Has Sennheiser Fallen From Grace?
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
I don’t want this thread creation to come off the wrong way. I own a couple Sennheiser headphones and have a history with the brand. But strolling Head-Fi I can’t help but notice they don’t seem to have the visibility of years past?

I was getting interested in the HD820 and followed the thread still it seemed it’s popularity fizzled out? I can’t seem to find any new IEM development except for a slight gloss over on their flagship IE800 IEM? What year did that come out? Oh........2012!

It just seems strange to me to have a giant headphone company with huge R&D resources not make anything new?

A year after I started Head-Fi the HD800 came out. I know they are responsible for the most well regarded headphone systems in history at any price; mainly the HE-1 Orpheus HE 1060/HEV1060; and original HE90?

Still if you were to scan the recent forum posts in the last year, there is almost no mention of Sennheiser anywhere in new posts at Head-Fi?

Am I going crazy?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 21
They come out with aplethora of new models each year in the consumer quality grade.
They are nowhere as prolific as Sony are with new models

Apr 19, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 21
They come out with aplethora of new models each year in the consumer quality grade.
They are nowhere as prolific as Sony are with new models

I'm just reiterating the differences from when I joined. It seems they are not talked much about.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 21
C6B3E9B8-5B84-41B2-8754-83BE5434BA4E.jpeg
All the new flavour-of-the-month manufacturers are eclipsing the Senn.

I remember hearing these at 12 years old.

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 21
What about the 820? Not my favorite, but neither is the 800, or 800S. Same with the 660 and 650. If you look at the world of high end gear there aren't a lot of releases YoY (except for HifiMan). I think there are two reasons for that 1. High end gear takes a long time to R&D for improvements. 2. If you just dropped $$$$ on a piece of gear only for it to be replaced by a newer model in the next 2-3 years you might wait indefinitely or go away from the brand, especially the very very high end stuff.

Apr 30, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 21
They put lots of different models.
Just not so many high fidelity ones.

They are also blitzed by all the new brands flooding the market wit so-called high fedility and flagship models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back