Has anyone made a beginner guide?
Feb 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jkolassa

New Head-Fier
I have just started getting into the audiophile world.  I really don't know much at all other than that I like high quality audio.  I tried searching for a getting started guide but couldn't find anything.  Has anyone made something like this that I didn't find? If not would anyone be interested in making one?  What I mean by this is just an overview of pretty much everything.  Go over everything in the most complete audiophiles home setup with a description of what each component does, how necessary it is, and maybe a list of the top selling ones as of the making of your guide.  Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes there is. It's quite obviously names and placed for all to see in the forums.

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 14
Check the sticky topics on every forum..they have useful info for people new to this hobby. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 14
When you say stickies  do you mean the useful links? I did look at those before posting.  I check'd these:http://www.head-fi.org/a/glossary-of-terms, http://www.head-fi.org/a/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana , http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary.  While they are interesting that wasn't really my question.  I may use that glossary if I wanted to really get into the details of audio but not if I just want a laymans terms of what something is. Example:

Amplifier - an electronic device for increasing the amplitude of electrical signals. Normally it is the voltage that is amplified. Though primarily used to refer to headphone amplifiers that take a small audio signal from a CD player, sound card or DAC and amplify it to a level high enough for headphones or speakers. Most devices, even those that send out digital data, contain some kind of amplification circuit.

While that is interesting I have no idea what the hell it really means.  I would rather have a noob type guide where the extent of the definition of an amp is like "it gives the headphones power which makes it louder and produces sound more accurately" (I'm not even entirely sure if that is true but you get the point.)

As for the describing sound glossary that would be quite useful once I really knew what components I want to buy but not at the point where I am just trying to figure out what these things do.

The buying guide for headphones is decent but covers the one piece of equipment that I really don't feel like people would not understand.  While there seems to be a lot that needs to be considered about the headphones you buy, I also feel most confident about that.

After looking at those and then posting I dug deeper and found this and this for DAC's but I still have no idea what a DAC is.

If none of these are the "stickies" or "obviously named and placed" posts then please enlighten me on where they are because I couldn't find them.

I may have misworded what I really meant.  I am looking for a comprehensive, easy to understand, beginners guide to a complete audiophile setup.  Something that tells me what each component does and if it is necessary for someone brand new with limited money.  Maybe some suggestions about different brands and what genre they are known for. Simplistic!

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you for that link.   I read a headphone amp and a DAC. It was interesting and , for the most part, easy to understand.  A little of it was over my head but I got the gist of it.  This might sound really dumb but I just want to visualize it correctly before I spend money on anything.  How does this all go together? If I have music coming out of my computer and I have a DAC, an amp, and headphones. What would it come from? the headphone jack of the computer or usb? I have an onkyo htr580 reciever something like this. Is it an amplifier?

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Thank you for that link.   I read a headphone amp and a DAC. It was interesting and , for the most part, easy to understand.  A little of it was over my head but I got the gist of it.  This might sound really dumb but I just want to visualize it correctly before I spend money on anything.  How does this all go together? If I have music coming out of my computer and I have a DAC, an amp, and headphones. What would it come from? the headphone jack of the computer or usb? I have an onkyo htr580 reciever something like this. Is it an amplifier?

The purpose of a DAC is to turn a digital signal (USB/SPDIF) into an analog signal. So if you wanted to play music from a computer it'd look like this:

Computer --> USB cable --> DAC --> interconnect cable --> headphone amp --> headphones

While your Onkyo is technically an amp, it won't give you the performance that these dedicated setups will.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 14
It's definitely hard if you have absolutely zero knowledge. Some of the glossary terms were edited to be technically correct but are indeed not very helpful.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 14
Ok that is very helpful gimp. Thank you. I have been looking into a quality pair of headphones and found out my university was selling grado sr225i's for 100 dollars so I jumped on that.  But while I was researching I came across the fact that different headphones are better suited for different genres.  I had heard that the grados were not particularly good with electronic dance music and rap which are some of my favorite genres instead they are great for rock music.  I still got them because of the good price but I was wondering if this is something that is true with the components as well?

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Ok that is very helpful gimp. Thank you. I have been looking into a quality pair of headphones and found out my university was selling grado sr225i's for 100 dollars so I jumped on that.  But while I was researching I came across the fact that different headphones are better suited for different genres.  I had heard that the grados were not particularly good with electronic dance music and rap which are some of my favorite genres instead they are great for rock music.  I still got them because of the good price but I was wondering if this is something that is true with the components as well?

not as much. the components are more dependent on your headphones, most people don't take genres into account when purchasing components since they usually try and get components that will have good synergy with the headphones.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
SR225i's for $100?  You better start buying a bunch to sell on the FS section!  Make some money!

+1

wow thats a steal at 100 bucks lol, i would pick up a pair for myself just to have an extra set of portables.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 14
@Dubstep girl They aren't that portable really cause they are open ear. I only use them as an at home headphone.  But yeah they were a steal and I love them.  I have some sennheiser hd 202's that I use for portable.  Also, dubstep girl is who I would def want to ask about what your favorite headphones are! Definitely my favorite genre.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #14 of 14
Most of the differences between headphones have to do with how strong the bass, mids and treble are in relation to each other and how that presents different types of music. Likewise, different types of music have stronger or weaker bass, mids and treble. That's about 80% of audio for you -- seriously! Even how loud you listen affects the balance of these things due to the way sound waves travel close to our ears.

Grados, usefully, sound pretty good even out of an iPod. 

ohhgourami: About that selling suggestion: No. Your rear-end would meet the toe of my boots. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back