Has anyone else had their muscial horizons "expanded" by Head-fi?
Feb 2, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #17 of 36
I've gotten deeper into the genres I love, but have also been loving electronica more and more. Probably 90% of what I have was recommended here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #19 of 36
I've gotten into Radiohead and The Flaming Lips since being here. I had always known a few of their hit singles but nothing more, but I read a few members talking about them and ended up with just about all of their cd's.

Feb 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek800 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotten into Radiohead and The Flaming Lips since being here. I had always known a few of their hit singles but nothing more, but I read a few members talking about them and ended up with just about all of their cd's.

Can't believe I've forgotten about Radiohead! I decided to give Kid A a shot after reading positive comments about it, and whoa! I have since purchased and enjoyed OK Computer and also "re-discovered" The Bends (my sister had this album and I listened to it maybe a few times). I have to say, Kid A takes the cake, and OK Computer is also very good.

Up next: Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 36
Stuff I've bought because I read about them here.
Impasse
Bach's Cello concertos
Portishead
Mezzanine
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
Carbon Based Lifeform

I'm sure other stuff too.

I like music. It's why I'm here.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, it was the Cowboy Junkies. I had heard of them, but never given them a serious try before. A few Head-fiers had expressed that they were impressed with the dynamic range and quality offered in their recordings, and one "supremus", I can't remember which, said that Lay it Down was a favorite reference recording. So I purchased a copy of Lay it Down, and now have a few more of their recordings, and a few more than that on the way. Lay it Down is one of favorite my go-to recordings as well now, and I have become a fan of the Cowboy Junkies.

So I can't believe my experiencee here has been unique; I have always liked rock 'n roll, got into world music in college, and I enjoy blues, jazz, classical, reggae, jam, bluegrass and even some hip-hop as well.

So who else found a new "diamond in the rough", listening content-wise?

This thread alone has worked for me
wink.gif

Cowboy junkies, had never heard of them before. lay it down is a bit special.

Thanks for that
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stuff I've bought because I read about them here.
Impasse
Bach's Cello concertos
Portishead
Mezzanine
Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue
Carbon Based Lifeform

I'm sure other stuff too.

I like music. It's why I'm here.

Are you referring to J.S. Bach, or one of his sons? J.C. Bach and C.P.E. Bach both wrote Concertos for Cello, but J.S. "Bach" only wrote suites for unaccompanied Cello. I only say this because using "Bach" usually refers to "J.S. Bach," and I'm confused by who you've been enjoying!
smily_headphones1.gif
As for me, I enjoy C.P.E. Bach's Cello Concerto in A. Lovely piece! Check it out on Harmonia Mundi (with soloist Alison McGillivray). J.S. Bach's First, Third and Fifth Cello Suites (especially with Yo-Yo Ma or Pablo Casals) are exquisite..

I think I need to check out Portishead. I've been putting that off for a looong time.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #24 of 36
Remember the old days when you had to keep deleting stuff off your hard drive to save anything new?

I'm kinda that way now with music. I only have a certain amount of time to listen to music, and there's more of it out there now than I have time to listen too. Something has to go. Everytime I start listening to music I picked up from Head-Fi suggestions like Thievery Corporation or Fever Ray or Patty Griffin, something isn't going to get listened to. Truthfully, the victim is more and more becoming Metal. I'm not playing many songs lately with death or disease in the title of the song or band.

So, yes my musical horizons have been expanded, but at the same time they have been contracted in others. I guess you could say I'm getting musical stretchmarks.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember the old days when you had to keep deleting stuff off your hard drive to save anything new?

I'm kinda that way now with music. I only have a certain amount of time to listen to music, and there's more of it out there now than I have time to listen too. Something has to go. Everytime I start listening to music I picked up from Head-Fi suggestions like Thievery Corporation or Fever Ray or Patty Griffin, something isn't going to get listened to. Truthfully, the victim is more and more becoming Metal. I'm not playing many songs lately with death or disease in the title of the song or band.

So, yes my musical horizons have been expanded, but at the same time they have been contracted in others. I guess you could say I'm getting musical stretchmarks.

I get that, but I have a hard time getting rid of anything that ever gave me auditory enjoyment, because you never know what you might dig up for a listen someday. I am currently enjoying a recording that I haven't listened to for a decade at least and maybe two, "All Things Must Pass", by George Harrison.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #26 of 36
I would find it very hard to believe anyone who has been on head-fi for a reasonable length of time would not have had their musical horizons expanded. I haven't been here as long as some others but I would have never picked up jazz if not for head-fi and possibly classical (picking that up now) in the future.

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you referring to J.S. Bach, or one of his sons? J.C. Bach and C.P.E. Bach both wrote Concertos for Cello, but J.S. "Bach" only wrote suites for unaccompanied Cello. I only say this because using "Bach" usually refers to "J.S. Bach," and I'm confused by who you've been enjoying!
smily_headphones1.gif
As for me, I enjoy C.P.E. Bach's Cello Concerto in A. Lovely piece! Check it out on Harmonia Mundi (with soloist Alison McGillivray). J.S. Bach's First, Third and Fifth Cello Suites (especially with Yo-Yo Ma or Pablo Casals) are exquisite..

I think I need to check out Portishead. I've been putting that off for a looong time.

I was not aware there was any other Bach's. So, it would be J.S. I might give some of the others ones a try.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just took the "Portishead plunge" for the first time a minute ago, with a used CD order on Amazon Marketplace of their self-titled 2007 album. Have no idea, seems like it may be a new genre for me but for $3 plus mailing why not
popcorn.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #29 of 36
Absolutely. I had almost no real knowledge of symphonic goth metal before head-fi, and now I listen to it regularly. Epica, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Leaves Eyes, Theater of Tragedy, Sirenia, Delain, Lacuna Coil, After Forever, Tristania - I had never heard of any of these bands. Now I really dig all of them.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #30 of 36
Katatonia - thanks for that one dudes, seriously.

Other than that I'm just shocked other people listen to actual music (most of my friend still listens to Frampton - slight irony alert).

port 119 FTW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back