Has anyone eventually downgraded their system after reaching the 'top'?
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #16 of 19
No way back for me, getting too dam close

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 19
Well there is of course cheap musical and expensive analytical. Then there is that fine balance of musical and analytical satisfaction.

At times money spent has no rhyme or reason when it’s simply finding a member’s favorite tone which matches the music genre.

And with the above concepts in mind, sure there are systems which cost less and are easy to listen to. But too........ there could be a concept of curiosity which propels the bank expenditure to high levels just to know what’s there! No overachiever member can see the top of the mountain until he has climbed it. The curiosity is what the heck IS up there?

If music brings pleasure, better quality music must bring better pleasure? Then there is the value of finding that then doing a monetary value. Is it really worth it when you find endgame?

Of course there is the rabid consumers which buy it all too, regardless of sound quality goals. Some of that is based on curiosity too.

The slope is slippery and the diminishing returns start right away. Of course when you run out of money then this whole discussion is pointless.

A true Head-Fi enthusiast is all about the hobby and the hobby has different price points. There is nothing wrong with having top tier and medium tier systems together at the same time. If anything the mid-Fi stuff is going to show you how good your good stuff is.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #19 of 19
The Focal Elear and Elex are said to be a more direct upgrade to the HD 650. "Like the HD 650 but only better" they say, but I have only used the Utopia as far as Focal goes.

The Stax SR-007 is the ultimate HD 650 like headphone in my opinion. And with a good enough amp it far surpasses all non electrostatic headphones to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back