Has anyone done a Shure E2 VS E3 comparison
Apr 7, 2004 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to replace my lost Shure E2s and I'm wondering if the E3s are worth double the price. Has anyone done a comparison here at Head-fi -- I can't find a review with the search fuction.

Apr 7, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 13
Actually I was about to post almost the same question. I just got the e2c from HeadRoom, and though they sound just OK to me (yes, I'm positive I got a good seal), I was wondering if I should take them up on the 30-day return policy and upgrade to the e3's.

I think the e2's are good...but not exciting at all in the mids and highs. I like to listen flat out of my ipod, hate using the EQ's.

I'm spoiled by the KSC-35's and MDR-7506's, but need isolation and portability for the subway. I also can't see spending $400-500 (so please keep the e5 out of the discussion) when that's almost what I spent on the damn ipod!

Can someone make an argument to upgrade to the e3 or stay with the e2?

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 13
I am currently using the e2s.. to me i am very satisfied with all the high, mids and bass....

the problem i am having with the e2s are that i find the vocals are a bit muffled..... i actually feel the same way about my koss 35....

as i am only using my palm for my portable usage "blush" wat i did is just adjust the eq (i think i adjusted the 4hz eq) and voila .. its heaven to me.....

Apr 7, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 13
I've heard both, never had them both at the same time to compare 'em. My personal opinion is the E3's are indeed worth the extra cash over the E2's...then again I'm also of the opinion that the E5's (at Microphonesolutions price) are worth the extra cash over the E3's soo....best thing to do is find a place with a good return policy (most places that carry the shures allow u 30 days) and give them a try yourself

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 13
For your reference, the price of E5's are ~USD 370 nowadays.

Also, if you're going to consider the E3C's, you seriously might want to think about the ER4p, because the price difference is not serious. (maybe USD 40) However, if you can find E3c's at USD130-140 (there have been reports of this) they might be your best bet.

Tell us what other headphones you have, and what you like about them. If it's none - well - i really dont' know. I can tell you that it's most unlikely that the E3c's sound twice as good as the E2c's.

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 13
this whole "twice as good" thing is something i've never really understood

so if i listen to my music with my e2's and i'm enjoyin it and it's all great

and then I swap in the e3's, will my life change and all of a sudden the music will be twice as good?

or maybe, it's just that the e3's (made by the same company as the e2's) are made a little better, and are engineered to sound better...period.

i'm all for demo-ing stuff but i think it's safe to say that the e3's are better.

how much better? I think it's pretty damn relative.
for me, the e2's are 2.86x better than my ipod buds.

Apr 7, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 13
The Shure E3/E3C is comparable product to the Etymotic ER-6 in terms of sound characteristic and product class. The Etymotic ER4 is better than the E3 and ER6 IMHO.

Having said this, the Shure E2 is a different product and pretty much stands alone. It does not sound like the E3 and they pretty much deliver sound in the areas where the E3 falls short.

The E2 lacks in highs, but it delivers in bass. The mids are warm and clear. The E3 lacks in bass, but delivers a strong mid and highs and clarity.

Search Head-fi for reviews comparing the E2 and ER6. Best thing you can do is to listen to both, E2 and E3 at Guitar Center and make your decision as to which one fits your sonic requirements.

I feel the E2 sounds good and it is built very well.

Apr 7, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Funny you should mention this:

I'm getting some completely non-audiophile iPod-owning friends of mine to do an E2 vs E3 comparison. I should have results in a couple of weeks.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 13
I got the E2c for my iHP120 and I am pleased with them and I listen mostly to classical and jazz.
I don't use these phones that much to justify the extra expense of the E3s, but there is one issue with the E2c that I hadn't realized before buying: in order to get the best seal/confort I am using the disposable foam sleeves. This means periodically buying spares. The E3s are suposed to have diferent flex sleeves that are more confortable than the E2s, so it might pay off because of the running costs!

Apr 7, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 13
I actually prefer the e2s I have now over the E3s I tried a couple of months ago. The highs were a lot better and the bass was tighter on the e3s but the voices were so muffled it was just too distracting for me to enjoy the music. The e2s have more bass (not better but more) and the vocals aren't nearly as muffled. The highs are somewhat harsh but I can live with that better than muffled vocals and a +$80 pricetag.

Apr 8, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 13
I've owned the e2 for 8 months - constant companion to my iPod and loved them. I recently upgraded to the e3s. There are a number of threads with e2 vs e3 impressions by users. Just search on my nick with search terms 'e2 AND e3' and half a dozen will be returned like these:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=e3+AND+e2

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...2&pagenumber=2

My impresssions of e2 vs e3:
I find the E3 to be better in just about all respects. Fit better with new soft flex sleeves, sound better in terms of better resolution and clarity, better extension on the high end and tighter bass. You also have the option of using the tri-flange from Shure or from Ety as they both fit the E3. Ety tri-flange has a shorter shaft and I find that it takes some of the sibilance out of the highs that are present with the soft grey flex sleeves. I have not tried the Shure tri-flange. I mainly use the ety tri-flange and the soft grey sleeve which I find to be the most comfortable but not necessarily the best sonically. I like the foamies but hate the idea of replacing them or having to roll them to insert - pita.

I found the e2 closer to the ksc35 sound in terms of bass though they did offer a bit less clarity. Overall E2 are very good match for iPod and offer decent bass. The E3 have tighter bass but less punch than E2 and offer a bit better extension in the high end and overall better resolution and clarity - depends on what you are looking for in your headphone experience. I like fun, warm cans rather than boring and analytical cans. I like the bias both the E2 and E3 impart to music and don't really enjoy very analytical cans though the E3 move you closer toward the analytical due to the better clarity and resolution they offer. I never found the vocals to be muddy or muffled with the E3 but perhaps my perception simply differs from others here.

The clear flex sleeves never really gave me a good fit nor did I find them very comfortable - one of the main reasons I moved up from E2 to E3 though I did perform a sleeve mod on the E2 to use a Sony mdr-nc11 sleeve (same or similar sleeve to the EX70/71 I believe) and this is comfortable. These sony sleeves are very similar to the soft grey flex sleeves that come with the E3.

Sometimes I miss the bass punch of my E2 but overall I prefer the E3 as I wanted better clarity and resolution and comparing them side by side there is a noticeable difference.

Are the E3 twice as good as the E2? That's a trick question. I don't believe that you can make such a comparison in those terms. Once you get to a certain point with good cans, you are comparing subtle differences. Are the subtle differences worth the extra cost? Only you can decide for yourself what you are willing to pay for your listening experience and if the differences (gross or subtle) are worth it to YOU.

Best bet is to talk with some of the forum sponsors like Todd the Vinyl Junkie and see if they will offer you an audition. If this is not an option, then you may want to try them from a vendor with a good return policy. I only recommend this if you are serious about buying them. Vendors who offer return policies are in business to make money and should not be taken advantage of for the purpose of "renting" out product if you are not serious about making a purchase.

I may be auditioning the E5 and the Ety ER4 in a couple weeks too just because I'm curious - no one can make up my mind for me and no one should make up your mind for you - try them yourself and see.

I hope this helps.

Apr 8, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #12 of 13
If the analytical sound is what you are looking for, then you should give the Etymotic ER-6 a try. It is cheaper than the E3 and you will find it to sound as good if not better than the E3 IMO.

Apr 8, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I need to replace my lost Shure E2s and I'm wondering if the E3s are worth double the price. Has anyone done a comparison here at Head-fi -- I can't find a review with the search fuction.

Here's another E2 vs. E3 review for you:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/sho...threadid=22899

I know, I know...it's an iPodlounge post. But seriously, give it a read, a very nice review that is more along the lines of a Head-Fi review, compared to the normal iPodlounge cr@p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back