Has anyone upgraded the 580s to 600s?
Aug 10, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experiences you could also find the differences you descriped in HD600s vs HD600s, Jubilee vs HD580, Jubilee vs HD600, Jubilee vs Jubilee or -like in your case- HD580 vs HD600.
If you take two random phones of that series they will sound different...
m00h

Yeah, but the more expensive one is always slightly better...

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 27
Gradofan,
The drivers are the same in the 580 and 600's sure, but the dampening is different and improved in the 600's. Also look up the frequency responses graphs on Headroom and compare the two...they are different.
Also, almost all reviewers have noted that the sound of the 600's is an improvement over the 580's, especially in areas of bass extension, midrange smoothness, refinement, and top-end detail.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #19 of 27
Believe what you will. All I can tell you is... Sennheiser says the elements are identical (same part number) - identical elements will produce the same sound (except for the factors I noted).

The frequency curves are not at all relevant - they are not comparing the the modded HD580's (deveiled with the HD600 screens and the same cable) - they are comparing the stock HD580's to the stock HD600's... which is why we mod the HD580's - to get them to sound like the HD600's.

The very obvious deduction is... if your want your HD580's to sound like HD600's - change the only parts that are different... the screens and the cables, and possibly the foam liners - I prefer them deveiled with a silver cable.

And... by the way... my modded HD580's sound identical to my HD600's (now sold).

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #20 of 27
I have to respectfully disagree,
I also have modded my 580's as well, but to my ears, and with my system, my 600's are still superior in the above named respects.
The bass especially, is simply more extended in the 600's.
The mods do improve the 580's slightly, however, IMHO.
The dampening material around the outside edges of the driver are different as well on the stock units. The 580's is sort of a silverish white, and the 600's is black, so they are obviously made from different materials...I think this makes a difference in the sonics as well.
This is the screen-like material that is inside the unit built into the element housing. You can easily see it if you turn the headphone around and look through the outside metal screen. I don't know which color material the replacement elements that you buy from Sennheiser has?

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here... check it out...

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...rtsfinder.aspx

...part number 091570 for the element / driver for both the HD580's and HD600's.

As I said... I had both of them for about a month - they sound identical with the HD600 grills/screens.

Don't waste your money - just tweek your HD580's, and perhaps try a silver cable.

It would make sense that they would sell the same part now, because I'm sure that the fitting is the same, so why sell an older part when you don't need to. My guess is that when the 580's were originally made they used a different driver.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 27
My guess is they probably used the same driver even back then, but the above mentioned differences in the internal dampening screens was probably the difference...one is black and one is silverish colored, therefore a different material, and sonically different.
I went to Sennheisers website, and the replacement element has the black dampening screen, and is therefore identical to my 600's.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would make sense that they would sell the same part now, because I'm sure that the fitting is the same, so why sell an older part when you don't need to. My guess is that when the 580's were originally made they used a different driver.

Your logic makes no sense from an economic point of view and your guess is wrong.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your logic makes no sense from an economic point of view and your guess is wrong.

...well rumor has it that there were three types of HD580: The original HD580, the Jubilee, and the current HD580 Precision. And the pictures I saw of the old HD580 looked different than the new.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the HD580 driver assemblies are now out of production and are no longer available and since the HD600 drivers physically fit, they may be the units Senn sells to keep all the ol' 580s on the road.

....could be.

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy the HD600 screens and replace the plastic HD580 screens - and voila... you have HD600's. The elements / drivers are identical - just go to the Sennheiser site and check it out. Just as the so-called Cardas v2 is identical to the v1 - except for the color - straight from Cardas's mouth.

I just bought a beautiful pair of modded HD580's at a great price and replaced my HD600's - just because they looked better. The sound identical... or maybe a little better, because they look better.

So... just get the HD600 screens... a good custom cable (the Cardas is a good one with the 580/600's, or perhaps a silver one), de-veil them, and try some Walker SST - and you'll have a whole new set of phones... that sound much better without a major investment.

And... most importantly... they'll look a "hell-uv-a" lot better!

I had the HD580s for some time and just got the HD600s. Tom me they do sound as Gradofan2 described like the HD600, but with the grills. I also feel they do improve the SQ as well of the HD580. In the end I sold the HD580 and couldn't be happier with my HD600s.

Aug 13, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 27
At the time of their production the 600s were reported by Sennheiser to use improved drivers built within a 1dB tolerance compared to the 3dB tolerance on the 580s. The 600s also use metal grills and carbon fiber in the ear cup compared to plastic on the 580s; which is said to affect resonance. IMO the 600s exhibit faster and more detailed highs, better weight and detail in the bass and an overall darker presentation. The 580s are airier and have a more open soundstage. Which is better is a personal choice. I decided to sell my 600s and keep my 580s and 650s.

Aug 13, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 27
i always thought the hd580 jubilee are the hd600!

They started to produce the 600 after alot of people felt left out by the 580 jubilee, wich was a limited production run of 3000 worldwide ( if i remember well). I had both and they sounded pretty much the same. The jubilee also had hand selected within 1 db, drivers! They came even with a certificate stating hand selected drivers within 1 db and limited run number on the certificate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back