Has owning great headphones changed the music styles you listen to?
Jan 31, 2006 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Tones

Head-Fier
On an average has the style of music you listen to the most changed by getting new headphones? Realizing how quality some certain styles are that you never fully appreciated before hearing them through an amazing set? Has anyone totally stuck to what they liked before? Just wondering.

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 35
Buy Grado, learn to appreciate accousitc.

If it rhymed, it would be a slogan...

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 35
not really, it made me buy more music, alot more-suddenly listening to classical radio wasn't good enough, now i think i need the best version of that piece ever recorded!

Jan 31, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 35
I was traditionally a Trance and Hip-Hop fan, but after my Sennheiser HD485s, I find myself also liking any songs with a clear acoustic guitar, piano or vocal. Usually Pop or Alternative. I just love being able to hear the extra details that aren't found in the usual Trance or Hip-hop songs.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 35
Not so much as a changing of preference, but rather a re-discovery so to speak. Example: When I bought my SR60, I started to listen to a lot of metal/prog-rock that I haven't listened to for a while, and the experience of rediscovery is very cool. Same thing happened when I got my PPX3: I started to re-listen to a lot of the vocal music I had because the PPX3 added something magical to the midrange and made most vocals more intimate and involving.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 35
Listening with headphones didn't change my musical preferences but it did change the source of my music. Previously, I listened to MP3s on DAP and PC. But now, I listen more to CDs.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 35
Answer: definitely. I listen to a lot more unamped acoustic genres now, they always sounded crappy and unrealistic with cheaper cans.

Jan 31, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 35
I've always been a classical/orchestral fan, even with crap speakers and phones. But better headphones got me into solo piano and violin pieces, string quartets, and generally smaller chamber ensembles.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 35
Still pretty much the same. I just happen to be able to appreciate it better.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #13 of 35
Headphone listening has made me a better listener, but I was an 'audiophile' before I ever wandered into the headphone aspect of the hobby. So I had already cycled through the traditional 'moves' in terms of acquiring a lot of 'better recorded' music and expanding my musical interests (i.e., discovering jazz and blues, etc).

But I do think headphones bring you 'closer' to the music in terms of details that you can hear that you might miss with speaker rigs. Thus, you tend to become much more interested in music that is on the complicated, textured, intricate and diverse side of the fence. It becomes more difficult to listen to standard fare 'pop' and 'rock' music (although there are obviously exceptions) but headphones are perfect for most jazz and blues, as well as ambient/house types of material.

I (for one) am not a terribly big fan of (most) classical music through headphones. For my tastes, I need to hear an orchestra while sitting in front of my speaker rig where I can get a better sense of placement and depth perception. It seems that I miss a lot of the beauty of what classical music has to offer with headphones.

For a totally different reason, I don't like much 'classic rock' through headphones, but it's not what I'm "missing" so much as it is that annoyance factor of getting an all left or all right signal far too often. The amps I use don't have crossfeed, and I think this is needed with much of the poorly recorded music from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Jan 31, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 35
Just a little... Jazz, acoustic instruemtation, I listen to vocal qualities much more now. I seem to like "simpler" styles of music. Simple vocal lines and stuff, with acoustic instruments and ambient recordings, as opposed to being whalloped with a wall of sound. My musical tastes have more dynamics now... Much more quiet passages in what I listen to now. I get just as excited hearing the "nothing" in music... the black space.

Garrett

Jan 31, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #15 of 35
I listen to more complex music types, because headphones can really bring out all the little details that are hiding in many recordings. Ever since I got into headphone listening, I am listening to a wider range of music, no doubt!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back