Has anyone ever read this book?
Nov 2, 2001 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook
by John Borwick

EeKf7u4pgqyZbVHKDb1KdTpMdVidlUtZEiB+JcXo=

Nov 2, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 10
I asked the same thing about the same book a month or three ago. I've browsed through it - but only the headphone chapter - which is in the back. I got the impression that the 'phones chapter was written by somebody from the Phillips lab. There's lots of theory about closed/open dynamics, those goofy human hearing response curves, why people "think" they "need" 12db or so of bass exageration, etc...

There's a copy at the local Radio Shack .Com store near my abode. It is marked down 75 per cent or so when compared to the Amazon.com price. It has also been handled a bit by some idiot who wrinkled the spine. No, not me! Either way, information within is still intact.

If anybody wants me to pick it up, e-mail me!

Nov 2, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 10
"It sounds so much more open this way - like the walls have been cut out....."

biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Have you ever been in a room like that? Just having a simple conversation with somebody is a weird experience. One of my brothers had an anechoic chamber like that where he used to work. They called it the "dead room".

While speakers sound awful in an environment like that, it is the only way to measure what they REALLY do.

Nov 3, 2001 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by rohorn
Have you ever been in a room like that? Just having a simple conversation with somebody is a weird experience.

Yes, I've been in one used to test NVH. The weirdest thing about them is that you have to speak right at the person you're in there with. If you don't, the almost total lack of reflections makes your voice much less audible with even a slight turn of your head. I also felt like my ears were stuffed up because there was absolutely no reflected noise, and no ambient noise from outside coming in. Pretty wild.

Nov 3, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Cool. I don't suppose rooms like these are open to the general public?

Nov 3, 2001 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 10
If you want, try going to your local University. Most good engineering colleges have at least one of these. They're really good for studying, if you like quiet places
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2001 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 10
If you can't locate an anechoic chamber you could try this sometime:

Take a bass reflex or acoustic suspension speaker cabinet that is lined real well with polyfill or insulation, pull out one of the drivers and cup your hand over one ear and put the other ear into the driver cutout.

It will feel like you eardrum is getting sucked out because of the lack of background noise that we are used to hearing 24/7.

It's uncomfortable and almost made me nauseous or disoriented in a way the first time I tried it. Maybe it's better to leave the driver installed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back