Has anyone heard of Periapt cables?
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #121 of 121
So, I've had one Periapt cable now for a few years - A dual 3.5mm to XLR for a Focal Elex (now used with a Focal Clear Pro). An XLR-> SE Adaptor was also part of the order.
When it arrived I thought the headphone connectors were messed up as they are all twisted; I assume now that's just how they're made but at the time it was offputting.
I never really thought much of the cables; they're sturdy and hold their form which is nice, but I went on with my life nonetheless.
Lately I've been tossing up upgrading from a THX 789 to a Burson Soloist 3XP; before I wrote the 789 off I decided to remove the SE adaptor and try the balanced output. Lo and behold, the 789 became a much more enjoyable amp!
So much so that I have resolved to test run all my headphones on the 789's balanced output before upgrading to another amp.

I then started researching cable brands, going back and forth on Hart Audio and Periapt. While pondering, I tried out the Focal Elex's XLR cable, and switched back to the Periapt. Then back to the Focal. Then the Periapt. And stayed there. The sound from the Periapt is less veiled, wider, and more resolving than Focal's own cable.
Much of my amazement with the 789 is due to the damn cable! It seems to 'get out of the way' of the signal, so to speak.
So I'll be going ahead with ordering 4 more Periapt headphone cables soon. Other cable makers may be more customisable (and I may try a few longer runs of those in the future) but I know what sounds good and it's Periapt. If only they had a low profile Y-splitter....

Have come back to my Periapt mini-XLR balanced cable today with the HEDDphone - it strikes a good balance compared to the stock LCD-X cable and the much more expensive Eletech Inferno. The Periapt is faster and more palpable than the stock LCD-X unbalanced cable, but not as warm as the Eletech inferno.
The Periapt has a nice low-end presence and what sounds like a bit of a bite in the upper-midrange, with slightly relaxed upper treble. It also throws a wider stage than the stock LCD-X cable. I mention the LCD-X cable but the listening has been performed on the HEDDPhone.

Since upgrading the rest of my chain (QED Toslink cable, clean interconnects etc, 1421 DAC straight to A90D) I no longer feel the Periapt is quite so muddy (at least with the HEDDphone) - it's not perfectly flat and I do find myself missing the very top end of detail. I don't like the Periapt interconnect that much, but the headphone cable is not bad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back