Has Grado changed the cable on the RS-1?
Mar 10, 2006 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I recieved my new RS-1 from TTVJ today (excellent price!!!), and the cable seems a little lighter than that of my (now ATAT's) older RS-1.. I can't say if they sound any different, because of burn-in and general age difference, but the cable is definately a little lighter.

BTW, the new Grado smell is soo satisfying... it's almost like sniffing glue
tongue.gif
John, if you're reading this, RS-1 #2853 is in good hands and sounds most excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

And of course the pic:
p30900541xc.jpg

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 15
I have no idea what it is, but those look somehow different from the other RS-1s I've seen. Maybe it's just the lighting? Anyone else think they look weird in that pic?

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
I have no idea what it is, but those look somehow different from the other RS-1s I've seen. Maybe it's just the lighting? Anyone else think they look weird in that pic?

maybe it's the flash, but the coloration/shades of the different cups/parts of cups don't match. The grain of the wood is also quiet lighter than the older ones

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
maybe it's the flash, but the coloration/shades of the different cups/parts of cups don't match. The grain of the wood is also quiet lighter than the older ones

You are correct. The right side is a bit lighter than the left, and has less grain, and the RS-1 logo is bolder on the right (they were flipped in the photo). They also have the square cut circle thingy that hits the cable.

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 15
Hmm...

My MS2 is old-ish. I bought it used a bout 18 months ago.
My RS1 is # 1293
My HF1 is #88 (October 2005 build, most recent of the 3)

All 3 have the same cable. So certainly there weren't any changes in that time frame.

Garrett

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 15
I've owned two recently made RS-1's and currently own an MS-Pro. The cable does seem a little thin and fragile. However, I don't have an older RS-1 to compare.

Off topic...
Your RS-1 is a very recently built one based on it's serial number. I've owned an RS-1 (SN: 2730) and it had notable cosmetic defects which several other RS-1 owners have also described. I'm wondering how your new RS-1 compares to those described in this thread...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154679
From your pic, there appears to be a slightly rough and feathered edge on the left cup. Also, the "RS-1" lettering on the button on the left cup looks "bolder" than the one on the right cup.

Anyway, enjoy your cans! I don't intend on beating a dead horse about RS-1 defects. I'm just curious to see if Grado has resolved the cosmetic issues with the RS-1. I'm sure many others who have followed the "late Friday RS-1" thread are too.
biggrin.gif

I'm also a fellow 650/Zu and high-end Grado owner and enjoy them both immensely. Here is a pic of mine...
e2647b50.jpg

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
I've owned two recently made RS-1's and currently own an MS-Pro. The cable does seem a little thin and fragile. However, I don't have an older RS-1 to compare.

Off topic...
Your RS-1 is a very recently built one based on it's serial number. I've owned an RS-1 (SN: 2730) and it had notable cosmetic defects which several other RS-1 owners have also described. I'm wondering how your new RS-1 compares to those described in this thread...
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154679
From your pic, there appears to be a slightly rough and feathered edge on the left cup. Also, the "RS-1" lettering on the button on the left cup looks "bolder" than the one on the right cup.

Anyway, enjoy your cans! I don't intend on beating a dead horse about RS-1 defects. I'm just curious to see if Grado has resolved the cosmetic issues with the RS-1. I'm sure many others who have followed the "late Friday RS-1" thread are too.
biggrin.gif

I'm also a fellow 650/Zu and high-end Grado owner and enjoy them both immensely. Here is a pic of mine...
e2647b50.jpg

Beautiful, you just need a set of recabled K701s to balance out your setup.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
From your pic, there appears to be a slightly rough and feathered edge on the left cup.

Very good eye you have. I didn't notice it till you mentioned it, but there is a tiny defect on the right cup (again, they were reversed in the pic). Also, the R slider is much easier to move than the L, which isn't much of a problem but is kinda lame to see on a $625 pair of headphones.
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I was definately worred about defects after reading your thread, so I asked Todd to open them and have a look to be sure they were cosmetically good before shipping. I'm still not sure if he recieved the email, or if these were the best of the bunch. I'm not disappointed with them (love the sound too much!), but am still concerned with the build quality. For $625 I expect flawless quality, but have learned to accept a bit lower for the amazing Grado sound. Still, the build quality seemed to be better with the older generation of RS-1s.

Quote:

I'm also a fellow 650/Zu and high-end Grado owner and enjoy them both immensely.

The combo is very complimenting
smily_headphones1.gif
The HD-650 + Zu are better with classical & some jazz, and the RS-1 are better with rock, jazz & poorly recorded material. IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 15
Definately looking forward to your impressions (and pics!) Bob
rs1smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
the R slider is much easier to move than the L,

I would try rubbing a light coat of silicone lube on the height adjuster rods. This will smooth things up.

Quote:

Still, the build quality seemed to be better with the older generation of RS-1s.

Another Head-Fier PM'ed me and said esssentially the same thing when he recently received his replacement RS-1 directly from Grado, although he did not elaborate. His original RS-1 was even worse cosmetically than my "late Friday" RS-1. I guess I should be lucky to have an older MS-Pro that are practically perfect with the exception of the paint on the "R" and "L" letters flaking off. At least they all sound good.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The HD-650 + Zu are better with classical & some jazz, and the RS-1 are better with rock, jazz & poorly recorded material. IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

I also share your opinion. Anything with guitars or acoustic stringed instruments...RS-1/MS-Pro hands down. Orchestral music...650/Zu hands down. I tend to prefer the 650 with hip hop, rap, and synthesizer music (eg. Eminem, Beastie Boys, Depeche Mode) although Grados are also good. IMO, if I were to own only one or the other, I would be compromising on certain types of music.

Mar 10, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

BTW, the new Grado smell is soo satisfying... it's almost like sniffing glue
tongue.gif

Actually, since we're talking Grado here I'd say that smell is EXACTLY like sniffing glue! BWAHAHAHAHA!!

rs1smile.gif

Seriously though, enjoy your new RS-1's! They're fine, fine headphones.

Mar 10, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 15
My ps-1 cable felt lighter then my older rs-1 cable. I'm assuming the ps-1's were made with rs-1 cables.

Biggie.

Mar 10, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hmm...

My MS2 is old-ish. I bought it used a bout 18 months ago.
My RS1 is # 1293
My HF1 is #88 (October 2005 build, most recent of the 3)

All 3 have the same cable. So certainly there weren't any changes in that time frame.

Garrett

The RS-1 does technically have a "different" cable.....it says so on the back of the Grado boxes (specs).

PS - I know the RS-1 box is blank on the back...I mean the other boxes
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back