Has anyone used the Spin-Clean - Record Washer System?
Jan 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 15
There were variations on this theme years and years ago. They did not work then and I strongly suspect this will not be effective. As a long time vinyl aficionado, I have found that the traditional vacuum record cleaners are the only truly effective way to clean vinyl. I find that the basic Nitty Gritty manual machine (or VPI equivalent) works as well or better than the more feature-ladened machines so far as the actual cleaning is concerned -- manually "scrub" rinse and vacuum. I guess it depends on how serious you are about cleaning your records.

Edit: I think you could do at least as well (probably better) using a "bathe & shake" method in a sink or similar receptacle, and save $60, if that's your thing. I knew many people who swore by this method. You can also home-brew your own record cleaning solution (distilled water, alcohol and Foto-Flow was a popular recipe); I found the commercial products to be better though.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. The bathe and shake method hasn't worked for me.

Have you used the cleaning "pads" for vacuum machines? That really is the key to getting the grit and grime out of the grooves (as much with a new record as an old one). The best thing is to keep your eyes out for a Nitty Gritty 1.0 on the used market -- the motors on these things last forever and all the disposable parts are readily available. I see these going for a song, particularly when the owners' have upgraded. Start stalking...
smile_phones.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 15
You won't regret it. You don't need to go all out -- there is a school of thought that manual cleaning before rising and vacuuming trumps the convenience of the high end models, so long as you are not doing high-volume.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 15
Interesting -- I've never seen one before. Like a Flowbee for records. Looks like it will work fine if you get enough suction going on. Let us know how it works out.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 15
I got the VPI 16.5 for christmas, and I can attest to a paradigm shift in the record cleaning ability. Scrub all you want with disk doctor, or in the sink. A vacuum record cleaning machine (all a variety on a theme) will transform your record collection, especially the used ones. I do agree though, that a thorough cleaning of new records before first listening is important.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 15
Ha thanks for the link...I'm encouraged to fire up the old 1500 PSI pressure washer and see what it can do with this old copy of U2's War, which looks like it's been through one.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 15
The Spin Clean is featured in Fremers' "Analog Corner" this month........I'd save for a vpi16.5 it will last you forever.......mine's goin' on 6yrs......best ass. I ever bought....

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this review of a product George Merrill came up with. He has some opinions about vacuum record cleaners too.
6moons audio reviews: GEM Dandy Hydraulic Record Cleaning Apparatus
I'll leave it up to you to google for some of the discussions on diying a version yourself..
(which I am in the process of doing)

I got a few bits from the dollar store and used a chop stick and the right sized pen nib for a nozzle. It works but honestly I can't compare the results with a dedicated machine.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this review of a product George Merrill came up with. He has some opinions about vacuum record cleaners too.
6moons audio reviews: GEM Dandy Hydraulic Record Cleaning Apparatus
I'll leave it up to you to google for some of the discussions on diying a version yourself..
(which I am in the process of doing)

I did get the GEM dandy and it works so well though can be a bit of a pain since its more of a manual process then a vacuum cleaner. Regarding the spin clean, it's even cheaper and i would say give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back