Has anyone heard the latest Final Audio IEM?
Jun 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
I was in Jaben-HK and saw these dynamic iem phones from Final Audio but they are not willing to let me demo them?  So I want to know if anyone has heard them.  They cost around $3,000.00 for the top models.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 27
What, seriously?  $3000?  Not sure if they're just ripping us off here or if they're using some sort of exotic technology that simply costs that much to produce.  That or they used something like flawless diamonds in the construction somewhere.  Seems to me that FA is really just one of those elitist audiophile "boutique" companies...I can't imagine these would be worth anywhere near that much.

But what do I know.  Maybe these will sound better than the best speaker setup out there.  But you'd think we'd have heard of them then.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 27
Well, they use dynamic driver like the ones they use in speakers.  Almost all iems today are made with armature drives.  They only have one driver for hte full range with no crossover.  The shape?  it is like somebody blowing a horn into your ears.  Very interesting.  
Furthermore, they have three models in their top lines costing $1000, $2000, and $3000 each with the only difference being the metal that make up the casing, Copper, brass and forgot the last one.

The following is from a review from Engadget, enjoy.

""Behold Final Audio Design's latest high-end earphones: the Piano Forte X-VII Series. Each of the four models that comprise the series features a large neodymium magnet driver, nestled inside a rigid metal housing made of alloy powder and natural resin, designed to minimize bad vibrations. The driver is a hefty 16 mm in diameter, and boasts roughly three times the surface area of your garden variety earphones, resulting in enhanced low frequency soundscapes. Final Audio Design also added a proprietary pressure ring to each model's diaphragm (to ward off sound artifacts), as well as special pressure vents (to optimize air pressure around the diaphragm). Internal air pressure, on the other hand, is kept in check thanks to the X-VIII Series' metallic earpads, which allegedly allow your ear to naturally adjust to any barometric shifts. Each of the four models comes in a unique metallic housing, reportedly capable of delivering different audio blends. But they all share one important characteristic -- they'rereally expensive. At the high end of the price spectrum are the X-G and X-CC models, which will put you back some ¥220,000 ($2,668). Bargain hunters, meanwhile, will have to settle for the VIII, priced at a slightly less obscene ¥80,000 ($970). Granted, these earphones may very well warrant that kind of cash and scientific hyperbole, though it's certainly difficult to gauge their value without taking them out for a spin ourselves.

piano-forte-x-viii-3.jpg

Additional pics with model for your enjoyment: http://www.gizmag.com/final-audio-design-launches-premium-piano-forte-earphones/18437/

pianoforte-1.jpg

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 27
Well, there are a lot of low-end and high-end IEMs that use dynamic drivers these days.  The Monster Turbines, for example, and the FX700.  High-end dynamics aren't exactly unheard of...but that price is.  No IEMs have ever cost that much before...even the most high-end customs cost near the amount the lowest end earphone in that series does.

That cable doesn't exactly inspire confidence either...hard metal with no strain relief and that noodle thin cable?  I dunno...still, I'd like to hear how these sound too.  Guess we're just gonna have to wait for any impressions by anyone who's heard them.  Maybe they really do sound better than anything out there today.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 27
I think Neodymium magnet is the key.  You need to go and find some of these stuff to play around.  They ain't your grandma magnet and is 90% found in China.  The magnetic force is so strong that most people have to go to Gold Gym for two months to pull two small pieces apart.  I have some in my drawer and I am afraid to put them near any computer or ipod or cell phone.  It will wipe most magnetic memory (like a diskdrive) clean in an instant.  A lot of the advance drivers (headphone or speaker) use them for fast and precise action and frequency production.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
I think Neodymium magnet is the key.  You need to go and find some of these stuff to play around.  They ain't your grandma magnet and is 90% found in China.  The magnetic force is so strong that most people have to go to Gold Gym for two months to pull two small pieces apart.  I have some in my drawer and I am afraid to put them near any computer or ipod or cell phone.  It will wipe most magnetic memory (like a diskdrive) clean in an instant.  A lot of the advance drivers (headphone or speaker) use them for fast and precise action and frequency production.

All of that may be true, but neodymium magnets are used in nearly every single dynamic driver IEM today.  Again - it's nothing really special.  At any rate, neodymium magnets aren't really worth that much...you can go out and buy them really cheaply.

Still, not saying these IEMs won't end up sounding great.  Just wondering if it's really worth the jacked up price tag.  I would definitely be interested to hear from someone who's heard them, as much as you are.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 27
That sucks they won't let you demo them, especially at that price; it's almost absurd.  

There was one guy who had a chance to demo them at a headphone festival in this post: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553804/headphone-festival-2011-in-tokyo-may-7th-2011-photos-bandwidth-warning

There's some mystery shrouding how they're supposed to be worn. I got the impression that he never got past that point, and so he couldn't really comment on how they sounded, when he had them right before his eyes and in his hands, with the opportunity to listen to them.

I have a feeling these phones and any critique will remain elusive for a long while, not only b/c of the $ ,but b/c of the fit.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 27
There's a good chance that these may use similar (or even the same) drivers as Final Audio's earlier 1601 models, which caused a minor stir a while ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/467302/review-final-audio-design-fi-dc1601ss-inner-earphone-cold-steel
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/458719/wow-the-final-audio-design-fi-dc1601sb-also-known-as-don-t-go-to-yodobashi-lol
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/473263/final-audio-design-fi-dc1601sb-review-or-rather-incoherent-ramblings

I emailed FAD, asking about the difference between the new 1602 and 1601 series, and got this reply:
"In answer to your question, yes, the 1602  roughly as mid-centric as the 1601...but as we integrated the structure of horn speakers into 1602, it produce more dense sound than 1601."

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 27
James, thanks for digging up those links. I did audition the top model of the 1601 but wasn't able to hear the new Piano line. They are simply very beautiful and has a luxurious feel to it. Judging from the 1601 (old model), the sound it very diffent from my JH13. Hope someone can chime in.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 27
As it happens, I own the 1601SB and am currently evaluating a JH13 demo unit. Extremely different sound, the FADs are mid-centric, colored, airy with huge soundstage. The JH13 are pretty flat with just a tad of mid-bass warmth, much more neutral, but less airy and rather confined in comparison. The JH13 sound great with all kinds of music, the FADs only with some, but when they do they can blow you away. Absolute niche phones, if you ask me, still I love to have them in my collection.

I was wondering whether the 1602 would be worth considering, that's why I emailed FAD. Don't know what to make of their reply though, tbo.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #11 of 27
I don't know if it applies here James, but the Audio Technica CK90 Pros that I have with the 'acoustic horn' opening into the ear are supposedly darker ('thicker?') and bassier than their cousins the CK10's. All I can say, not having the Ck10's myself is that the horn speaker design does seem to aid efficiency. The 90 pros are detailed and to my ears have even lower bass extension and more linearity than my SM3's.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 27
Hi I live in S'pore and i have listened to the new Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX also known to be FI-DC1602SS, the earphone sound very different from IEMs and headphones....it is just like u are listening to a speakers that is place near to u.....the soundstage is amazing wide and vocal is clear like crystal, and if u go back and listen to shure 535 it will sound muddy....tried also with the JH16 pro...JH16 pro is great but it still got that in ear's sound...so this is a unique piece of earphone with a sound like a earphone and a speaker in between......it has a bright signature and treble that makes piano and violin's sound realistic...but the only down side is the bass is weak...

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Hi I live in S'pore and i have listened to the new Final Audio Design Piano Forte IX also known to be FI-DC1602SS, the earphone sound very different from IEMs and headphones....it is just like u are listening to a speakers that is place near to u.....the soundstage is amazing wide and vocal is clear like crystal, and if u go back and listen to shure 535 it will sound muddy....tried also with the JH16 pro...JH16 pro is great but it still got that in ear's sound...so this is a unique piece of earphone with a sound like a earphone and a speaker in between......it has a bright signature and treble that makes piano and violin's sound realistic...but the only down side is the bass is weak...

Fantastic!

Where did you demo the Piano Forte IX / FI-DC1602SS?

I can sympathize with what you hear that the SE535 is the opposite of crystal.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 27

Quote:

Fantastic!

Where did you demo the Piano Forte IX / FI-DC1602SS?

I can sympathize with what you hear that the SE535 is the opposite of crystal.

I demo it in Jaben....Yup i was shocked to hear the sound of it and it really does make the shure 535's vocal sound muddy........female vocal by the Piano Forte IX sound really great like it will draw u in those kind but male vocal is so and so.......anyway i gonna save up and get one of those.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back