Has anyone heard the new shuffle 1 GB?
Dec 30, 2006 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking of replacing my portable minidisc with the new Apple 1 GB iPod Shuffle Metal (2nd Generation) Has anyone heard it yet? Does anyone know the power M/W out put on it. Will it sound better than my minidisc that has a power out put of only 5 M/W.

I looked at it today at Bestbuys and wow is it really small almost like the size of a quarter and so very very light. It was so cool looking that I almost bought it on the spot. LOL. It cost about 70 or 80 bucks.

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 22
I got one for Christmas. The form factor is awesome - much better then the G1 Shuffle IMO. I've been comaring it to a G1 512MB Shuffle and have come to the following conclusions:

* The background hiss problem that people have been complaining about is definitely there with low impedence cans on the 2G. It's very noticable with my Ety ER-4P but not detectable at all with my K81DJ or KSC75.

* The sound is more robust and punchy than the G1 Shuffle, but the G1 has more space and sense of air. It's a tossup as to which I prefer. We're talking minor differences here.

* The design of the G2 Shuffle is its best feature IMO. The size is great, the clip is great, the switches are great, the aluminum shell is great. If, like me, you're looking for a good player for activities like cycling, hiking, or excercising then the G2 Shuffle is da bomb.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 22
I also got one for Christmas. I use it with Sennheisser MX-500s. I wanted it for walking around and the "ocassional" exercising. Sounds very, good to me. I love the clip design.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 22
Does anyone know if the CREATIVE LABS ZEN V 2GB MP3 PLAYER W/1.5" OLED DISPLAY would sound better than the shuffle?

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 22
I got a Shuffle for xmas too. It is powerful enough to drive my K701 unamped to reasonable volumes. On my ER6i, I hear a background hiss though - the noise floor isn't great. Also, it seems to take longer than my wife's ipod video to sync songs.

But on the upside, it's small size is very cool
smily_headphones1.gif
Great for the gym - no need for stupid arm bands etc.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On my ER6i, I hear a background hiss though - the noise floor isn't great. .

I forgot to mention I also have the ER6is. When do you hear the "hiss"?

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 22
The form factor is outstanding. The SQ is pretty good I think. The hiss is annoying but a fair trade off for the usefulness of the little thing. It would kick some serious ass if the hiss issue was resolved, but somehow I doubt it will ever be addressed.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

inbetween tracks and when paused.

definitely as uber-portable as you can get. i do love it, but i dont regret selling it either.
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hear the hiss once I turn it on (don't play any music). It's not intrusive - if I didn't have the noise isolating ER6i, I may not have detected it. Once music is playing, it's unlikely you'll still be aware of the hiss.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the CREATIVE LABS ZEN V 2GB MP3 PLAYER W/1.5" OLED DISPLAY would sound better than the shuffle?

Yes, yes.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #12 of 22
I got one for Xmas, as well. I agree with all that was said above (hiss problem with IEM's, SQ not quite up to par with the older + bigger Shuffle, great & cool design). Definitely a keeper for ultra-portability!!! zD
etysmile.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 22
3X0
HI: Can you explain more on your post please. I can get the shuffle for about 80.00 and the zen v for about 127.00. That is about a 50.00 difference. I did think the zen looked very cool as well as the super small shuffle. I think the power out put of the zen v is 30 M/W per channel.

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was so cool looking that I almost bought it on the spot. LOL. It cost about 70 or 80 bucks.

Heh, that's just what my friend did. He showed it to me today, and it does look rather cool. He says he just bought it on the spot without doing any kind of research or anything because of how it looks.

Also interesting is that the headphone jack seems like it acts like the headphone out, the port to connect to the computer, and the charger port all at once.

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 22
I gave one as a present to the other half. They love it. But for me, I'm not a fan. With CX300's the hiss is very bad. With PMX100's I can't hear any hiss. But for me regardless of headphones the SQ of the 1G Shuffle was far better. I also don't like that you need a dock, too fussy and I'd never wear it clipped on, so for me the old form factor was much better. I find a USB stick much more useful anyway. Means you can charge it anywhere you can find a USB port, with the new one you need the dock with you. Not everyone would care about that though. I haven't heard the Zen V but I have no doubt it sounds better, based on other creative players I've owned in the past. It has much better features and it still a very small unit. Regardless the 2G shuffle is still a cool fun gadget. Maybe in a noisy enviroment like a gym etc, the SQ wouldn't be an issue.

BTW. Is it just me or does anyone think the headphone jack on the 2G Shuffle is on the wrong side? I always seem to be holding it upside down when I pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back