Has anyone done a Zip Line before?
Jan 30, 2006 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
My wife and I are going to Maui in a few weeks and thought this zip line adventure thing looked like something fun and different. I am a confessed adrenaline junkie and I know this is nothing compared to Bungie or Skydiving but still looks fun.

Has anyone that has done these before comment on if they are any fun?

http://www.skylinehawaii.com/book_online.asp#

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 13
I have and it's a blast. I did it over water but even so the top was 55 feet up, a long ways! You just let go whenever you feel like it but you could blast into the water still hanging on, then fill your nose full of water as the drag from your feet propelled you towards a face plant in the lake.

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 13
Depending on the zipline it can be a riot...some are rigged to be slow b/c of insurance, but a good fast zipline into water is a blast.

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 13
It is an absolute blast, I got the opportunity to do it in Costa Rica (through a section of rainforest), and it was a very cool experience. For a real treat, do a zipline upside down. I highly recommend this to anyone who has the opportunity.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 13
Definitely do go and book a reservation. I haven't personally done the Maui skyline tour but have good friends that did and all of them me tell it's well worth the money. On the tour you get to see the Haleakala forest reserve on Maui that is not accessible by foot path or vehicle. It like taking a hike in a undisturbed forest reserve in mid air and being able to see the many rare and endangered plants and birds that make theIr home there, Eco-Tourism at one of it's finest.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 13
I think all of you thought of the same zipline I first did when I heard the word. The type you used at camp and such to go from a high point in to a lake or other body of water.

If you take a look at the link he provided this is a completely different type of zipline adventure. This is the kind you see on Discovery Channel and such where they are going from treetop to treetop checking out wildlife and scenery. Similar but not quite the same thing.

Wakeride...I think you two would have a great time doing something like this. Especially considering the description says it's done around a volcano. I imagine that would be a very unique experience.

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 13
I was leaning towards it but just wanted to make sure it wasn't sonething that looked fun but people ended up complaining about.

This one looks to be a pretty good value at about $70 and the whole tour lasting 2hrs with a total of 5 zip linesm the last and largest being over 700ft long and well over 100ft high. No water to land on for any of them F1GTR is right about that, this is the type you'd see on Discovery HD or Amazing Race, etc. I'm not sure on the speed but the faster the better
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 13
Oh you'll go pretty fast on some of them zip lines alright but nothing dangerous or anything like that. There will be tour operators on the landing platforms of each zip line to help you to land safely. The idea is to go into this tour as more than just some thrill ride, view it as more of a hiking excursion by air.

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Oh you'll go pretty fast on some of them zip lines alright but nothing dangerous or anything like that. There will be tour operators on the landing platforms of each zip line to help you to land safely. The idea is to go into this tour as more than just some thrill ride, view it as more of a hiking excursion by air.

I'm hoping there will be a good balance of both. When I get on the zip line I'd like a bit of a rush and when I'm off I'd like the time to appreciate the scenery. I've been to the top of Haleakala before to watch the sun rise but this would be a first and my wife has no been to Hawaii since she was 2 so I want to make sure she gets to taste the different flavors of the island!

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Check the link below for two streaming videos of the Skyline Eco tour on Maui along with other Skyline Eco tours on Kauai and Alaska:

http://www.zipdesigns.org/sample.html

Those look pretty kewl... not as fast as I would like but worth doing for sure

Jan 31, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 13
I got to do this at freshman camp and it was AWESOME. You get to go really fast plus depending what kind of place you go to the one I got to go on let you spin which was pretty cool.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back