Has anyone tried iSquint for iPods or Touch?
Oct 12, 2007 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dr.morton

500+ Head-Fier
I am waiting for my first Apple Computer a Macbook. By reading some mags and doing some research on the net I stumbled over iSquint a program supposed to convert any video file for iPod use. here is my question:
Has anyone tried this? Does it convert Xvid, all DivX versions or exotics like mkv or ogm?
I was going for the new A3 which is supposed to play almost everything but the high price, the delay and its size makes me wonder if an iPod Classic or the Touch would'nt be the better option considering the fact that the all would interact with the Macbook and iTunes. So any help is welcome before I invest my money.

Oct 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 16
I haven't used iSquint but I use Mediafork. It is free and converts nearly everything to Mpg4 which is used by Apple products. If you are using an Apple pc, I woudl go with an Apple dap like the touch or Classic. Which depends on how much storage room you want. I have an 8g Nano and I carry all my music plus 4-5 movies for travel. Unless you have an enormous audio library, the touch should work for you. Check out Mediafork and seriously consider an Apple dap. THey just work so well together.

Just my opinion!

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 16
iSquint works very fine for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Very good and fast tool.

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 16
iSquint will lead you to buy VisualHub, which I use regularly. One gigantic issue with it though is it has no support for subtitles. ;( MacTheRipper, Handbrake and VisualHub/iSquint is great to have on your dock.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

One gigantic issue with it though is it has no support for subtitles.

Is there a program which supports subtitles or better turns them into hardsubs?
I watch a lot of fansubs and some of the best come in mkv or ogm with additional subtitles.

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Unless you have an enormous audio library, the touch should work for you. Check out Mediafork and seriously consider an Apple dap. THey just work so well together.

Although I have a huge audio and video library I do not need to take it along all the time. Although I would have loved an A3 with 60GB I can live with a 16GB Touch if the conversion is quick and painless.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

I watch a lot of fansubs and some of the best come in mkv or ogm with additional subtitles.

No one to answer this out there?

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Handbrake 'burns in' the subtitles during encoding, but for a separate file I don't know which prog you should use.

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 16
my ffmpegx is broken at the moment but when i use that, i find it has more options than any other software out there. the problem is that it is harder to use and setup.

however, it does everything visualhub does and more. it does have more recurring problems but.. for the functionality and the bonus that you can use it with few restrictions before buying it, it is great.

recommend :
ffmpegx 5
visualhub 3.5

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iSquint will lead you to buy VisualHub, which I use regularly. One gigantic issue with it though is it has no support for subtitles. ;( MacTheRipper, Handbrake and VisualHub/iSquint is great to have on your dock.

I use handbrake regularly... what if any benefit does isquint have over HB? If I am understanding it correctly Handbrake does it all, while isquint just converts?

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use handbrake regularly... what if any benefit does isquint have over HB? If I am understanding it correctly Handbrake does it all, while isquint just converts?

Well Handbrake doesn't do it all, for instance it doesn't convert most formats.
wink.gif
That's why it's good to have both. I use Handbrake for DVDs and VisualHub/iSquint for everything else.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Well Handbrake doesn't do it all, for instance it doesn't convert most formats.
wink.gif
That's why it's good to have both. I use Handbrake for DVDs and VisualHub/iSquint for everything else.

OK- I see what you mean. I guess I am just interested in getting my DVDs on my ipod- other stuff is not really of interest. Thanks for the response.

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I don't regret upgrading isquint to visualhub. I haven't touched Podner or Movipod since. I have all those you have in my dock, plus FastDVD Copy for the disks that mac the ripper and handbrake cant handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back