful. It is not your audio gear that is worsening, it is only your ear that grows accustomed to the new sound. Nothing more. But now, after a month's break-in, listening to my Naim is the most beautiful audio experience I have had! My audio system disappears and I listen to only the music, pure music....

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:

I am experiencing a strange thing while listening to a new audio gear.  Immediate impressions were GREAT.  Even after a few days of listening.  Then it just became dull and no so good.  When I felt that way, I started to compare it to my other gear in the same category and it confirmed my feelings.  I don't think its listening fatigue because I still like to listen to it.  It just doesn't excite me or allow me to feel the music.  It's kinda boring.  

Why would this be?  It was impressive at the beginning.  Did I like it because I didn't know what I like or what I was listening to?  Is it me or the gear?  Do manufactures do this to sell more gear?

You said it's new, maybe it needs more break in time. Some of the components I've had sounded pretty bad at first listen, but then gradually improved. Some others actually go from pretty good to mediocre, and then on to great over the break in process. Give it more time, if by the 500 hour mark you don't like it, I'd say get rid of it.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Two reasons:

1. You get used to stuff after awhile; it doesn't take that long.

2. Manufacturers deliberately color gear (especially headphones and speakers) to make it exciting on first listen. Whatever immediately stands out at a demo, show or meet is usually what gets purchased. Some of them perpetuate the burn-in myth as a way to get someone to spend more time with a product instead of returning it.

And, no, manufacturers aren't paragons of purity and honesty. They're out to turn a buck, not reveal cosmic truths. It's the same thing when a car salesman tries to get you to buy the undercoating or when a big box store salesman pressures you to buy the extended warranty.

People buy colored gear, get tired of or used to the coloration and then think the solution is buying a more expensive piece of colored gear.

If you want to stop rolling the upgraditis rock up the hill, get some good neutral gear. 15 minutes with it in a showroom won't blow you away. But as you listen to it over time, you'll notice how little it gets wrong. Since there's no or little coloration, you won't burn out on its sound. Then you can forget about buying the Next Big Thing and focus on the music.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 15
Another reason to have multiple headphones! 
L3000.gif

Listen to one for a while and when you get "used to it" you can switch to another one that you haven't listened to in a while to get a fresh sound. After a while, come back to it and once again it will blow you away as it did on first listen. Tip: for added blow-away-ness try using some stock earbuds or something really bad for a week, then come back to your gear!

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Two reasons:

1. You get used to stuff after awhile; it doesn't take that long.

2. Manufacturers deliberately color gear (especially headphones and speakers) to make it exciting on first listen. Whatever immediately stands out at a demo, show or meet is usually what gets purchased. Some of them perpetuate the burn-in myth as a way to get someone to spend more time with a product instead of returning it.

And, no, manufacturers aren't paragons of purity and honesty. They're out to turn a buck, not reveal cosmic truths. It's the same thing when a car salesman tries to get you to buy the undercoating or when a big box store salesman pressures you to buy the extended warranty.

People buy colored gear, get tired of or used to the coloration and then think the solution is buying a more expensive piece of colored gear.

If you want to stop rolling the upgraditis rock up the hill, get some good neutral gear. 15 minutes with it in a showroom won't blow you away. But as you listen to it over time, you'll notice how little it gets wrong. Since there's no or little coloration, you won't burn out on its sound. Then you can forget about buying the Next Big Thing and focus on the music.

That was my impression.  Sort of like HDTVs.  All the ones on the wall at our local store are on "Dynamic" mode to get customers to buy them.  

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
If Head-Fi was Disneyland, fights would break out over whether Mickey Mouse is real or some guy in a furry costume.  

You mean, it's not..?? HeadFi = Disneyland Audio Supremus. (Heck, they even use AKG K1000 drivers in their sound system).

Oh, my.!!!!      Pass the smelling salts...

Next there will be attacks on the veracity of santa and the easter bunny..

Where will it all end..???

Are we seeing the effects of our postmodernist culture evidencing itself in an unscrupulous attack on known values in both science and culture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back