Has anyone tried Ety's with Vinyl?? - Suddenly they are not so analytical...
Feb 16, 2007 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
It's Christmas week for me. Not only did I get a Hornet this week, but I finally got a damn phono stage for my turntable.

Technics 1210 -> Musical Fidelity X-LPS -> Emmeline Hornet-M -> ER4S

I've convinced myself now that it's only because of digital technology (or the lack of...) that gives the Ety's the reputation of being over analytical.

You can get musical richness with complete detail and accuracy out of them.
etysmile.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 6
tech 12? you be scratchin?

Haha, in all seriousness though I really want a vinyl player for my SA5000's, partly for the same reason and partly because vinyl is amazing.

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 6
humm.....sounds like I might be swayed into trying IEMs
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
I recently got a TT setup myself. My HD650s are great for my digital rig.....but I'm so used to the clarity of digital. My vinyl stuff does have some good qualities: it's got a sultry soundstage for jazz and classical guitar (though with classical, the hissing is just too distracting so that I'll probably just be hanging onto SACDs and CDs). Rock and jazz seem to be the main forte of my vinyl rig, but I feel like I need another pair of headphones for it. The 650s are doing great things for soundstage and extension: just seems too soft in the detail area. My Grado SR325i is the opposite in that it only has midrange detail on my vinyl setup. Ah....another set of headphones, or maybe a more expensive cartridge....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tech 12? you be scratchin?

Haha, in all seriousness though I really want a vinyl player for my SA5000's, partly for the same reason and partly because vinyl is amazing.

Nothing wrong with 1200's man.

Just don't do what I did the first time and use DJ cartridges and phono'ed through a DJ mixer.
Still professional gear is only one grade lower than audiophile gear.

Feb 16, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Never would have thought of it. iPod yes, PCCP yes, even full sized CD players, but the ER-4S seems so anti-vinyl in terms of functionality. Just never occurred to me to try it.

Feb 17, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 6
I am more of a vinyl nut than a headphone nut, and I have to agree with this impression. Vinyl tends to remove analytic sound from anything, especially if the pre-amplification is passable (not hard to do, fortunately). Even a "cold" IEM like an Etymotic sounds perfectly fine. The lovely harmonic distortion of vinyl (especially if tubed) helps things out too.
The things that are analytic are digital sources. CDs and other digital formats are convenient but are just not as musical - everything is harsh and seperated. Careful listening to vinyl and magnetic tape reveal a lot, sounds from instruments happen to interact with each other.
O'course, this is my subjective take, but I feel quite strongly about it.
I should also mention, just for sake of the argument I've made, that some music is definitely more suited to the digital medium, such as glitch/microsound techno and experimental stuff like Oval and Ryoji Ikeda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back