Has anyone resodered/recabled their SA5000? Need help..
Jan 24, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

How easy is it to fix the problem myself, bearing in mind that I've never used a soldering iron before?

After disassambling the cans I would bring them to small computer or electronic goods repair shop, there is normally a guy sitting with soldering iron.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How easy is it to fix the problem myself, bearing in mind that I've never used a soldering iron before?

very easy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remove the pads, there should be about 3 screws, unscrew those. it will open up pretty easily. get a cheap soldering iron and re-solder those joints, should be real easy..

Erm thats a bit generic. Any specifics?

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Erm thats a bit generic. Any specifics?

Anyone? I haven't been getting the intermittance as much in the past few days and it only happens when I move my head frequently so I might just let it slide, but I'll still like to know how to open them up if the problem gets worse.

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 43
I've been in and out of these headphones like a ferret and still haven't managed to solve my intermittance problem-in fact its even worse now. As far as I can tell, the soldering is fine which leads me to believe its the cable that is faulty.

Some points raised in this thread I can clarify:

1) There are 4 four screws required to detatch the housing, illustrated here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ghlight=sa5000
2) The pads themselves aren't removeable from the housing, as they're glued or something
3) Each of the cable ends has a red,black and green wire. The left driver has the black and green soldered whereas the right has the black and red. The unsoldered wires have been trimmed and left bare

cantsleep: did you mean that Sony glues the cable to secure them to the housing? Why don't they use ties?

I think the (perhaps only) solution is yet another recable, but I have no idea what kind of cable I should get. Suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

EDIT: actually the pads are removeable

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

I've been in and out of these headphones like a ferret and still haven't managed to solve my intermittance problem-in fact its even worse now. As far as I can tell, the soldering is fine which leads me to believe its the cable that is faulty.

Some points raised in this thread I can clarify:

1) There are 4 four screws required to detatch the housing, illustrated here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ghlight=sa5000
2) The pads themselves aren't removeable from the housing, as they're glued or something
3) Each of the cable ends has a red,black and green wire. The left driver has the black and green soldered whereas the right has the black and red. The unsoldered wires have been trimmed and left bare

cantsleep: did you mean that Sony glues the cable to secure them to the housing? Why don't they use ties?

I think the (perhaps only) solution is yet another recable, but I have no idea what kind of cable I should get. Suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

It's not the Soder its the cable.. Alex was nice enough to recable my SA5000 with stock 650 cable.. I will get it back next week.. Then I will get the SA5000 balanced when I can afford a balanced amp..

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Um who's Alex and how much did a recable cost? Did he do it for you?

Alex is a head fier here who makes his own cables. He Just charged me Shipping & handling. His cables were too expensive at the moment, so he used a pair of Stock 650 cables.. He actually contacted me via AIM.. & am very grateful.. Will get all my cabling done via Alex.. Also cheaper then Cardas.. Charges 240.00 6ft for balanced cabling..Compared to 300.00 for 5 or 10FT for cardas..

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 43
Wow ok. So how much does he sell the stock hd 650 cable for? And isn't it terminated in two-pin system? My wallet's just taken its heaviest knock and there is no way I can let myself buy $100+ cable...

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Wow ok. So how much does he sell the stock hd 650 cable for? And isn't it terminated in two-pin system? My wallet's just taken its heaviest knock and there is no way I can let myself buy $100+ cable...

You can get the stock HD-650 cable directly from Sennheiser for $11.62. Here's the link:

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=092885

Edit: Oops. Just realized that the link is to Sennheiser USA. I think the ones over there are more expensive, but you might be able to find someone here willing to ship one to you.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

I'd be willing to give you mine.. (I have a 650 stock cable that I don't use) Alex was nice enough to recable my SA5000 for basically free, so why not return the favor by helping out a fellow headfier..

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 43
Thats not even £7 (not including P & P)! So can I hack off those pins to hopefully reveal some black, green and red wires? By the way, I really appreciate the help I'm getting, thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back