Has anyone upgraded the 580s to 600s?
Aug 10, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Agent Kang

500+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to really love my 580s with cardas v2 cable. Now I'm wondering whether I should make the move into the 600s. For those of you that have owned both sets of cans, was there indeed an improvement in SQ? Please reply if you personally have extensive experience with these two cans, meaning outside of auditioning them at meets and retailers.

THanks.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 27
Just buy the HD600 screens and replace the plastic HD580 screens - and voila... you have HD600's. The elements / drivers are identical - just go to the Sennheiser site and check it out. Just as the so-called Cardas v2 is identical to the v1 - except for the color - straight from Cardas's mouth.

I just bought a beautiful pair of modded HD580's at a great price and replaced my HD600's - just because they looked better. The sound identical... or maybe a little better, because they look better.

So... just get the HD600 screens... a good custom cable (the Cardas is a good one with the 580/600's, or perhaps a silver one), de-veil them, and try some Walker SST - and you'll have a whole new set of phones... that sound much better without a major investment.

And... most importantly... they'll look a "hell-uv-a" lot better!

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 27
Haha. THanks for the reply. I actually have the 600 screens (for cosmetic purposes) and they do look great indeed!

I had no idea that v2 is same as v1. In any case, I'm quite pleased with them.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 27
What source/amp are you feeding them with?

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 27
I believe the HD580 and HD600 use the exact same drivers. So if you upgraded the grills on the 580 to the HD600 grills, you essentially have a HD600. The other major difference is the material used to make the headband and the housing for the drivers. How much different that makes in the SQ is hard to say, at least for me.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 27
Here... check it out...

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...rtsfinder.aspx

...part number 091570 for the element / driver for both the HD580's and HD600's.

As I said... I had both of them for about a month - they sound identical with the HD600 grills/screens.

Don't waste your money - just tweek your HD580's, and perhaps try a silver cable.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 27
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but if I upgraded my hd580 cables with this, this would it be noticably better? Its the hd600 thicker cable.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 27
I tried my HD650 cable with my HD600's and could tell almost no difference. Other's say they think it improves the SQ a bit. Again... I wouldn't waste my money... or, should I say... I'd waste it on silver cables, and Walker SST.

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What source/amp are you feeding them with?

Transport: SB3
Source: Kora Hermes DAC with '62 mullard 6922s
Amp: Woo6 with phillips metalbase.

I listen mostly to classical with occasional rock/folk with female vocals. I've been using mostly k701s until the cardas came.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 27
Not trying to burst any bubbles, but...
In my own personal experience, there are differences in the sound quality of
the 600's and 580's.
I have done exhaustive comparisons between them using many different sources and amps, the 600 grills on the 580's, etc., and heres what I have found:
The 580's are a tad more forward in the upper mids than the 600's and slightly less refined. To my ears the 580's sound a touch grainier and less neutral than the 600's.
The 600's have better overall low bass extension than the 580's, a slightly better soundstage, smoother upper mids, and more top-end sparkle. The differences are especially evident using my Marantz SA8001 disc player, and my HeadAmp GS-1 amp.
These differences are very subtle, the drivers may be the same, but the sonic differences do exist, IMHO.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 27
When I was looking for my right set of classical cans back before the HD580 became such a bargain, I looked at the differences between HD580 and HD600 while wearing out my search key, and the impression I got back then was that a number of folks thought there was a difference between HD580, the Jubilees, and HD600 as well.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to burst any bubbles, but...
In my own personal experience, there are differences in the sound quality of
the 600's and 580's.
I have done exhaustive comparisons between them using many different sources and amps, the 600 grills on the 580's, etc., and heres what I have found:
The 580's are a tad more forward in the upper mids than the 600's and slightly less refined. To my ears the 580's sound a touch grainier and less neutral than the 600's.
The 600's have better overall low bass extension than the 580's, a slightly better soundstage, smoother upper mids, and more top-end sparkle. The differences are especially evident using my Marantz SA8001 disc player, and my HeadAmp GS-1 amp.
These differences are very subtle, the drivers may be the same, but the sonic differences do exist, IMHO.

From my experiences you could also find the differences you descriped in HD600s vs HD600s, Jubilee vs HD580, Jubilee vs HD600, Jubilee vs Jubilee or -like in your case- HD580 vs HD600.
If you take two random phones of that series they will sound different...

I haven't yet figuered out why (mostly because I'm not interested in) but I guess more hours are better, softer pads and lower pressure also cause different sound.

m00h

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 27
As Sennheiser will attest... the components are the same.

Such very minute / subtle variations in SQ are the result of normal variations in the component quality from identical driver / element to identical driver / element, identical cable to identical cable, etc., as well as changes in atmospheric conditions, body chemistry... and the imagination of the user - which will be noted when comparing the SQ of any two identical models of phones.

Sounds like OCB to the max!

Walker SST is:

http://www.walkeraudio.com/sst1.htm

Provides dramatic improvements in SQ for any component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back